Spring Toronto Meet 2014
Mar 31, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 53

Zoom25's setup with the Dangerous Music Source!
Somehow I missed transferring this picture to my meet impressions folder after processing it.  Sorry Zoom25!
This was another setup that worked great with the CD3000s.
Zoom25 was awesome about setting me up with tunes, and yeah, those AH-D2000s really worked well for movies.
Thanks again Rachit!

The best part about my setup was all the food I could easily grab behind the counter 
biggrin.gif

I really wanted to A/B my D2000s for music and movies with a Fostex, unfortunately there wasn't one.

Jeff, I really wanted you to hear the HD800s off the Source. Out of all the pairings we tried, this one was the best by a long shot. Unfortunately, I totally lost track of time and everyone had already packed up their gear. I was surprised they were being driven so well with lots of bass and not even a hint of fatigue that I always hear about the HD800. It was far less fatiguing system than a LCD-3 w/ (BHA-1 + BDA-2).

The T1s that we tried didn't seem to play that well off the Source, so wasn't expecting much when I tried the HD800.

LOL The reason I initially put them on was to see for myself the comfort that everyone kept talking about HD800s. These were the lightest and comfiest things ever (even over the D2000s for me). So I thought to myself, might as well plug them in just for the heck of it, knowing that it would probably be disastrous considering the Source was a solid state designed for studio use and probably make it sound bright. I have never been more shocked before. It was a more fun sounding setup than my previous HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3 for every genre I tried, including the electronic stuff I had going on. I've tried setups with various Audeze and Hifiman going up to $8k and this simplistic Source + HD800 absolutely crushed all of them.

Definitely a thing to check out at the next!

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #17 of 53
I think the next meet, we can have a sub-titile called HD800 owner's club.

Pretty much everyone will have one for reference testing :p

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #19 of 53
Thanks Chris, but the pictures would have been better if they hadn't been shot on a Canon right? :wink:  

Jeff,
In the hands of a great artist, even a Canon can create great art! :p
Chris

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #20 of 53
Great photos, Jeff. And big thanks to Julian for the excellent job hosting.

It was quite marvelous being able to demo so many different setups, and although the environment was kind of noisy, it didn't detract at all from enjoying what was shared. I didn't get around to trying so many of the really high end setups, my priority was first for gear I could possibly afford and not get so lured in to items totally outside my price range :wink:

Why there were so many HD800s became more than obvious after spending any amount of time with them. They are some stunning cans. But, what really did it for me was Chris J's setup. The Stax, while somewhat uncomfortable, were incredible fun to listen to, and the Q701s were so much of how I like music to sound. I will definitely be picking up a pair of those for myself in the near future. Never got around to trying the K812's but there are always future meets for that.

My wife has commented many times that the Stax look like I have radiators over my ears!
Mean, isn't she? :wink_face:

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 53
My wife has commented many times that the Stax look like I have radiators over my ears!

Mean, isn't she?
wink_face.gif

I think she is totally correct~~~
You might as well use it as an excuse to get the new 009 so it will fit her "look"

Apr 1, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #24 of 53
Great to see that the LD VIIISE is getting some love.  I have upgraded mine with EH Gold Pin power tubes and Psvane driver tubes, it sounds awesome with by HD650s and HD800s.  I really underrated fully balanced tube amp in my view.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #25 of 53

Mean, isn't she?
wink_face.gif

I think she is totally correct~~~
You might as well use it as an excuse to get the new 009 so it will fit her "look"

Good idea,
"Honey, I bought these really expensive Stax 'phones because you always tell me the SR-207s look like radiators".

I'll let you know how that works out! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #26 of 53
I'm sure it will work out just fine Chris - do it!! :evil:

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #27 of 53
maybe we will have a STAX meet soon~~~~~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back