Squeezebox?
Dec 6, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just realized that my current remote is the same as the Transporter's! However, it doesn't appear to be backlit...
confused.gif

Transporter remotes are backlit. I may have been wrong about the SB3 remotes being backlit.

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, that's the general vibe I picked up on the reviews, but hearing it mentioned on a DAC I am familiar with is music to ears!

Well that's sealed it for me, going to pick up the black one (thanks for pointing that out Sleestack) and run it into my headfive > SA3k/990.

Can anyone recommend some decent interconnects from SB to H5?

Yep, the BlueJeans LC1; Which I have running from my H5 > SB3 works nicely @ 'bout $39 ;-}

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #33 of 58
I also agree that the sound quality is quite good... I actually prefered the stock analog outs to the digital outs into a zhaolu 2 I was using and even though I now use a CIAudio VDA-2 with the squeezebox, it is not too terribly far behind.

Regarding interconnects, I would also recommend something simple like blue jeans cables and perhaps later think about a linear power supply like the bolder modded elpac which made a far bigger impact on the squeezebox than any of the interconnects I have tried.

And about the remotes, I bought a second squeezebox about a month ago and it did come with the new style remote, however it is also not backlit...

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend some decent interconnects from SB to H5?

I'm using Blue Jeans Cable, the default configuration - I guess that's LC1.

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Transporter remotes are backlit. I may have been wrong about the SB3 remotes being backlit.

Yep, read the Slim Devices forums & I need to purchase the backlit from them directly.

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #36 of 58
Hmm.... this discussion is opening up all kinds of ideas.... would going Comp>SB->DAC->amp->phones be any different than Comp>USBDAC>Amp>Phones?

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.... this discussion is opening up all kinds of ideas.... would going Comp>SB->DAC->amp->phones be any different than Comp>USBDAC>Amp>Phones?

I would believe so, with the latter depending on how well USB is implemented. It's the setup I used to have and my initial impressions from using the SB as a transport, the music sounds cleaner than connecting comp directly to USB. I still need to burn in the SB & new cable I purchased so I would imagine it should improve even more.

Dec 15, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #38 of 58
Hey guys do you know if the SB works with VBR (variable bit rate) MP3's?

I have an excellent encoder and encode all my WAV rips to VBR mp3 as it is almost indistinguishable and saves a heck of a lot of space.

Dec 15, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #39 of 58
I'm having difficulty understand what exactly the squeezebox does. Its a streaming system (for connecting your PC to your stereo) with a built-in DAC, correct? Or does it also act as storage of the songs as well?

Dec 15, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj
I'm having difficulty understand what exactly the squeezebox does. Its a streaming system (for connecting your PC to your stereo) with a built-in DAC, correct? Or does it also act as storage of the songs as well?

Going to the SB means:

Comp>network........|wifi or wired|......network>SB>DAC>AMP>PHONES

The main point being that the SB and your audio rig is now totally disconnected from the computer and can be anywhere in the house. (Anywhere you have network that is)

Also the SB can connect to the internet, even if your PC is off. The SB can pull thousands of internet radio stations, and the Slim folks maintain a server called "Squeezenetwork" on which they serve up a bunch of content of their own, like archives of live shows.

On your home PC you run a program called "Slimserver" which you point at your music collection. Your PC hard drive stores the files. [I run slimserver on an old laptop connected to a USB2 external HD storing my music] Slimserver reads in the tags from the files, builds a database of metadata, and finally serves up (streams) your music on the network. Your SB connects to your PC over the network and converts the stream into PCM for your DAC. (Or analog audio)

You can drive the whole deal with the remote control, or via a web-page interface.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Dec 15, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys do you know if the SB works with VBR (variable bit rate) MP3's?

I have an excellent encoder and encode all my WAV rips to VBR mp3 as it is almost indistinguishable and saves a heck of a lot of space.

It certainly does! I have a few old albums ripped in VBR mp3 format.

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #42 of 58
Great!
I'm pretty close to ordering one but now I've got to make up my mind if I really want that black one or not.

I can get the current one for $350 CAD + taxes (incl. shipping) from an authorized Canadian reseller, but the black one I'd have to order right from Slim Devices, and it would be $331 shipped ($400 CAD) + customs
eek.gif
(probably would amount to $100-$150 or so more)

That kind of price difference makes it almost like a high class stereo component, where you pay the extra couple hundred for the black over the silver.
There's really no question that black bezel smokes the silver one, but sheesh $150 is a lot of cash especially when you factor in this thing is only a couple hundred in the first place
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #43 of 58
Maybe they'll make the black bezels available separately. I know I replaced a silver bezel. They just stick on there with adhesive strips.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just fired up my new black SB3. The remote is not backlit.

I have been having a blast streaming apple lossless from my laptop wirelessly as well as using Pandora without a computer powered up.

Next step is a network attached storage device to free me of the silver discs once and for all!

wc

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #45 of 58
Is anyone able to comment on the digital out of the Squeezebox compared to Emu 1212? I want to pick up a Squeezebox but this sound card sure has impressive spdif out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back