Spotted on Audiogon
Dec 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Sanderman

100+ Head-Fier
I just saw this Moth Si2A3 on Audiogon: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1325949556 I own one of these, but modded mine to an external power supply and separate heater supplies. You can find my posts on that process in my post history if you dig at it. Somebody should snap this up (I have no affiliation to this sale). It's just that after buying a Zana Deux, Balancing Act and an original TTVJ 307A the best amp in the house to my ears is still the Moth.

Joe

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 22
Agreed!

Though this is the earlier S2A3 without the multiple inputs.  Still, a fine amp.

The Si2A3 (stock) is one of my favorites.  I love it to pieces.  Wonderful with the HD-800 and superb with a K-1000 connected to the speaker outputs.

At $1,800, you cannot get a better amp for the price.  I'm halfway tempted to buy it, but I don't need another.

If someone is in the market for an excellent amp, you can't go wrong with this one.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 22
I would not mind picking it up if it can drive the HE-6. Anybody knows if it can do that. Would be a nice change in flavor.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 22
Dec 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 22
Here was my question-answer session with the seller:

Q: Hi there,
I know you said "don't ask" about the money order terms but I am reticent to buy anything with that method of payment due to lack of protection to the buyer.  You would not accept paypal?

A: Hi,

No.

I think I will pass this one up.  My philosophy has always been that if the seller steadfastly refuses to budge an iota in his terms to help out/satisfy the buyer (within reason) then is not a sale I want to be involved in.  

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 22
Not that it matters but I don't believe Paypal gives you much of protection as many seem to think.  I've bought many items via MO over the years; some have been scams not going to lie, but most are ok.

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 22
I pay via credit card through paypal.  I contact visa when scammed and have much more protection than paypal themselves would give me.  The reason I specifically mentioned paypal is that is the simplest ways that most non-business entities are able to take payment by credit card remotely (as opposed to square.)  Like I said, its just not a sale I want to be involved with.  Not saying that its definitely fraudulent, but when I see a personal (non-business) seller that I have no prior experience (redundancy?) with offering something giving me no way to negotiate a sale that protects the buyer, I stay away.

If your personal rules for transactions differ by all means go for it - let me know how you like it. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 22
I looked at the seller's audiogon feedback and this is what I saw:

- his earliest feedback is from 2005, a period when paypal was not the default payment scheme it is today. In '05 many still relied on the M.O. (successfully I would add).

- his feedback stops at '05, and resumes in 2010-11, where he has accrued what I would consider a great record. 

- looking at the authors of his feedback, many have a *high* feedback count themselves. Although possible, I did not check the feedback of each of his buyers. 

- looking at his buyers and the class of equipment for sale (Moth), I'd be willing to guess many of the items he sold were not exactly trivial low-fi, which gives added implied weight to his feedback record.

- Based on the above, for my own use I would feel secure in considering M.O. payment for this sale as low risk, just as I would consider paypal as low risk in this context.

- ymmv

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Not that it matters but I don't believe Paypal gives you much of protection as many seem to think.  I've bought many items via MO over the years; some have been scams not going to lie, but most are ok.

Ricky there was an instance where i know of someone refunded thousands  through paypal. But for even safer precautions use your credit card through paypal and you will always get a refund. But I have asked and paid for stuff with money orders. I sold expensive gear by accepting money and also bought the same. usually ask for all feedback and always speak to the person on the phone before you make the purchase. I also got a refund f0r the shotty SX650 Pioneer through paypal. That Moth seller looks good to buy from.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 22
I bought a product from a company which was not honoring its return policy, and Paypal stepped in and refunded my money.  Paypal is bad for sellers (see horror stories of small software companies getting its Paypal assets frozen), but it's pretty good for buyers.

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 22
You bought it?

:)

Enjoy the hell out of it!  I love seeing a great piece of gear like this going to a good Head-Fi'er.

I don't know if you have a pair of efficient speakers, but it'll do wonderful things with them.  So, maybe a pair of Klipschhorns or Lowthers?  (If your bank account wants to take a swing at me, I'll understand.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back