Squeezebox Touch
May 4, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #91 of 109
Hey, do any users notice better performance using SD cards instead of USB? Because I tried out an 8 gb SD card for the first time today, pretty much full of music, and it scanned pretty fast. I have more content on the USB hard drive though, so that may be the issue. Can anyone share their experience?

May 19, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #92 of 109
A tip for Squeezebox Classic owners I found on the slimdevices forum: if you use FLAC set your server to output PCM; that way the ' unzipping'  from FLAC to PCM is done on the server, not on the squeezebox.
In my case, this resulted in a noticeable better SQ.
Don't know about other players and other formats, but it is worth trying, as it is completely free and very easy.

May 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #93 of 109
Squeezebox Touch from bricks and mortar store in Honolulu?

Hoping someone may be able to help me. My wife will be in Hawaii for work for a week from Wednesday. The US online price for the Squeezebox Touch is significantly cheaper than here in Australia, however we can't order direct. I have asked to her to grab me one, if possible, when she is in Hawaii, but I need to tell her exactly where to go.

So, can anyone tell me a store in Honolulu that stocks them, and the pricing if possible?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #96 of 109
Just to share some of my experience with Touch.  I had it for about a week and it has been operating error-free from day one.  I am using SBS with touch instead of relying on its internal server.  I am also controlling a Transporter and SB3 with SBS.

I  am using the touch with a Bolder Elpac PS; and the analog out quality is excellent.  Since it's in my second system, I don't know how it will fare against the main rig.  But based on what I am hearing, I think its analog out is just excellent. 

One feature of Touch that I particularly like is the ability to control my Transporter and SB3 directly from Touch using the same interface as Touch.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #98 of 109
Hey, I'm a squeeze box duet user, below are my issues

-The server software is a remnant of server software from early 00
-The interface on the web server is pathetic flash based monstrosity which is hard to control
-The remote Is fantastic and less buggy my only issue is that it's too bulky
-The squeezebox controller is fine unless you want to change between different computers or from music to Internet music
-The whole thing is too SLOW

Im gen y instant gratification is important to me and my tv warped mind.

From time to time I have to spend up to ten minutes fiddling before it all works.

I am simply stuck with this sb until I have another solution

Hopefully the touch has improved on the above when I buy it

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #99 of 109
The SBS is pretty fast - I perceive no noticeable delay.

The web control works well - it is a little slow when its updating the DB, which is expected.

The touch user interface works well and is easy to use.

I generally have no reason to touch/fiddle with the SBS unless I am updating to a new version. 

Be sure to check out the software mods.  I noticed an immediate improvement in sound quality after applying the mods. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #100 of 109

Quote:
Hey, I'm a squeeze box duet user, below are my issues

-The server software is a remnant of server software from early 00
-The interface on the web server is pathetic flash based monstrosity which is hard to control
-The remote Is fantastic and less buggy my only issue is that it's too bulky
-The squeezebox controller is fine unless you want to change between different computers or from music to Internet music
-The whole thing is too SLOW

Im gen y instant gratification is important to me and my tv warped mind.

From time to time I have to spend up to ten minutes fiddling before it all works.

I am simply stuck with this sb until I have another solution

Hopefully the touch has improved on the above when I buy it

There is 0 flash in the stock SBS software so not sure what you are using that has "pathetic flash" in it?

I have been running Squeezebox since the SB1 and have found it very responsive and do not find it slow.  So not sure why you would find it so slow.

Your complaint about swapping between computers is valid, however the device was designed around the central server model.  If you setup you music system similarly things work much better.  If you want whole house music served from a central database of music the SB line works really well.  If you do not fit that model it is not really the best device.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #101 of 109
Mr_Junesequa is probably referring to Adobe Flash.

I haven't personally had any issues with slowness with my Squeezebox classics, perhaps it's an issue with the Duet? The server software works fine and has been updated consistently.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #102 of 109
I pulled the trigger and got myself a SB Touch off AudigoN and it is currently in transit to Malaysia. I don't find many feedback using Touch as a source to feed the music here. This is a replacement to my current SB Classic 3 and wonder should I call it an upgrade.

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #104 of 109
I just wanted to point out that if you plan to use the Touch with a external hard drive, you're better off using a drive that spins at 7200 rpm, instead of those backup external hard drives.  I haven't had any problems since I started using my old laptop drive.  And it's fast too; I guess the the problem was the external hard drive I was using, not the Touch.  Though it does stop reading every once in a while.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #105 of 109

Quote:
I pulled the trigger and got myself a SB Touch off AudigoN and it is currently in transit to Malaysia. I don't find many feedback using Touch as a source to feed the music here. This is a replacement to my current SB Classic 3 and wonder should I call it an upgrade.

As I mentioned in the PS-thread (and repeat here, for the benefits of other readers) I made the transition from Classic to Touch and regret it:
The Touch sounds tight and upfront, the Classic had a large, friendly, slightly soft and musical sound with more perceived depth that I enjoyed more. 
However, it depends on the rest of your system; if you are in need of accuracy, no doubt the Touch provides more, the Classic seems to have far more jitter and RFI issues. 
Both players are used with SPDIF only in my system.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back