Squeezebox?
Dec 3, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SB3 is near perfect as a transporter.
compared to it's price, it is amazing !

I agree. If you don't need all the functionality of the Transporter and primarily want to use it as a digital transport, the SB3 is a great affordable alternative.

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #19 of 58
I have the SB2. I use Coax or Opt out to quality DACS. I compared to Cal Icon II (Power Boss upgrade) and Cal Delta as transports. IDENTICAL, as far as I can tell. As a transport, I could not hear any difference with an upgraded, linear 5V 2a PS. I play 320 KPS LAME CBR almost exclusively. My systems are pretty resolving, including EMP/PPX3 SD650/Cardas and Cal Alpha or EAD Encore as DACS and good tube and SS amps and highly rated speakers and cables. Nice stuff all around.

If these are differences between SB as a server of hi bit MP3s and the original CD they are so subtle that neither my golden-eared son nor I were able to distinguish better than chance. I thought I could hear a difference--but could not when blinded better than 6/10 times. This was SB2 and Cal Icon II into EAD Encore or 24/96 Cal Alpha DAC and switching after listening to a good reference song all the way through, or quick AB. I used three different speaker setups and the EMP with SB and Cal Icon as transport.

While the analog outs on the SB2 are quite decent (like a mid-fi CDP), they do NOT compare to a good DAC ultimately in any way.

I think in the next decade, there will be two types of 'transports': Vinyl and servers. I've sold all my transports keeping only the Cal Delta for tests and just in case.

I assume that upgrades affect the internal DAC/analog sections of the SB--but as a transport alone for a DAC, the SB is fine as is to my ear. However, I have not tried a real (i.e., expensive, modded, boutique) dedicated PS, only compared the stock (switching) to what seems like a nice linear 120V 5V/2a supply that powered a ZipDrive. No difference.

HP out on SB is nothing to write about.

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the absolute high end in computer audio check out Empirical Audio.
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/

I have 2 Transporters. One is fully modded, however not by them. I use Aberdeencomponets/Mauimods as my personal modder. He is very impressed with the layout and scope readings on the Transporter and has primarily focused on further reducing jitter, improving the analog out and further isolatiing and improving the power supply.

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 58
welll.... at this point I think rather than a Squeeze i'd be better off looking for a USB DAC to beat my X-Fi in terms of quality and lead into the Headfive. Dont want to spend obscene cash, either.

Dec 5, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangemusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
welll.... at this point I think rather than a Squeeze i'd be better off looking for a USB DAC to beat my X-Fi in terms of quality and lead into the Headfive. Dont want to spend obscene cash, either.

How come you are no longer looking at the Squeezebox? I currently use AV-710 > Headfive and I'm looking for a better DAC, I was thinking the SB was my answer.

I've been reading a lot of reviews and it seems perfect, there are a few tweaks out there that make it even better.

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #23 of 58
The Squeezebox is definitely an interesting looking device especially since the DAC is not too shabby like some said its similar to a mid-fi CD player. However would there be any benefit vs AV-710 to a DAC and Squeezebox to a DAC?

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #24 of 58
I stand corrected--though it depends on definition of mid-fi.

I was comparing to a Cal Icon CDP, which listed for around $1000 in its day and was highly regarded. The Icon was better, but the SB was respectable in comparison.

The SB is an incredible leap in the space. Quite remarkable for around $300. SD has a great team with great support as well, and their CEO is tuned to sites like this. Impressive outfit and products all around.

Dec 5, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #25 of 58
FYI. They are now selling all black SB3s with and upgraded (Transporter) backlit remote.

main.jpg

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #26 of 58
A minor issue but worth keeping in mind is that using the Squeezebox instead of a normal computer sound card frees you from thinking about drivers, kernel streaming, ASIO and all of that. Slimserver ships the files over to the Squeezebox*, and the Squeezebox clocks out the bits without interference from your OS.

In terms of sound quality, I found the Squeezebox analog-outs exactly on par with the HeadRoom Micro DAC. The two were, in fact, very nearly indistinguishable in at-home tests with my GLite and ER-4S, which is as revealing a combination as I own. I'm mentioning this not to contradict any "DAC so-and-so would be better" posts, but merely as a data point for those trying to position the SB in the spectrum of DACs.

*[size=xx-small]after transcoding, if necessary[/size]

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI. They are now selling all black SB3s with and upgraded (Transporter) backlit remote.

Ooh. New remote and all-black bezel. Nice!

Dec 5, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #28 of 58
Wow the black SB3 looks very sweet! makes me want one even more now!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #29 of 58
Rats! I just purchases mine last week...that all black bezel...
cool.gif

edit:

Just realized that my current remote is the same as the Transporter's! However, it doesn't appear to be backlit...
confused.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of sound quality, I found the Squeezebox analog-outs exactly on par with the HeadRoom Micro DAC. The two were, in fact, very nearly indistinguishable in at-home tests with my GLite and ER-4S, which is as revealing a combination as I own. I'm mentioning this not to contradict any "DAC so-and-so would be better" posts, but merely as a data point for those trying to position the SB in the spectrum of DACs.

Awesome, that's the general vibe I picked up on the reviews, but hearing it mentioned on a DAC I am familiar with is music to ears!

Well that's sealed it for me, going to pick up the black one (thanks for pointing that out Sleestack) and run it into my headfive > SA3k/990.

Can anyone recommend some decent interconnects from SB to H5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back