SR-404 and/or SR-303 Burn In - Is this what's needed?
May 2, 2008 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

webbie64

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright. I've read various thread info and want to confirm.

Summarising what I've read (see quotes below) the SR-404 or 303:
  1. benefits from burn-in/settling time
  2. is immediately improved within 72 hours of burn in from the combination of the stator becoming fully charged up (something it needs a few hours to fully do) and continuous 72+hours burn in.
  3. Beyond this time, with regular use, it will continue to improve with burn in up to and including a total of 300 hours, whereupon it settles (but will still need a few hours charge if it is not used for some time).
Please confirm/add comments...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the way I felt with the 404 top end, new vs. burned in. Not subtle. Not "huge", but not "subtle". IMO if I wasn't so familiar with my LP's then the 404's would have sounded (mostly) excellent, but when compared their top end was seemingly more detailed but in reality it was false due to a hint of glassyness. Now that's gone and the 404's are still seeming to improve with age. They are now balanced (relatively) but with additional age they seem to be getting more refined, like a fine wine or an elegant lady, polishing with age.

The 72 hour burn in mellowed the top and now with additional time they are adding subtleties. So I kinda lied that 72 hours will do it for 404's, in total, but it brings the 404's down to the spectral balance I expect with a Stax. The top mellows, the upper midrange loses a slight bit of forward projection and the lower midrange tames a slight bit of extra chestiness that I wasn't use to in Stax. Please understand, however, that statement of change is said within the clause of Stax listening - very subtle.

There remains a bit (tiniest) bit warthm remaining in the midrange compared to LP's, and it still seeming adds refinement every time I listen; I am no longer burning it in just listening when I want to. They do indeed seem slightly harder to charge than the LP's; the LP's on my amp seemed only to take a few minutes but the 404's seem to have a noticable charge time, however less (much) on my system than KR's. Maybe 10 to 15 or so, possibly more or less; I'll have to pay closer attention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll find my comments about 404 burn in, about 300 hours. Which, thanks to "average" listening, indeed just might be 6 months.

Just set up your 404's to play when you are not around, when you are around - 24 hours a day. Come back to listen about 7 days later and they will sound quite different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS4ME /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted the thread here. My burn-in method is on #19. After first 70hrs you can hear improvement. EB or NO EB you decide. Hopes it helps
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS4ME /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got great result from the following burn-in method:
I use the XLO burn-in CD Track 9 on repeat mode. with solid-state srm-313 or srm-717.The amps take turns in the burn-in process.

Hours ....... Vol setting ....... Remarks
0-70 ........... 3-4 .......... My normal listerning level
70-120 ....... .... 5-6
120-250 ....... ... 6-7 .......... Exteremely LLLLOUD!!!!
>250 .......... 3-4 .. Auctual listerning starts with CDs

* Sorry! I am not a computer expert, thus not knowing how to create a cell fot the above.

During the burn-in process, I did listern to the 404 intermittently, but I did not pass any judgement as they are still in the ageing process. But I can definately recall my first hour with them.....Occasionaly, I played track 7 and 8 to demagnetize them.
For your info: according to stax, the 404 requires 6 mths-1year ,depending on how often you listern to it, to reach its full potential with normal music and under normal listerning level.

May 2, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 9
I did not see any difference beyond two weeks of regular listening with my brand new SR-303 and used SRM-1 MKII Pro. The first few days there were minor improvements, but beyond that I did not really hear any change. The sound appeared to be more organic in about two weeks. I also never run the phones continuously for more than ~10 hours per day.

May 3, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 9
electrostats need to be charged up for a few hours, especially if they haven't been played for a long time (or ever yet). This might account for some of the perceived burn-in discussed above. Burn-in with electrostats isn't the same as with dynamic headphones.

May 8, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 9
I had an old sr-303 (4-6 years) and a almost new one (20-40 hours) side by side
There was not much difference between the two (far less difference than between a Lambda from an older series). The older one was a bit more relaxed though. I sold the older one in the knowledge that the newer st-303 will only get better.

May 9, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 9
I didn't really notice any burning-in. It did take around 15-30min for the sound to stabilise from a cold-start, but nothing notable after that.

May 9, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 9
I have never heard any difference from my headphones new and "burned-in". There's a small difference when the amp is cold and after about an hour, doesn't matter if it's a tube amp or SS.

May 9, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Even my CDP needs about 5 minutes of warm-up time. Might it be the capacitors charging up or transistors literally heating up to operating temperature?

May 9, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 9
sorry for the hijack, but i've heard the sr-303's are very close to the sr-404's performance wise. how about the sr-202's? are they in the same ballpark as well? or are they noticeably/considerably inferior? thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry for the hijack, but i've heard the sr-303's are very close to the sr-404's performance wise. how about the sr-202's? are they in the same ballpark as well? or are they noticeably/considerably inferior? thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Same ballpark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back