Spotify vs MOG
May 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #61 of 68
Not much to add here except to say that I'm in the middle of sorting this out tonight as well and would love to hear what others thought. I'm listening to Spotify tonight, but have also read some comparisons tonight that give the sound quality nod to Mog because it streams 320 at $4.95 while Spotify only does 320 at the "premium" $9.95 level. I've tried stumping both with weird artists and they both are surprisingly deep, although I did see a review that gave the depth-of-library nod to Mog mostly because Mog had the entire Pink Floyd and Bob Dylan catalogues and Spotify didn't. The reviewer claimed that Spotify had a hole in it's classic rock catalogue. 

I'm a little new to the quality pursuit - I just bought a Schiit Asgard, a DAC, and some Sennheiser HD598's so I'd like to know whether the difference between 160 and 320 kbps is as big as it would seem. 
music streaming services never have any of my favorite electronic artists. :\

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #64 of 68
In my opinion, Beats pretty much ruined Mog. The interface became all about playlists. You couldn't even browse a list of artists in a desired genre. So for the past months, it has been Spotify for me. However, Deezer is now streaming in higher fidelity, although their catalog is smaller at this point. Tidal is coming soon, from the folks behind Wimp in Europe, and they are promising higher quality as we'll.

I think this will force Spotify's hand to up their bitrate. I have a trial Deezer elite or premium sub and it does sound better. If Tidal sounds as good and has a larger catalog, I'll switch to that. Hopefully, I won't need more than one service.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #65 of 68
Yeah, Beats completely obliterated MOG. They dumped my account, lost it, couldn't find my info, the monkey business went on and on until I finally decided I just couldn't trust them with a credit card info, and being on Android, Apple is bound to play favorites for platforms. Plus the selection flat out sucked, finding classical music and jazz on Beats is like trying to find a literature professor at a book burning. 

I tried Google Music for two months, and was happy, but now I'm having trouble streaming reliably. Plus the UI customization options are non-existent. So I'm done with that one now too. 

Finally, I am now trying Spotify. Spotify's UI is best, their selection in mature genres seems to be equal or better to Google, and it seems more reliable so far. I am voting (with my wallet) for Spotify. I usually send a departing gift to the music service I am ditching... a screenshot of my new music service's welcome letter. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Too many options in this market to give these companies any slack. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #66 of 68
Yeah, Beats completely obliterated MOG. They dumped my account, lost it, couldn't find my info, the monkey business went on and on until I finally decided I just couldn't trust them with a credit card info, and being on Android, Apple is bound to play favorites for platforms. Plus the selection flat out sucked, finding classical music and jazz on Beats is like trying to find a literature professor at a book burning. 

I tried Google Music for two months, and was happy, but now I'm having trouble streaming reliably. Plus the UI customization options are non-existent. So I'm done with that one now too. 

Finally, I am now trying Spotify. Spotify's UI is best, their selection in mature genres seems to be equal or better to Google, and it seems more reliable so far. I am voting (with my wallet) for Spotify. I usually send a departing gift to the music service I am ditching... a screenshot of my new music service's welcome letter. :bigsmile_face:  Too many options in this market to give these companies any slack. 
I lol'd

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #67 of 68
I am very impressed with Spotify right now. Over the last day of trial it's been great, and the music discovery system is better than any other. There's a category of classical I enjoy but could never put my finger on... big, melodramatic pieces. "Baroque" has a lot of composers that fit the bill, but it's not quite baroque. "Romantic" would ideally fit but doesn't quite capture it... So on Spotify's themed playlists I find something called "Epic Classical - Drama. Intrigue. Suspense. Lend some gravitas to the situation." Well, for the last 2 hours I haven't even skipped tracks and discovered a couple Russian composers. I really like this theme system. I want to try "Nightime Serenades" next but am liking this "epic" theme so much it's hard to change it.  

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #68 of 68
Tidal HiFi is up and running now, I'm giving it a try and there is a thread on it already:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/733233/tidal-lossless-streaming

You can get the first week free then it kicks up to $20/mo! :frowning2:

Very spendy if you ask me, however SQ is significantly improved over Spotify Premium IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back