Spring break relaxing escape options
Feb 15, 2008 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

The Actual

Headphoneus Supremus
Spring break is coming up in mid March and I, more than ever, want to make sure I get off campus and do something relaxing.

I was thinking/fantasizing earlier today about visiting a small town somewhere in the near-East Coast and just getting away from NYC for a little while. Is this possible? What have other people done during spring breaks and enjoyed? What have you found to be a nice change from intense schoolwork?

I would love to find some town and a cheap hotel/bed and breakfast type place where I could just sit around and read, go for walks, be alone.

Is this totally impossible? Any recommendations for where I might go? I have heard New Hampshire is nice, maybe further into the mid-West could be good as well. Do small towns even have hotels/places to stay? Is this idea too crazy?

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm not familiar with that area, but there should be lots of places to go. And yeah, little motels and hotels are everywhere.

I usually travel this way. I'll start out with a general plan of where I want to go, but I don't make reservations or firm plans. In a good 15 years of doing this, I have always been able to find hotel rooms, places to eat and plenty to see. If you're curious about the Midwest, then just go. Don't plan and hit the road.

When I get to a city/town, I usually Google its name with "historic." That pulls up museums and stuff, but also the cool old hotels and long-time restaurants. I love that sort of thing and have stayed at some very interesting places. Marriott they are not. To find places to eat, I hit up the cops. Find one or drop by the station and ask where a good place to eat is. They know and they give the best directions, too.

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 11
I am going to spend my spring break doing abs nothing, besides going to work......

just realized how depressing that must have sounded.

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 11
I would recommend the outer banks in north carolina. It is a seaside town, but because it is the offseason rooms usually run $80-100/night for ocean front or you could get a house for cheap. There is a movie theater for the nighttime and a lot of restaurants are open still. In the area, there are wild horses, beautiful dunes, and sparsely populated beaches.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 11
Hey man. I think you would love Vermont. I go there in the winter for snowboarding and it seems like a very quite place. There are many resorts on the mountains even as close as 4 hour drive from NYC. You can rent a condo, house, hotel room etc. I think it would be a great place to just get away.

Feb 15, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To find places to eat, I hit up the cops. Find one or drop by the station and ask where a good place to eat is. They know and they give the best directions, too.

QFT!

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 11
Washington island (Wisconsin).

It is the most relaxing place I have ever been. It is so small (only one cop there) but so much to do just by walking or ridding a bike. Very quiet and very relaxing.

More of a small town and nature retreat.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the advice everyone!
I realized as I started doing more research based on some of the recommendations here that I really can't afford too much traveling and accommodation. Found a friend of a the family with an un used vacation house I might use in Massachusetts, I hope it works out.

Thanks again for the advice, I know it gets said a bit around here, but I really do appreciate I can post questions about anything on here and get knowledgeable replies.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 11
I am from upstate NY originally, and my family used to go up into Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts to get away from it all. Its very pretty, and hopefully won't be dreadfully cold by them time spring break comes around.

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 11
I say find a nice public beach with camping in Florida of the Gulf Coast and pitch a tent. Minus gas or airfare cheap as can be.

I don't think I would pass up the free house in Mass though considering gas prices. Besides who cares if its cold still, more reason to stay inside with your headphones
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not familiar with that area, but there should be lots of places to go. And yeah, little motels and hotels are everywhere.

I usually travel this way. I'll start out with a general plan of where I want to go, but I don't make reservations or firm plans. In a good 15 years of doing this, I have always been able to find hotel rooms, places to eat and plenty to see. If you're curious about the Midwest, then just go. Don't plan and hit the road.

When I get to a city/town, I usually Google its name with "historic." That pulls up museums and stuff, but also the cool old hotels and long-time restaurants. I love that sort of thing and have stayed at some very interesting places. Marriott they are not. To find places to eat, I hit up the cops. Find one or drop by the station and ask where a good place to eat is. They know and they give the best directions, too.

Great advice. This has always been my approach as well, but I've been at it for closer to 30 years! Well, maybe only 20 years since I could afford hotel rooms. Before that, it was mostly crashing on couches of friends and I still do that from time to time. Travel doesn't have to be too terribly expensive or well planned. The main thing is to be safe and to gravitate towards what interests you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back