Spring Toronto Meet 2014
Apr 2, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #31 of 53
First of all thanks Julian for hosting!

I had a really great time.  Tonne's of good gear and lots of great discussions.  My favourite part of the meets has been shooting the breeze with fellow hobbyists.

I loved Jonah and Colin's table.  Jonah's Pan Am-HD600 combo and Colin's Starving Student sounded great!  Still I think my favorite was Arian's Vinyl-Magni-AKG set up.  As a closet vinyl lover it was great to hear how good a little vinyl set up could be.

Pity that my amp was acting a bit funny but it will be ready for the next one.  Anyway I am happy that I got to share it with you guys.

Also...next time someone remind me to eat something before I take shots with Pavel.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #32 of 53
Wow! This looked like it would have been a lot of fun. So much gear I have only read about in forums and never seen in a store. I need to check out if there are any meets happening in my area of Ontario, Ottawa.

I see there was a Stax 2170 system there. Been thinking of purchasing one from my local Planet of Sound. Im right on the edge of the fence actually. The slightest breeze would push me over the edge starting my Stax introduction .How did you all think of it compared to your setups? Any short comings or things it did very well? Keeping in mind that it is an intro system...

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #33 of 53
My friend have heard it and says it is about the same level of my ESP950. So I think it will not have crazy sound stage and details in it.
Which means it might not be better than a porperly driven HD800.

You might want to AB it with the Koss ESP950 system to pick the on you like. I am pretty sure a lot of people on the meet has a pair.

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #34 of 53
My friend have heard it and says it is about the same level of my ESP950. So I think it will not have crazy sound stage and details in it.
Which means it might not be better than a porperly driven HD800.

You might want to AB it with the Koss ESP950 system to pick the on you like. I am pretty sure a lot of people on the meet has a pair.

To be fair, a properly driven HD800 costs twice as much or more by the time you buy the amp "to properly drive it".
Personally, for the money, I think the 2170s do have crazy details and soundstage.
Hey man, just my opinion!

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #35 of 53

I have tinkered with the upstream + tubes to get the sound I like. I listen mostly to vocals so have got more mid bass emphasis. In it's stock form the Balancing Act is very balanced, especially my version, the 307A. For my tastes, the sound in stock form is too thin.

Come to think of it, I actually explained to you at the meet that I tinkered with the sound LOL. Surely I shouldn't have to keep the sound neutral just because of the name of the amp? 
normal_smile%20.gif

LOL. No, I suppose not. Yeah BA is an amazing amp. I'm sure I'll be down that rabbit hole someday with something similar.  But it didn't take me long to recognize your preference isn't the same as mine. The preference to vocals and the emphasis on that range.

My own preference is to drool/zone out to electronic ambient and experimental works by mostly little unknown artists. So I need full range, detail, ... the works. 

Here's some free stuff guys: http://www.musictrade.info
I like the 'Ice Mustard' collection. 24/88 is nice to have too.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #36 of 53
To be fair, a properly driven HD800 costs twice as much or more by the time you buy the amp "to properly drive it".
Personally, for the money, I think the 2170s do have crazy details and soundstage.

The crack is a good starting place HD800 and its only $279. Plus you can easily tweak it and a novice will gain understanding of basic circuit implementation. Gigantic community of owners over on the BH forums as well as head-fi.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #37 of 53

Well, few years ago, I think a pair of skull candy is very very good in sound.
Then, my one of my friend lead me to an HD650, and another friend borrow me an W5000.
By just entering Headfi for about 3 years, I end up with HD800, T1, Koss and HE-6.

I guess in headfi, you will always be happy at one point, until you hear that "crap" ......................

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #38 of 53
The crack is a good starting place HD800 and its only $279. Plus you can easily tweak it and a novice will gain understanding of basic circuit implementation. Gigantic community of owners over on the BH forums as well as head-fi.

Yes, and then we roll in a better input tube, then a better output tube, then a better rectifier tube.
Then we go thru the whole cycle again when we upgrade the upgraded tubes!
Then we upgrade the coupling caps. :xf_eek:

Much as I love tube amps, I gotta admit they are high maintenance! :xf_eek:

There should he a self help group, tubaholics anonymous.

"Hi my name is Chris and I'm a recovering Tube-aholic".

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #39 of 53
Yes, I actually have a pairing right now I really quite like. It isn't stopping me from exploring the cheepies on the ebay however. You know - just in case something unexpectedly better shows up in bubble wrap. That's how this last input tube happened.  I was able to get help and found out my 'mystery' input tube is an older GE. That was a surprise to me because I'd dismissed the label very early on when I got my Lyr with HD800 a little over a year ago now.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #40 of 53
  Yes, I actually have a pairing right now I really quite like. It isn't stopping me from exploring the cheepies on the ebay however. You know - just in case something unexpectedly better shows up in bubble wrap. That's how this last input tube happened.  I was able to get help and found out my 'mystery' input tube is an older GE. That was a surprise to me because I'd dismissed the label very early on when I got my Lyr with HD800 a little over a year ago now.

A-ha!
You admit it!
You can't stop buying tubes!  
eek.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #42 of 53
  maybe we will have a STAX meet soon~~~~~

Let's do it!  Unfortunately due to family circumstances I missed this meet.- great pics and lots of high end gear, wish I could have been there.
Summer's just around the corner..... 
smile.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #43 of 53
Groan...

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #44 of 53
hopefully by the time, I will have a pair of oppo PM-1 and the GS-X MKII

that just pure hope.

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #45 of 53
awwwwwww crap! i can't believe i missed this year's meet. looks like it was pretty good turnout though! i was looking to try out an HD800 before buying too...! argh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back