SQ showdown: Sansa Clip vs. Sony S638F
Jan 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 36
No question that the Clip is slightly warmer when both are played NO EQ.

I posted last month about a song on the album Buena Vista Social Club where the snare sound of a delicate brush on snare drum was clear and distinctive on the S639, and recessed and muddled on the Clip.

For my Sennheiser phones that I mostly use (PX 100 out of the home, HD 580 with Headphile V2 cable at home), the Sony makes for a better match. If someone is using Grado, the Clip would be better by far.

The Clip would also be a better match to many cds that are recorded too hot in the 2k-4k range, which was prevalent in the 85-95 time period.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitsugaya_Squad1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll give it to the Sansa Clip for the music it gives out despite its size. It also depends on the earphones you use to match with your source, and I say my UM1 matches pretty well with the Clip.

doesn't that go for any player? i have not heard the clip, but the fuze. decent but i think the format support is better for the sony. they both have throwaways like wma but sony does pcm lossless as well which whilst not compressed like flac (taking up more room) it does support lossless.

aac and mp3 combo is lethal.

they both have only the slightest of hiss though the sony a bit more. both have pretty shoddy construction but that just goes for the price you pay.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they both have only the slightest of hiss though the sony a bit more. both have pretty shoddy construction but that just goes for the price you pay.

I have no hiss with my Sony, and construction is top notch.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #20 of 36
Oh yeah, by the way, I got the S639F and I'm considering getting the Clip later on down the road as a beater.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I seconded: no hiss sound with my Sony S739, even i tune to max volume and set EQ +3

Tested(paused a song and listen) with bundled noice cancelling earphone, Sony MDR-EX90 and Sennheiser IE8.

Jan 2, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesn't that go for any player? i have not heard the clip, but the fuze. decent but i think the format support is better for the sony. they both have throwaways like wma but sony does pcm lossless as well which whilst not compressed like flac (taking up more room) it does support lossless.

aac and mp3 combo is lethal.

I believe you meant to say that the fuze/clip has better format support.

both clip and sony do pcm lossless (WAV). The fuze does in addition ogg, flac, secure WMA and audible.

In summary, the audio support for both players:

Sony S63X series
MP3
WMA
AAC-LC*2
WAV

Fuze/Clip
MP3
WMA
Secure WMA
WAV
OGG
FLAC
Audible

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #24 of 36
Yup AAC is what he likes. IT DOES NOT MEAN BETTER FORMAT SUPPORT. I only use OGG, FLAC and WAV.Most folks use MP3 and FLAC anyway.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ya the new sonys are built like a rock. Both great daps like them both for different reasons, if you like flac and ogg support and a more simple gui go with clip. If you like to mess with eq/se and like a fancier gui and better screen go with sony. I do listen to my fuze/clip and touch 2g more than my sony 738 though.

Jan 3, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #26 of 36
is there any one been seriusly audition over Sony S639 VS S739 and confirm it the same in terms of SQ and EQ??

S739 audio support :
-ATRAC/ ATRAC
-MP3
-WMA
-AAC

i do miss FLAC format so much!

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #27 of 36
well Sony (S739) just got few more points vs Fuze (Clip) and they are now at the same level
smily_headphones1.gif
. Why?

Sony supports WAV tags (from dbpoweramp LIST&ID3) and plays WAV files perfectly. Unlike Sony, Fuze (Clip) treats WAV tags as noise and doesn't recognize them... also it has hick-ups when playing WAV files.

Also Sony WAVs are gapless if I am correct (probably Fuzes (Clips) are also).

And yes I want to listen to WAV on portable
smily_headphones1.gif

-velimir

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shigzeo specifically said he likes AAC, so he most likely meant S639. BTW the S639 construction is anything but shoddy. Sony almost always has excellent build quality in their players.

my 828 is well build but not top notch. when considering all the players i have owned, it is definately in the top but it does not compare well to a current ipod. however the s600 series even the old ones are not that well made. they have a plastic ring around them and if you press them together the creak. perhaps i have been spoiled by my touch 1g or 2g and nano 3g but no other company seems to bring up to the table such construction. had i only had sony, cowon, meizu and iriver, i would put sony probably at the top though some iriver have had good construction.

too much plastic these days: everything smells and looks like a throwaway.

yes, aac is nearly silly to no longer have in a player. wma is the opposite and ogg and flac whilst good are silly to support without support for industry formats such as aac. the companies are not doing it to be good, they do it because it is free.

the sony does hiss: but nowhere near the old iterations like 700 and 800. my phones are not even that sensitive (audiotechnica ck10) but i can hear it. the old sony players i could hear hiss above a buss or airplane engine.

they sound incredible but they do hiss. their build is better than the old s600 (which i also have - ive been a closet sony fan since 1999 and owned many many of their players - they always seemed in md days behind sharp for construction but ahead of panasonic and kenwood).

djgeorge: i did mean the sony had better codec support. the clip has more but more often is not better.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #30 of 36
With no EQ or any other sound enhancements, the Clip actually sounded better to me. It's hard to believe considering the Clip is just a little plastic thing that could be confused by most for a lame Coby mp3 player you can get at a drug store for 10 bucks, but whatever Sandisk did with the sound chip, good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back