Spray painting help
Aug 25, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #31 of 53

Quote:
Hey guys, i just ordered my senn hd 25-1 II adidas version.
I was also planning on spray-painting them, but i got a few questions beforehang:

1. Do i loose warranty if i spray them?
2. what colour should i choose?
3. what are finishers and primers? (german, so i don't get it from their names :p)

I wanted to go for a matt white look, not shiny and was planning to use this colour:
http://www.humbrol.com/paints/all-paints/ad6034-34-white-150ml-matt-modellers-spray/?searchguid=20118213448&resultspage=

The end product should look something like this:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/8d/8d8fa1cf_P1030871.jpg

1) Yes you will invalidate the warranty
2) Humbrol is good as it is designed to work on plastics but I would deffinately clear coat it afterwards as the acrylic paint is quite weak ad gets easily scratched. You could also use car paint which is designed to retouch plastic bumpers  and again clearcoat. If you cant find matte clear you could always use a gloss clear coat or lacquer and then once it has dried for 48 hrs use a very fine sand paper like 1200 or 2000 to take the shine off which will again look matte.
3) Use a primer designed for plastics then sand to give an even finish and make sure your clear coat or lacquer matches the paint - ( when I first tried I had the odd issue where the clear reacted badly with the paint I was using ) I think humbrol do a matching clear and if you go down the car paint rout make sure you buy the same brand clear and colour.

I use an airbrush to do mine and use AutoAir paint and 2k two part urethane clear coat which I find gives the best finish and durability but is quite expensive.

I look forward to you posting some pictures of the results - Here are some of my favorite ones that I got to do...

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #32 of 53
that Hulk phone is LEGEND -w8 4 it- DARY!

the grey cable on the hello kitty one looks lame though...

I think I won't be able to spray the HD so fast, cause i don't wanna loose my warranty right after purchasing...

I think i will get a replacement headband and spray them :p

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #33 of 53

Quote:
@jfunk

Looking good man - I mean, you've clearly had some practice considering your website, but still looking real clean 
L3000.gif

Once I get my AKG's Re-cabled I am working on CNCing new caps/grills for the ear covers and then painting/screening them.  I'll get some pics up of that in the next month when it all comes in.  

Yes totally . I have not been lucky enough to get my hands on any AKGs yet and would love to see the results 
darthsmile.gif

Quote:
that Hulk phone is LEGEND -w8 4 it- DARY!

the grey cable on the hello kitty one looks lame though...

I think I won't be able to spray the HD so fast, cause i don't wanna loose my warranty right after purchasing...

I think i will get a replacement headband and spray them :p

Cheers Chap :wink: I know what you mean though.... I probably invalidate the warranty on several thousand pounds worth of headphones a month and it still feels wrong to pull apart a nice shiny new pair of headphones.  The irony is... As the business is still quite new I cant afford a custom pair for my self yet :..(

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #35 of 53
Probably too late, but you should've tried dying them with Rit-Dye or similar fabric dyes. Plethora of different colours and alot more durable than paint because the dye seeps into the plastic effectively changing it into another colour. Vinyl paint is another option, but most of the time you can only get black.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I will never buy a pair of painted cans. Paint doesn't belong on plastic, you're asking for chips.

Brendan

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #37 of 53
I want to paint a pair KSC75s white, would never risk it with anything more expensive
biggrin.gif
Let me see, i have a spray gun already as i will be attempting to paint my DIY HT screen with a custom grey. I took a stab at painting a PC case in blue, came out nicely even though i didn't use the acid etch primer they told me to, but it does have some scratches now that seem to have gone down to the bare metal
mad.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #38 of 53
There's a problem with this.  Many headphones come in black.

Quote:
Probably too late, but you should've tried dying them with Rit-Dye or similar fabric dyes. Plethora of different colours and alot more durable than paint because the dye seeps into the plastic effectively changing it into another colour. Vinyl paint is another option, but most of the time you can only get black.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I will never buy a pair of painted cans. Paint doesn't belong on plastic, you're asking for chips.

Brendan

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #39 of 53
He wanted them black like HD25's, I was just suggesting that. Obviously if they come in black, then there's nothing you can do, but his Ultrasones are white.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #40 of 53
Vinyl dye comes in a few different colors, says the internet.  My neighborhood Kragen has at least four, including black and white.  I bought white.  I'm waiting to need black.

I didn't know Rit dye was good for plastic.  I'll have to try it out.  It's permanent i.e. changes the color of the plastic?

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #41 of 53
The thing with Rit Dye is that you can't go from a darker colour back to a lighter colour, whereas with vinyl paint (dye) it's possible. It is permanent, changes the plastic's colour. You can make a cut in it and see that the dye actually seeped into the plastic molecules, akin to the smoke ring on a piece of smoked meat.

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #45 of 53
There's a rough pricing guide on his site (sorta hidden in the "order" menu).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back