Squeezebox?
Dec 20, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #46 of 58
Hi,

I'm using a bolder analog modded squeezebox 2 in my Hi-Fi system... It's very , very good ( big improvement from my old cambridge 640C)

Robert

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm using a bolder analog modded squeezebox 2 in my Hi-Fi system... It's very , very good ( big improvement from my old cambridge 640C)

Robert

How would you compare the stock unit analog and did you ever try digital out? That upgrade is pretty pricey, glad to hear it rocks! Thanks

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #48 of 58
Hi, Didn't hear the stock unit, Had it shipped straight to bolder cables... Stock it's suposed to sound like a budget cd-player ( <400 dollars)

I'm using it with a Bolder PS ( updated basic) , my mods are the gen2/platinum combo. Haven't tried the digital out either, sorry!

I'd go with the analog mods, you need a very expensive DAC to have the same sound of the analog mods.

Go to the audiocircle forum , and do some reading at the bolder cables circle.

( excuse me for recommending another forum)

Dec 20, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI. They are now selling all black SB3s with and upgraded (Transporter) backlit remote.

main.jpg

Wow that looks very impressive in all black.

Jan 17, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #50 of 58
It looks even better in person than in the pictures. It's also very very well put together. very slick indeed. I've had mine just a day and I'm very impressed. It's streaming flac's just beautifully over my wireless network, into my GLite and K340's. Sounds incredibly good
smily_headphones1.gif

It's worth mentioning that this source easily bests my old Nakamichi CD player sound wise, and the convenience of having 1500 + albums available almost instantly is not to be sneezed at either.

Oh and yeah, only the transporter RC is backlit. but you can buy one of SD(logitech) if you need it.

None more Black indeed

Feb 3, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #51 of 58
I have the Squeezbox 2 for well over 2 years now and I can not be more happy. It is connected through the digital output to a Monarchy Audio DIP and then to a Wadia 27 DAC.

Comparing the sound of my Wadia 20 CD transport + Wadia 27 DAC to the Squeezbox + DIP+ Wadia 27 I can not say it sounds the same but the Squeezbox combo is very close.

All my audiophile friends that have listened to my system using the Squeezbox have been very impressed on the quality of the sound. Using the DIP, good digital cables and a good DAC you will have many hours of listening pleasure out of the Squeezbox.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 24, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #52 of 58
Hi,

Is the built in DAC is Squeezebox sufficient, or does one need a separate DAC to go along with it?

I was originally set on purchasing a mediocre USB DAC like (under 300), but if SB's specs are good enough to render this unnecessary, I'm seriously considering it.

Thanks,

Regards,

David

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #53 of 58
The built-in DAC is IMO at the same level as the HeadRoom Micro DAC; I A/B'd them carefully to answer this question for myself.

I consider that good enough that I haven't felt much urgency to add an external DAC in the year-plus that I've been a SqueezeBox listener, but your mileage may vary.

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #54 of 58
The Squeezebox totally rocked my world!

It more than anything else was responsible for the resurgence of my interest in audio as a hobby.

I can't praise this little box enough, it IMHO one of the best products you could ever possibly consider buying.

I would never part with mine having had it for almost a year. A+++++

Get one, get it now.

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #55 of 58
^ ditto ^

I love mine, not just the interface but the pure quality of sound it produces.

This is a must have if you listen to MP3, Flac etc... even if you don't IMO it's worth ripping your collection to your hard drive, never will you have to use your legs again to change out the CD!
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #56 of 58
The guys at Slim Devices hooked me up with a couple of Squeexeboxes and a Transporter for the National Meet. O! M! G! I love these things! I'm not going to go into any long drawn out explanation (because I'm having too much fun listening to a sweet French internet radio station) but I think this must be a music addicts coolest toy ever. Pandora is fun; surfing my music collection at lightning speed is fun; synchronizing music listening around the house without running any wires is fun; man, what a fun gizmo!

I will never be without a Slim box again, ever!

(Now, how am I gonna wangle a big, bad boy, network attached storage device into my world.)

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #57 of 58
For those that have used the squeezebox 3 as an analog out to a headphone amp, how did you set the volume on the squeezebox? Is it similar to how you use a computer where you max the device out and then control the volume with the amplifier?

I tried using my Tomahawk once but quickly felt the mac mini using a cheap line out to the TH sounded a lot better. But I must say, I did not play with it much since I felt the lineout from the computer was good enough.

From the squeezebox I use a monster rca to mini to the TH and had shure e500 IEM on. To be honest It sounds pretty bad. Much, much worse than the ipod/jumbo cryo.

I now have a corda aria that I use with dt990 '05 and it can take a R/L input from the squeezebox, but I wonder if it's worth it. The corda aria already sounds great through USB from the computer. It sure would be nice to move the amp over by the squeebox so I could listen more comfortably and change music easier.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those that have used the squeezebox 3 as an analog out to a headphone amp, how did you set the volume on the squeezebox? Is it similar to how you use a computer where you max the device out and then control the volume with the amplifier?

That's what I do most of the time. But sometimes I drop the SB volume somewhat to give myself a less sensitive volume control on the amp, if I'm listening on a sensitive headphone.

There's a good post on the SlimDevices forums where company head Sean Adams talks about the theoretical effect of turning down the volume on the Squeezebox: "The SNR will simply decrease with the signal level, all the way down."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back