Spray painting help
Aug 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #16 of 53
@jfunk

Looking good man - I mean, you've clearly had some practice considering your website, but still looking real clean 
L3000.gif

Once I get my AKG's Re-cabled I am working on CNCing new caps/grills for the ear covers and then painting/screening them.  I'll get some pics up of that in the next month when it all comes in.  

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #19 of 53

Quote:
But am looking to get some HD25 earcups CNCed out of metal or wood once I've saved my pennies up

Nice. I'd really like to see the results of that. In the meantime, it might be worth just trying out a transplant into simple wooden hemispherical cups.

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 53
I Would:

1) Sand VERY fine sand paper (1200 grit is what I used), wash with soap.
2) Primer then dry for 5 minutes
3) Very light coat dry for 15 minutes
4) Second coat dry for 24Hours
5) Resand lightly and wash
6)Final coat
7)Dry 24-48 hours
8) 2 coats of clear lacquer with 15 mintes dry time in between. (Hard to get it even so spray at a good distance)
9) 48 hours dry time (IMPORTANT)

You can check out my paint job thread. LINK

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 53
Aug 23, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #22 of 53
Hey guys, i just ordered my senn hd 25-1 II adidas version.
I was also planning on spray-painting them, but i goz a few questions beforehanf:

1. Do i loose warranty if i spray them?
2. what colour should i choose?
3. what are finishers and primers? (german, so i dobt get it from their names :p)

I wanted to go for a matt white look, not shiny!

The end product should look something like this:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/8d/8d8fa1cf_P1030871.jpg

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #23 of 53
I was also planning on spray-painting them, but i got a few questions beforehang:

3. what are finishers and primers? (german, so i don't get it from their names :p)

I wanted to go for a matt white look, not shiny and was planning to use this colour:
http://www.humbrol.com/paints/all-paints/ad6034-34-white-150ml-matt-modellers-spray/?searchguid=20118213448&resultspage=

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #25 of 53
Quote:
I was also planning on spray-painting them, but i got a few questions beforehang:

3. what are finishers and primers? (german, so i don't get it from their names :p)

I wanted to go for a matt white look, not shiny and was planning to use this colour:
http://www.humbrol.com/paints/all-paints/ad6034-34-white-150ml-matt-modellers-spray/?searchguid=20118213448&resultspage=

:O
Why would you spend an extra $50 on the Adidas version if you're just going to spray over the paintjob that causes the premium? Surely if you're going to paint them, the 'vanilla' HD 25-1 ii would be more sensible?
Really looking forward to some of the results from this thread, though...

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #26 of 53

Quote:
:O
Why would you spend an extra $50 on the Adidas version if you're just going to spray over the paintjob that causes the premium? Surely if you're going to paint them, the 'vanilla' HD 25-1 ii would be more sensible?
Really looking forward to some of the results from this thread, though...

I'm guessing that Danchou wanted the blue ear pads but didn't want buy them separately.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #27 of 53
Hmm. Given that you can buy coloured velours here for EU25 and shipping to the US is EU35 on top of that (ouch) I guess that makes sense. Still, I fully intend to invest in a pair of purple velours and pads one day.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #28 of 53
Did you notice the Adidas HD 25 have a blue cable and a LEATHER blue pad? i dont want these crappy velour pads that suck at isolation and bass...
Also i will maybe just paint the headband... would be nice if someone could answer the questions :)

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #29 of 53
Quote:
Did you notice the Adidas HD 25 have a blue cable and a LEATHER blue pad? i dont want these crappy velour pads that suck at isolation and bass...
Also i will maybe just paint the headband... would be nice if someone could answer the questions :)

It's not leather, it's pleather. All HD 25-1 iis have a pair of pleather and a pair of velour pads included, but most people use the velours because they provide better bass (
eek.gif
) and are much more comfortable. I tried the pleather pads on my pair for all of ten minutes before switching the pads straight over and never looking back. The cable is pretty sweet, though.

As for your questions:

• Yes, almost certainly.
  • It's your choice. If you're using blue earpads you'll want the colour to complement that - perhaps a dark blue or navy?
  • Primers are the kind of paint you put down first to give a good surface to paint on to, kind of like a treatment to make a whole surface even for painting. Finishes are the opposite; a coat you put on top of your main paint to protect it and also give a matte or gloss effect to the whole thing.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #30 of 53
thank you for the replie :)

"2. which colour should i use" - i did not mean the colour, i meant which kind of colour, which brand, product etc... The colour i want is white :p

It can be, that the velour pads provide better bass, but the ones he recommended i have read reviews that say they suck at quality and delivering bass... the original sennheiser velour pads maybe are better fitting or something like that :wink:

Could someone show a picture of the Sennheiser adidas with the white velour pads, if available? ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back