Squeezebox Duet->Stello da220 MKII dac->RWA Signature 30.2->Akg k1k->subwoofer
Jul 13, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #16 of 35
(here's another update)
Would you have any suggestions/tips/corrections on the order of connection and how to connect the devices:
1) connecting Squeezebox Duet with Stello DA220 Mk II DAC (I would use digital coaxial to bypass the Duet dac),
2) connecting Stello dac with HeadRoom Balanced Home (pre)amp (I would use Hovland G3 balanced XLR ic's)
3) connecting HeadRoom amp with Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 (I would use Cardas Quadlink 5c rca ic's)
Would I need a need a high-end digital coaxial cable to connect the Duet with the Stello dac (currently I have a
QED Qunex P75 Coaxial Cable (http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...e/Product.html) which is 50 cm in length? Would I need better RCA ic's to connect the HeadRoom amp with
the Signature 30.2 amp (like for example a Cardas Neutral Reference rca)?

Jul 13, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #17 of 35
Oh, it wasn't clear to me what you were asking before. So, here's what you're looking to do:

Squeezebox Duet -(digital output)> Stello DA220 Mk II -(XLR output)> HeadRoom Home Balanced

and

Squeezebox Duet -(digital output)> Stello DA220 Mk II -(RCA output)> Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2

Why not just use the analog outputs of the Stello DA220 Mk II as I've listed here? What's the point of always passing the signal through the HeadRoom Home Balanced?

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #18 of 35
I would integrate my HeadRoom preamp between the Stello and Signature 30.2 speaker amp. I would use the preamp to strengthen the signal, since it can be used as PREamp.

Jul 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would integrate my HeadRoom preamp between the Stello and Signature 30.2 speaker amp. I would use the preamp to strengthen the signal, since it can be used as PREamp.

That's unnecessary... The Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 has its own built-in preamplifier; running it through a stage beforehand will only degrade signal quality. Most of what a preamplifier does is signal attenuation, not amplification. Anything with a volume knob has a preamplifier section.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #20 of 35
Anyway, I will need the HeadRoom amp as preamp when I want to integrate an ACI subwoofer. From Aci: "#4: Separate Preamp & Amp:
Option #4 Separate Amp & Pre-Amp Shown with Y-Adapters. If your preamp has two sets of outputs you will not need the Y-Adapters. Use proper lengths of shielded interconnects to connect one set of outputs to your main amplifier and one set of outputs to your sub left and right inputs. (If using stereo subs you will run one interconnect to each sub).
Your main speakers will receive a full range signal. To reduce low frequency content to your main amp and speakers, use optional High Pass Filters plugged into the main amp inputs.
We feel that the optional passive filters as in #4 are a better choice for most audiophiles."
If I don't integrate the HeadRoom as preamp, then it won't be used very often anymore.
Thanks for your advice, I will try my rig a few times without the HeadRoom preamp and I will listen carefully if I do hear any difference.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's unnecessary... The Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 has its own built-in preamplifier; running it through a stage beforehand will only degrade signal quality. Most of what a preamplifier does is signal attenuation, not amplification. Anything with a volume knob has a preamplifier section.

Why do you believe the HeadRoom would degrade the signal quality (as you have noticed, I don't know much about preamp and amps)?

There are several ways to integrate the sub in your rig, you can check them out at ACI Force XL & Titan XL Subwoofer Hookup Options

Maybe, I could try out Option #3. From Aci:
"Option #3 Pre-Amp Outputs & Main Amp Inputs Use Y-Adapters to split the signals from the left and right preamp outputs. Connect one end of each Y-Adapter to left or right main amp input, (using a short RCA interconnect). Use proper lengths of shielded interconnects to connect the other ends of the Y-Adapters to the right & left inputs on the sub. (If using stereo subs you will run one interconnect to each sub).

Your main speakers will receive a full range signal. To reduce low frequency content to your main amp and speakers, use optional High Pass Filters plugged into the main amp inputs."

Jul 13, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #22 of 35
Connecting through the HeadRoom amp to get to the Red Wine Audio amp is bad because you're forcing the signal through a whole unnecessary input and output section. There should only be one preamplifier in the signal path at a given time.

