SR-007 O2 MKII for Electronica/Metal
Aug 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #31 of 38

Quote:
I've been scouring the HF archives through Google but was having no luck finding any information on the following question.  Does anyone know if the Berkeley Audio DAC Alpha would pair well with the SR-007s?  After spending too many hours digging through reviews for $2-5k DACs, I think I have my heart set on the BADA.

Also, would anyone have any recommendations on good websites to look for used equipment (high-end DACs)?  I check Audiogon frequently but the last BADA is going to be removed from listing.  It seems like the Minerva is a bit cheaper used, but I like how the comparison reviews say the BADA is more analog sounding than the Minerva.  There are a few dealers where I live, but I'd like to prioritize a used unit; I don't want to pester a dealer unless I'm ready to buy new.

I don't meet the posting guidelines for a WTB post on HF yet, and it seems like there have only been a few posted on the HF classifieds.  Thanks for any help on this request!

From what I've heard the DAC8 should be very competitive with the Alpha DAC, and one of those is for sale on Audiogon. If you're willing to spend $3500+ on a used Alpha DAC, I would definitely suggest giving serious consideration to the Empirical Overdrive, especially if you want to connect to a computer via USB. The Overdrive has that built in. There's also a Levinson 30.5 there, which is a legendary, two chassis monster of a DAC. Very few companies build em like that today, and the ones that do charge $20 grand.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #32 of 38
I am now the proud owner of a SR-007 O2 MKII and Woo GES :)

n3rdling: Thank you for pointing me towards epocs!  I met him today in-person and we had a great chat and he let me demo his equipment before signing on the deal (plus a nice free lunch!).  He's a really upstanding guy, and he mentioned that your gear with the BHSE is awe-inspiring.  He's the first guy I've ever met from the Head-Fi community, and with him giving such a great impression, I'm really looking forward to attending my first meetup.

DaveBSC: I also bought a black Berkeley Audio DAC Alpha today and will be receiving it in several weeks.  I appreciate all of your great advice on DACs (as well as everyone else who chimed in on this thread), though it's caused me to stay up late every night reading up on all the recommended models!  Based on the comments here and on other forums, the BADA narrowly beat out the Minerva and ARC DAC8 for me (I like the idea of having a really expansive soundstage, excellent 24bit support, and an analog-sounding DAC), and I was really happy to find a model with the limited black case.

I'll post more detailed impressions as I get more used to the setup, but coming from my SR225i and GS-1 setup, I don't feel the sound is thin or weak in bass through the GES.  The amazing thing about the O2s is how non-fatiguing they are.  If I listen to my Grados too loudly, I get a headache, but the O2s are... effortless to listen to?  It's hard to find the right word, but with these electrostats, the music doesn't sound aggressive and has a very laidback feel, without sacrificing detail or presence.  I don't hear the huge soundstage a lot of other O2 owners have mentioned, but maybe that'll come after I upgrade my gamma2 to the BADA?  I have some guesses as to where the GES falls short compared to the BHSE, WES, and DIY T2, but for now, it was such a massive upgrade that I'll be happy for awhile.

Again, I really appreciate all the comments and PMs I've received with advice.  This is a great community and I wish I signed up a long time ago
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #33 of 38

Quote:
I am now the proud owner of a SR-007 O2 MKII and Woo GES :)

DaveBSC: I also bought a black Berkeley Audio DAC Alpha today and will be receiving it in several weeks.  I appreciate all of your great advice on DACs (as well as everyone else who chimed in on this thread), though it's caused me to stay up late every night reading up on all the recommended models!  Based on the comments here and on other forums, the BADA narrowly beat out the Minerva and ARC DAC8 for me (I like the idea of having a really expansive soundstage, excellent 24bit support, and an analog-sounding DAC), and I was really happy to find a model with the limited black case.

Nice work. How will you be connecting your computer to the Alpha DAC? I would definitely take a look at John Kenny's modified Hiface MK3, as I don't think there's a challenger at that price in terms of performance. You could spend $1700 on the Berkeley converter, but I wonder if there would be any improvement there.

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #35 of 38

Quote:

I'll post more detailed impressions as I get more used to the setup, but coming from my SR225i and GS-1 setup, I don't feel the sound is thin or weak in bass through the GES.  The amazing thing about the O2s is how non-fatiguing they are.  If I listen to my Grados too loudly, I get a headache, but the O2s are... effortless to listen to?  It's hard to find the right word, but with these electrostats, the music doesn't sound aggressive and has a very laidback feel, without sacrificing detail or presence.

Well, yeah. Did you even read ANY of my posts? Anyways, enjoy!

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Well, yeah. Did you even read ANY of my posts? Anyways, enjoy!

Haha, the comments from your post were some of the first things I was thinking when I put the MK2s on for the first time :)

At first I was a little disappointed since I remember what a huge difference there was going from the Grados to the LCD2, but then I started listening closer and I was noticing so much more detail and focus in the music.  The problem with the Grados is that I'd need to turn the music up loud to notice the details, but then the brightness inevitably begins to give me an earache and headache with the piercing quality of the sound.  The MK2s are really detailed even at low volume, and it's amazing how, when turned up loud, it still sounds really natural.  I demoed them for some colleagues who are also really into music and they seemed genuinely astonished.

I wonder if there'll be as dramatic a difference going from a $400 to $5000 DAC.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #38 of 38

Quote:
Haha, the comments from your post were some of the first things I was thinking when I put the MK2s on for the first time :)

At first I was a little disappointed since I remember what a huge difference there was going from the Grados to the LCD2, but then I started listening closer and I was noticing so much more detail and focus in the music.  The problem with the Grados is that I'd need to turn the music up loud to notice the details, but then the brightness inevitably begins to give me an earache and headache with the piercing quality of the sound.  The MK2s are really detailed even at low volume, and it's amazing how, when turned up loud, it still sounds really natural.  I demoed them for some colleagues who are also really into music and they seemed genuinely astonished.

I wonder if there'll be as dramatic a difference going from a $400 to $5000 DAC.

Yay! I wasn't on your ignore list
tongue.gif

Well now that your electrostatic virginity has been taken, I don't think you'll be impressed with anything else now.
o2smile.gif
  I do EQ my 007s a bit, but after that, I feel they are very neutral. Add the fact that the driver is so airy and has a lack of presence, it just seems even more neutral. And further add their exceptional layering ability (as opposed to soundstage which actually isn't that wide), then it really feels as if the Stax O2s are just presenting the music as it is. Neutral should feel like there is no discernible character from the sound and I feel the 007s can do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back