Squeezebox Duet->Stello da220 MKII dac->RWA Signature 30.2->Akg k1k->subwoofer
Jul 6, 2008 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
I hope I will bypass some built-in dac's by using digital connection?
Would this be the optimal order to connect my audio equipment?

1) Squeezbox Duet (source) (bypass Duet dac),
(1 and 2 are linked to each other via optical cable)
2) preamp HeadRoom Home Balanced (bypass preamp dac),
(2 and 3 are connected with optical cable)
3) Stello MKII dac (finally use the best dac available in my audio inventory)
(3 and 4 are connected to each other via RCA interconnects)
4) amp Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2

Would this be the optimal connection + order of connection to bypass all built-in dac's and finally only use the Stello dac?

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) preamp HeadRoom Home Balanced (bypass preamp dac),
(2 and 3 are connected with optical cable)
3) Stello MKII dac (finally use the best dac available in my audio inventory)

Wouldn't this leave the headroom doing nothing but passthrough?
confused.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 35
Yes, I would use the HeadRoom only as preamp. I would only use it as amp when I want to use my balanced headphones. I would use it as preamp when I use my Akg K1000.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 35
I just found out that the HeadRoom (pre)amp has no digital out. So the correct order of connection becomes:
2) Stello MKII dac (finally use the best dac available in my audio inventory)
(2 and 3 are connected via XLR balanced interconnects)
3) preamp HeadRoom Home Balanced (digital stream has been converted to analog by the Stello dac, thus bypassing preamp's dac),

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 35
I'm not sure i get your question right but i'll try
  1. *using a digital connection you DO bypass any eventual DACs unless there is another ADC behind it, this is mostly NOT the case though yo, especialy with your gear you should be good
    *What is the Balanced Home Amplifier supposed to do in your chain?
    Is it your Headphone amp and the Redwine your speakeramp?
    *If you above assumption is correct you could hook up the Headroom Balanced Home via XLR cables from the DA220 into it's analog input and the Redwine 30.2 via RCAs in the same time

EDIT:
Do you own that gear yet?
Doesn't the Redwine signature have a volume control? and have you tried using the K1000 the the Signature 30.2

Your new scheme sounds ok though...
[size=xx-small]Are you sure the Headroom amp has preamp outs and not just a loop out?[/size] It does ..

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 35
Fortunately, the HeadRoom amp can be used as preamp
smily_headphones1.gif
So, in my Akg K1000 chain I would only use it as preamp. So the HeadRoom becomes preamp of the RWA (main) Akg k1000 earspeaker amp. Yes, I would connect the Stello with the HeadRoom via XLR cables.

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 35
Too bad I can't compare them yet cause the Stello has not yet arrived. I am sure that the Stello will outperform the Duet.

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 35
Recommend trying different USB cables - kimber is quite good, will try out monster ultra fast as soon as i find one. Sounds odd but it does make a different.......

It will indeed be a very interesting result to see whether using USB direct into stello 220 mk2 is better or worst than via Duet.

It will probably take you a few weeks (3?) before your stello run in - initially it will sound accurate but not musical but after couple of weeks things changes. So don't worry if it doesn't sounds right for the first 2 wks.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 35
Try paintint or sleeving your USB cable or put it in a garden hose or use unshielded cable with ERS paper tubes around it
eek.gif

honestly a difference in USB cable beyond work/NOTwork is purely placebo,so dont spend your money on this but you can always try funny stuff to trick your brain like using a different colour

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 35
I did say it is odd......I too was a sceptic initially re: USB cable until I took a gamble with the kimber. On my stello 220 mk2 it makes a noticeable difference comparing to the one supply with the stello. The reason probably has something to do with the fact that this cable is heavily silver plated and has max gauge allowed by USB1.1 in addition to better isolation. As it isn't very expensive to boast, so I have no problem with it.

Jul 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #12 of 35
So, the HeadRoom Balanced Home headphone amp acts as a hybrid amp:
1) When I want to listen to my balanced Grado cans, I simply switch the HeadRoom preamp switch off and plug in the Grado's;
2) When I want to listen to my Akg K1000's, I turn on the HeadRoom's preamp switch on (plugging out the Grado's), turn on the Red Wine Audio amp. I am very happy I bought the HeadRoom
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure i get your question right but i'll try
  1. *using a digital connection you DO bypass any eventual DACs unless there is another ADC behind it, this is mostly NOT the case though yo, especialy with your gear you should be good
    *What is the Balanced Home Amplifier supposed to do in your chain?
    Is it your Headphone amp and the Redwine your speakeramp?
    *If you above assumption is correct you could hook up the Headroom Balanced Home via XLR cables from the DA220 into it's analog input and the Redwine 30.2 via RCAs in the same time

EDIT:
Do you own that gear yet?
Doesn't the Redwine signature have a volume control? and have you tried using the K1000 the the Signature 30.2

Your new scheme sounds ok though...
[size=xx-small]Are you sure the Headroom amp has preamp outs and not just a loop out?[/size] It does ..

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #13 of 35
My comment was atleast of a semi-serious nature and placebo effect IS a "noticeable difference"!
There is simply NO way the cable could make a technical difference but your brain doesn't care much and will include non auditory information in its processing. I thought the Monster USB cable might sport a similar price as the proprietary DENON Link cable discussed a few days ago hence my advice to stay clear of it and try other things to trick your brain as there are better ways than persuading yourself there's a difference because of the price paid.
The arguments about digital cables making a difference jitter-wise don't apply here unless i overlooked something.

So the colour of your USB cable would make a bigger perceived difference than contact material imo
(I will make tests once i get my hands on several colours of sleeving or maybe you're faster than i am XD)

Didn't want to threadjack but it think the problem was resolved anyways! =)

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd use a good coax cable to connect the Stello to the Duet.
After that, you place your preamp. Here indeed a good XLR cable should be used.
And behind that the power amp. Since the amp isn't balanced, use a very good IC.

P.S. does this mean your Stello has arrived?

Would the "Cardas Quadlink 5-c RCA IC" be adequate as a good IC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back