SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
Oct 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #331 of 594
Quote:
I'm not sure what headfiers are trying to achieve in doing a comparison between the LL & BHSE, SQ wise they're both excellent amps and I'm sure owners of either are extremely happy with theirs.

The folks who don't own either of them want to know which is better, so they know which one to buy, of course.
wink.gif

That said, I personally still don't get why Head-Fiers are trying to compare a solid-state electrostatic amp to a hybrid one. IMO the most appropriate competition for the LL is the KGSS/KGSSHV. I've heard the LL and owned the KGSS, and IMO they're roughly in the same territory, sonically. This is just a guess but I'd be willing to bet that if I could set up the LL vs BHSE on my own setup at home, the BHSE would eat the LL for breakfast, because it certainly ate the KGSS! And yes, I'm willing to eat crow btw.
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #333 of 594
Quote:

The folks who don't own either of them want to know which is better, so they know which one to buy, of course.
wink.gif

That said, I personally still don't get why Head-Fiers are trying to compare a solid-state electrostatic amp to a hybrid one. IMO the most appropriate competition for the LL is the KGSS/KGSSHV. I've heard the LL and owned the KGSS, and IMO they're roughly in the same territory, sonically. This is just a guess but I'd be willing to bet that if I could set up the LL vs BHSE on my own setup at home, the BHSE would eat the LL for breakfast, because it certainly ate the KGSS! And yes, I'm willing to eat crow btw.
tongue.gif

Just curious where the Aristaeus fits in here?

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #334 of 594
When I'm buying audio equipment I'm obviously wanting SQ, but I'm also after build quality and reliability. I don't know anything about the LL but was told by someone I have great trust in, that Justin goes out of his way to get everything perfect so that was a big incentive in me getting the BHSE.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #337 of 594
Not really sure why people keep bringing this one up. Build quality wise maybe, but I think having something that sits on a shelf and plays music is a pretty easy life. You aren't going to lift 2 of them for weight training.

Reliability wise out of Alex's 2 current production amps I never had a single issue and many others could report the same experience. 

Quote:
When I'm buying audio equipment I'm obviously wanting SQ, but I'm also after build quality and reliability. I don't know anything about the LL but was told by someone I have great trust in, that Justin goes out of his way to get everything perfect so that was a big incentive in me getting the BHSE.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #338 of 594
Quote:
Not really sure why people keep bringing this one up. Build quality wise maybe, but I think having something that sits on a shelf and plays music is a pretty easy life. You aren't going to lift 2 of them for weight training.

Reliability wise out of Alex's 2 current production amps I never had a single issue and many others could report the same experience. 

There's reliability in the design/build and reliability once it's out the door (prompt service of any issues that may arise.)  Alex's designs have good reliability on both fronts.  I have heard similarly good things of Justin's builds but haven't had the pleasure of experiencing it first hand yet.  

Quote:

Yes, the OII MKI - not sure why you're asking though.

So he knows what to look for when he's robbing your house.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #339 of 594
If an amp only came down to SQ, and if I didn't have the BHSE, I'd be very happy with the LL. But when I plugged my 009's into IanG's LL it was a nerve racking experience for me because the sockets on the LL were extremely tight, so much so I was afraid the pins on my 009 were going to stay in the LL's sockets. I've had no such problem with the BHSE. Build quality and reliability are very important to me because there's less chance of breaking down. I'd never buy anything on SQ alone.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #340 of 594
Quote:
But when I plugged my 009's into IanG's LL it was a nerve racking experience for me because the sockets on the LL were extremely tight, so much so I was afraid the pins on my 009 were going to stay in the LL's sockets. 

Yeah, that was a What moment for me too, and I think he's got quite a few complaints over said tightness. I hope the next run will feel just right in this aspect.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #342 of 594
Yeah, the LL's jacks were a problem for me as I have arthritis, and removing the plugs literally hurt. Over time however they do break in and become easier to handle, and Alex loosened them up a bit for me.

The pin concern is a very real one: I've had the pins on an old plug come off in an amp socket before. These were vintage stats however.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #343 of 594
Gotta say I'm in that camp, too. I unplug mine every time I'm done listening at the moment because I keep them in their box when not on my head. 

They're simply just too tight. While they are loosening up a bit, it's still rough. 

Hoping Alex gives an 'upgrade' path if he adds new features. Heck, if I can get him to swap to the new case (if I like it) I'd be excited. :D

Quote:
Those jacks bugged the heck out of me.  

The new units should not have that issue - in addition the new run (should be about February) will have some fancier casework for those who thought the LL too pedestrian in looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back