Are you trying to use the subwoofer with both amps, or just one? It is a bad idea to connect more than one amp to a subwoofer's input (input loading). If you only want to use the sub with one of the two amps, just connect that amp's RCA outputs to the subwoofer's line input jacks, assuming it has them.

Option #3 doesn't work because what you have are two preamplifiers and no power amplifiers (though they do both have headphone amplifiers). If your other amp was strictly a power amplifier, you could send the preamp signal to it.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #23 of 35
I finally get it! I have read the HeadRoom's manual about the rear outputs: "This set of RCA connectors is for pre-amp applications. You can send a signal either to powered speakers or directly to a power amplifier
unit."
Now I am trying to find out how I should hook-up the subwoofer.
Option (Hookup) #3 looks exactly as the back of the Red Wine Audio Signature 30 (attachment).
If hookup #3 won't work then there is only hookup #4 left, which means that I am obliged to bring in the HeadRoom as preamp.
In the meantime, I have asked for Aci and HeadRoom support.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #24 of 35
Are you trying to use the subwoofer with both amps? You haven't said...

Also, there's no reason to do what's shown in Option #3. Don't get caught up by what's shown in the picture, because it's not clear what kind of device is on the right side. That picture doesn't make a lot of sense because the left and right channels are being combined and sent to the Right input. It would make more sense to just run two cables from the amp to the subwoofer: one from the Left output to the Left input, one from the Right output to the Right input.

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #25 of 35
I have asked Vinnie's opinion about this matter also
smily_headphones1.gif

I have tested the Duet - <- RCA IC's -> - Signature 30.2 and it really sounds much better then it did before
(Duet - <- optical cable -> - HeadRoom preamp - <- RCA IC's -> - Signature 30.2) ! Thanks for the tip.
Now I have to find out the most optimal hookup to integrate the subwoofer.
I will only use the HeadRoom for balanced headphones (I would love to try out a balanced Grado Hp! Too bad they are so rare
frown.gif
).

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #26 of 35
From Vinnie Rossie: "To connect to your sub, you want to use the volume controlled RCA output jacks of the Sig 30 (these are the lower RCA jacks) and connect them to the sub's line-level input jacks.

To connect your K1000s, you need to separate the L+, L-, R+, and R- wires of the K1000s. Then connect them to the speaker posts just like you would for home audio speakers.

Do not use any Y-adapters or high pass filters... this is all garbage :)

I do not recommend using the headroom headphone amp as a preamp... it will only degrade the sound.

Glad you are enjoying your upgraded Sig 30!

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Vinnie
"

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #27 of 35
I forgot to mention Vinnie that the sub doesn't have any speaker posts so the hookup below won't work. I have asked him about "to just run two cables from the amp to the subwoofer: one from the Left output to the Left input, one from the Right output to the Right input."

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #28 of 35
I found a Head-Fi'r who has +/- the same Akg rig as mine
smily_headphones1.gif

"Hi, I have a Force XL, RWA 30.2 and K1000s. Currently I'm running RCA cables off the back of the RWA 30.2 to the XL's line level inputs.

I am interested in trying speaker level inputs, but have not taken time to check with ACI to see if their subs support balanced speaker inputs. [CAUTION: RWA has balanced outputs. For the 30.2 you can only connect speaker level inputs to subs that support balanced amps (i.e. they do not share a common ground). So your choices are:

1.) Use line level inputs
2.) Check with ACI to see if your sub supports balanced speaker level inputs

Please report back on what you find and do. Good luck. Kent"

Jul 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #29 of 35
Reply from Vinnie: "Hi Alexander,

In your situation, the optimal connection is using the low-level (RCA) outputs of the Sig 30.2 to feed your subwoofer. Use the speaker outputs of the Sig 30.2 to feed your K1000s.

Please let me know how you are enjoying it!

Sincerely,

Vinnie Rossi
Red Wine Audio
www.redwineaudio.com"

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #30 of 35
The subwoofer + dac have arrived
smily_headphones1.gif

When the sub arrives I will know how to hook it up in my Akg rig
(upgraded RWA Sig 30(.2) <<-RCA low-level RCA ouputs >---- <sub's low-level RCA inputs->> subwoofer.
In the mean time I have to found out if my upgraded RWA Signature 30 still has balanced outputs. It might be better to try speaker level inputs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back