Squeezebox?
Dec 2, 2006 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

strangemusic

100+ Head-Fier
So, i've been reading up about computers/DACs/soundcards and honestly it's BLEEDIN' confusing... I've set up my X-Fi for bitperfect, but it seems to have messed up my iTunes library. As such a solution occurred to me: would a Squeezebox solve my problems and increase sound quality? or is it essentially the same thing in a different form?

Cheers,
Strange.

Dec 2, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 58
The SB3 (Squeezebox3) is at least 3 leagues ahead of any sub100$ Creative/EMU card. I owned EMU 0404 prior to purchasing of the SB3, and the difference was amazing ! it outperformed the EMU in nearly every aspect one can think of.
It is a great product for it's price and I doubt there is something right now out there on the market who can compete with it.

Not mentioning it has a huge modifying potential, I am about to receive my SB3 back from boulder's analog mod next week, I can't wait !

I f you have a lot of songs/files on your computer and U use Lossless files such as FLAC,APE and ALAC, it is the best !

Good luck !
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 58
AFAIK, yes.

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 58
I highly recommend the SB3 wired for ya computer as source CD ripping and catalouge! And the added versatility of high bit internet stations thru Squeezenetwork is a nice plus too!

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 58
So... if I were to go computer/SB3/split to t-amp and speakers one way and headphones the other, like I am doing now except replacing my X-Fi with the SB... i would want be using the Analogue out and one Digital...
in terms of sound quality, what sort of advice might be useful in maximizing what I can squeeze (no pun intended, really) out of each output?

Dec 3, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 58
Full Mod it !!!
eggosmile.gif
wink.gif
and get a moded elpac power supply.

It will cost about twice than the SB3 itself, buy it will take it to a whole different level, J/K.
I suggest you will start to listen to it as it is, cuse it really is a great source even in stock.

When you get the next "Upgradities", start finding out on SB3 upgrades.

What is your dac again ?
Unless you have a nice dac, I suggest you use the analog output for both connections, it is very good.
I guess you will need to have some sort of Y splitter for the Analog output.

Try to use Losseless audio as much as you can, try to use the volume level on the SB3 as high as you can(and use your amp volume attenuation), it has digital volume attenutation, It has been improved in the latest version, but I still think it can degrade sound, maybe with a high level of attenuation(getting the volume bar under a certain threshold).

When using the Digital output, You can set the volume to be fixed or variable, fixed means full signal level which bypases the volume attenuation (it wont be affected when you change the volume on the SB3).
Variable output means the signal level at the output will be varied by the volume settings on the SB3.
If you are going to connect it to a speaker setup, you can use the SB3 straight into a power amp, as the SB3 can act as a pre amp (volume attenuation).
So if you do have one, you can try using it straight out of the SB3, if from the digital, than it will be: Computer->SB3(digital)->DAC->Power Amp-> Speaker.
With analog:
Computer->SB3(analog)->Power Amp-> Speaker.

I assume you wanted to connect the digital output to your Headfive(DAC), but IMO the SB3 analog output will be better, you are more than welcome to try and see for yourself.

I heared some people did it and reported working pretty well.

I am talking way too much and I better stop now :p

Good luck
600smile.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a fully modded Red Wine Audio Squeezebox that sounds amazing wih my rig. Nothing else can compete unless you move up to the Olive Music Server which RWA aslo mods. http://www.redwineaudio.com/Olive.html

Enjoy.
Do!

Transporter.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 58
Sorry to thread jack, but this question is somewhat related. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade the squeezebox if I'm using it simply as a digital transport?

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO. See the FAQ:

http://faq.slimdevices.com/index.php...=58&artlang=en

My bad
frown.gif

I remembered that the SB3 can play Microsoft DRM content, hence the confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a fully modded Red Wine Audio Squeezebox that sounds amazing wih my rig. Nothing else can compete unless you move up to the Olive Music Server which RWA aslo mods. http://www.redwineaudio.com/Olive.html

Enjoy.
Do!

1. RWA doesn't perform the full mods for the SB3 anymore(Only Bolder or DIY).
2. Like Sleestack said, Transporter
eggosmile.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to thread jack, but this question is somewhat related. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade the squeezebox if I'm using it simply as a digital transport?

I would just upgrade the power supply if anything. Digital out has decent jitter numbers. I used the SB3 briefly and was very happy with it as a digital transport.

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 58
The SB3 is near perfect as a transporter.
compared to it's price, it is amazing !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back