Squeezebox Touch
Apr 26, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #61 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway back on topic after that unintended threadjack.

One thing I'm not so sure of on the touch is the screen size. THE SB3's screen is ~5.75" diagonal/horizontal, and 5/8" vertical (although it doesn't use all the vertical) it's nice to have that horizontal space for long titles. It's also easily readable from a distance even with medium fonts. The Touch's is 4.3" diagonal but with more vertical. Showing cover art is nice but I wonder how it will compare for readability from a distance.

To those of you who have the Touch, how does the viewable screen size compare to the Classic? Is it large enough to have on the other side of the room and still be able to read the track info and see the album art? This looks great but I am having a real hard time getting a sense of the screen size. How close do you have to be for this to be viewable?

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #62 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks XXII for your impressions.
Can you compare the digital output of the Classic with the one in the Touch?
Also, Are you using the built-in squeezebox server (so the hard drive attached to the USB input) or are you running the server on a PC/NAS?
Thanks

I'm using the built-in squeezebox server.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XXII,

How does it support the Chinese characters?

Any web links to show how to patch the Touch?

Adding Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. Fonts to Your Controller - SqueezeboxWiki

This is the instructions for how to add Chinese characters to the ipod duet controller. The method is exactly the same: Unzip the file into a sd card and plug it into the touch. It will install automatically.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #63 of 109
Hey buddy, I don't have very good eyes, but I can read it from about 5 feet away with the normal font. With the large font, I would say 10. Never had the classic, can't comment.

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #64 of 109
I found the SqueezeBox Server version 7.5 on PC does not support the Chinese characters. The music library scanning does not recogize the Chinese music, version 7.3 is OK for double bytes. However Touch does not work with version 7.3.

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #65 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the SqueezeBox Server version 7.5 on PC does not support the Chinese characters. The music library scanning does not recogize the Chinese music, version 7.3 is OK for double bytes. However Touch does not work with version 7.3.

That's strange, Squeezebox server 7.5 works with Chinese Characters for me (I'm using the linux version though).

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #66 of 109
Squeezebox Server 7.5 works most of the time for Chinese Characters. I have a few CDs that either don't pick up the folder name correctly or the song ID is not displayed correctly. But on the whole, it seems to work. I am using a SB3/Classic tho. I'm not sure what is wrong since it worked prior to updating to this version. I am also using W7 now but was using XP before.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #68 of 109
I've disabled the iTunes library scan in my setup already since I don't use iTunes. Chinese characters work for almost all of my albums, just a handful that don't work. I'll try re-scanning to see if that works.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #69 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by gooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey buddy, I don't have very good eyes, but I can read it from about 5 feet away with the normal font. With the large font, I would say 10. Never had the classic, can't comment.

Hey there, thanks for the response gooky. Maybe I just need to find a retail shop here in town that sells it to see if it will be big enough. I was shocked to see how small the SB Classic was when I saw it in person, and want to make sure the screen on the Touch is big enough to make it worthwhile.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #70 of 109
I just got mine today. Software seems at least a bit clunky. It pauses every once in a while when you are playing a song and browse the other folders and some time it won't recognize my laptop. The screen is ok but I think I preferred the old one better since it was bigger and more visible from the couch 2 meters away. Its angle is all wrong and not adjustable. In terms of sound quality I think its a step up from the old one. I use it to feed my Esoteric DAC and it sounds close to the Cary cd player I use as a transport. I will try some high res files tonight.

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #72 of 109
Has anyone been able to compare the Touch as a transport versus the M2Tech hiFace? I am on the fence as whether to go the hiFace/netbook/USB hard drive or the Touch/USB hard drive.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #73 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by laevi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone been able to compare the Touch as a transport versus the M2Tech hiFace? I am on the fence as whether to go the hiFace/netbook/USB hard drive or the Touch/USB hard drive.

I am facing the same dilemma.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #74 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMan007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious to hear comparisons of the internal DAC (ie: using analog outputs) versus external ones, in addition to using it as a digital transport especially versus the SB Classic v3.

Compared to the Esoteric DAC it doesn't even hold a candle. The Esoteric smacks it upside down with bigger soundstage, more base, better imaging. Mind you these are qualities that are important in my speaker setup but they might not be as important for headphone setups (i sold mine a long time ago). Against the classic SB3 its an upgrade as transport. The key reason i bought it is because it can play 24bit/96hz files. If it couldn't I would probably stick to the classic one.

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #75 of 109
Just ordered mine and should be coming in tomorrow. It will be replacing my SB3 in my bedroom rig feeding the iBasso D10. SB3 will then get shuffled off into the project room/library/storage.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back