Spotify vs MOG
Aug 18, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #16 of 68
I'm contemplating going back to Spotify now. It seems like Spotify has been doing a really good job of getting their library converted to ogg -q9. MOG has more significant gaps between tracks. Also, MOG only puts out new albums on Tuesdays. On the other hand, Spotify's library STILL isn't as complete as MOG's is for me.

What people are saying about MOG's mobile app is worrisome. I've tried it on my friends' iPhones, and it seemed pretty solid, but I've never tried it on Android before.

For those of you concerned about the interface problems, MOG is going to beta test a desktop application soon. I'm hoping that will fix a good number of issues.

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #17 of 68
does MOG  give you access to local drive ( personal music files) like spotify at the same time?
itune not responding for few days now, so spotify came handy

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 68

Quote:
does MOG  give you access to local drive ( personal music files) like spotify at the same time?
itune not responding for few days now, so spotify came handy

Nope, it does not. There's no desktop client for MOG to implement that feature - yet.

http://feedback.mog.com/forums/50607-feature-suggestions/suggestions/691320-mog-desktop-client-for-pcs-and-macs?ref=comments#comments

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 68

Quote:
Nope, it does not. There's no desktop client for MOG to implement that feature - yet.

http://feedback.mog.com/forums/50607-feature-suggestions/suggestions/691320-mog-desktop-client-for-pcs-and-macs?ref=comments#comments

thanks

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #20 of 68
MOG is partnering with the Jonas Brothers and Beats headphones to educate the public about sound. They recommend acid baths to clean out people's ears. They hate you.

Spotify.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 68
I've used Mog extensively on my Android based HTC Incredible AND my HTC Thunderbolt without issue.  Sure, there is a pause between tracks, but once the track starts, it is good to go.  I have not had any skipping or stopping.  Plus, Mog has had all of the music I've searched for, and though not as good as Pandora's, it has a music discovery feature that I like quite a bit.

I have not tried Spotify however.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #22 of 68
Total newbie but after my trusty stereo system died a long and agonizing death, I researched and finally bought a Sonos Connect:Amp and some new speakers, and have been trying to decide which music subscription service to buy - MOG or Spotify (others ruled out).  I detest (strong word but I do) MOG's UI - it's the so-called "new one", with artifacts of the "old one" hanging around just to confuse people.  Even their support team keeps talking about old and new, like I should know what they're talking about.  What I do know is that it's clunky and you can't even bookmark/favorite a public playlist.  And now they're saying their desktop client won't be available until "sometime in 2012".  

I downloaded Spotify last night and what a difference in terms of ease of use.  I'll ride out the MOG 30 day Primo trial and tag onto Spotify's 14 day Premium trial and try to do a fair comparison.  But even all the talk about MOG's deeper catalog isn't impressing me much.  I did a random lookup of 25 classical albums and found only 5 of them on MOG.  Not much better on Spotify, but with the far superior user experience, I'm leaning toward Spotify, this after I was convinced MOG would be my choice prior to the trials.  

By the way, the Sonos Connect:Amp and Klipsch RB-51 ii speakers are a nice combo for a relatively small space.  Sonos's Play3 and Play5 are hugely glorified and very expensive boom boxes, but the Connect and Connect:Amp are nice products.  The ease of use ranks right up there with Spotify's UI.  Both the Sonos Desktop and Android controllers work great.  Off topic, but just sayin'.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #23 of 68
I switched recently from Rhapsody to MOG.  The improvement in sound quality is tremendous.  The UI needs work, for sure (I can't organize my favorites? I can't shuffle my queue? What).  The vast catalog is better than Rhapsody or Spotify (I've been test-driving the free version).  For now, MOG is worth my $10/month.  

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #25 of 68
I Actually feel rhapsody has the best sound of all, just very slightly clipping MOG (very) Spotify is the one thats compression has a chorusy sometimes "untru" sound

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #27 of 68
I had rhrapsody back in 2005-6 Sound quality was fair at that time but not as good as Mog today.  I  have Mog now sound quality OK    I have only tried free Slacker and AOL radio which is powered by  Slacker so I was only getting the 128KB stream there . I think the AOL radio free has no time limit. 
A  good free service is Jango no time limit  good interface lets you skip unlimited forward on free version , free version is 128KBS but interface is real good not sure of the paid version Jango bit rate  they Jango has an immense catalogue even classcal  sound quality seems better than free AOL,free Slacker ,and free Pandora IMO.  
I record with Audacity from Jango and mog I've sone A/B of the same tracks Can't always  tell the difference..... .depending on the track but  sometimes Mog is better VMMV.

best regards 

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #28 of 68
Quote:
I had rhrapsody back in 2005-6 Sound quality was fair at that time but not as good as Mog today.  I  have Mog now sound quality OK    I have only tried free Slacker and AOL radio which is powered by  Slacker so I was only getting the 128KB stream there . I think the AOL radio free has no time limit. 
A  good free service is Jango no time limit  good interface lets you skip unlimited forward on free version , free version is 128KBS but interface is real good not sure of the paid version Jango bit rate  they Jango has an immense catalogue even classcal  sound quality seems better than free AOL,free Slacker ,and free Pandora IMO.  
I record with Audacity from Jango and mog I've sone A/B of the same tracks Can't always  tell the difference..... .depending on the track but  sometimes Mog is better VMMV.

best regards 

Thanks for all the info... At this time, I have Rhapsody and Mog. Sound quality wise, I have to give the nod to Rhapsody. Clean, not as bright (harsh)  But its personal preference. MoG really is my fav tho. Music Discovery is great

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #29 of 68
I had a hard time deciding between subscribing to Spotify or MOG--but MOG gets my money.  Overall, the sound quality on MOG is better--due to the 320 kbs encoding of the full catalog.  I think the catalogs are comparable--huge!  There are some rarities on both services that don't overlap, but really--the selection on both is unprecedented.  The MOG web app is useable, but not comparable to the wonderful Spotify client app.  MOG has a wonderful ipad app, and a serviceable iOS app.  They do seem to be improving their apps.  I love the simple to use offline mode that allows you to download as many 320 kbs songs as you like to mobile devices.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #30 of 68
Ok i don't know if there's a legal issue on that,
if yes delete my post or ban me, or send hydralisks to my house.

However,
to all EU users: You can sign up on mog using a proxy or a vpn (nothing new) but i reportedly know that when the registration process is complete you can enter to the website even without the proxy / vpn.
They DO have a proxy/VPN detector but only at the registration process and with some satellite servers and a bit of luck i have managed to sign up myself with facebook.

I love mog and the all round 320kbps music catalogue and i don't feel confortable with this silly limitations.
We have Deezer here and we don't even know the music bitrate ---> Too bad they don't deserve my money.

Take care

Users who are viewing this thread

Back