SR-71A Landed Today...
Sep 27, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #46 of 56
I have put in one set of alkalines and this is Sat. I turned it off overnight once so I am getting quite a run. The SR-71A is sounding extremely good, powerful and open.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waiting for musicmakers review...
tongue_smile.gif

I have about 40 hours or so on the SR-71A. Would like to get it to 200 hours. Trying not to say too much about the sound until then. At that point, I'll directly compare with the iQube (and the one I like lesser will go to the FS section). Will post my impressions.

Sep 27, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have put in one set of alkalines and this is Sat. I turned it off overnight once so I am getting quite a run. The SR-71A is sounding extremely good, powerful and open.

Hey Jamato, if you get a chance, could do you a blind A/B test between the SR-71A and the Predator (amp section only)? I need a compelling argument for me to go through the hassle of selling the Predator and getting the SR-71 lol

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

I don't quite understand. Can you state that again and type slower this time? :^)

I have already 75 hours on a pair of alkaline batteries. So lets assume that a pair of alkaline batteries last 75 hours. At CVS I can buy a pair of their store brand alkaline 9 volts for $2.99 and get a second pair for free. So I can get a total of 27 pairs for $81 plus I would get 27 pairs for free. Total of 54 pairs of 9 volt alkaline batteries.

The 57 pairs translate to 54 X 75 = 4050 hours of use. Two of the 500 mAh lithiums w/ a charger will set you back about $85. If we assume you will use your amp 3 hours a day then: 4050/3= 1350 days of use or about 3 years and 8 months of use.

Most of us do not keep amps 3+ years, thus getting the 500 mAh lithium batteries may be a waste of money. Just food for thought.

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #50 of 56
Waste of money or resources? We already have an earth being swamped with landfills and toxic waste. So what do you do with all those used up alkaline batteries? Lets see: 57 pairs of batteries vs 1 pair?

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by user1029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Jamato, if you get a chance, could do you a blind A/B test between the SR-71A and the Predator (amp section only)? I need a compelling argument for me to go through the hassle of selling the Predator and getting the SR-71 lol

Sure but I have to let the SR-71A get a few more hours but I got to say that it acts more like a big amp with drive and speed. I mean this amp is incredibly fast and I can not emphasize that enough. Fast as in no smearing of the frequencies and a clean and powerful bass that is still natural.

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the white is beautiful!
beerchug.gif

Yup, the white is indeed beautiful... was a little unsure when saw the pics of the grey one posted the other day, but happy once I saw the white SR#066 reach my hands 5 hours back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to Mr Ray Samuels for the great service and fast delivery. I feel your amps are works of art for how good they sound and look.
beyersmile.png

The amp's sounding powerful and fast, though mine only ran for the few hours. I am sure it will be even better after more burn in.
happy_face1.gif

Guess my Predator will still be my on the go amp due to it's relative size and weight. Since getting these 2 amps, my others amps seemed destined to be F.S. soon enough.
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #53 of 56
Hello, Wow this is interesting! I really wonder how htis amp compares with the iqube and maybe the new rudi portable amp (though not many people seem to have that amp). And then there is the lisa of course... Though I thought both the lisa and the iqube are really neutral though I myself have only owned the iqube...
Greetings, Anouk,

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Waste of money or resources? We already have an earth being swamped with landfills and toxic waste. So what do you do with all those used up alkaline batteries? Lets see: 57 pairs of batteries vs 1 pair?

My point was only on the economics of the decission. Not the environmental impact w/ if discussed could get quite interesting. Not only do you have the landfill issues but you also have the carbon footprint of both alternatives, and lets not even discussed the issue of jobs lost due to stoping the production of the alkaline batteries.

Yes it would be a very complex and to some very dear discussion. Better not started here and risk getting this thread shut.

Back on topic. The SR71 w/ 100 hours of burn in is sounding very nice.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back