Spotify, is the quality good enough?
Mar 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #32 of 82
This quality isn't spectacular by any means, but I use it primarily as a music discovery tool (which is what it's intended for) and then find better quality recordings (CD or Vinyl) for things I enjoy.  

May 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #33 of 82
I love MOG, use it everyday. Great selection and I use it to listen to music that I normally wouldn't spend $12 on the CD. I hope MOG becomes as popular of a service as Pandora, it really is unlimited music.. When people ask how many songs I have I jokingly say "about 14million" 

May 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #34 of 82
As far as sound quality It sounds great. I never even bothered trying Spotify I don't mind MOG's interface, as long as I have good quality audio user friendliness comes second.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #35 of 82
You guys are lucky to be in the US - I just bought Spotify Premium as am in the UK. The quality difference of premium versus free is readily discernable and really rather exceptional. I can't say it beats my home ripped lossless AAC collection of 330hours and physical media (although some wagner CDs have got scratched), but with My MD10 dac and M^3 amp into HD650 it sounds really very very good. If MOG can improve on that, then I can't wait for it to come to UK! 

Spotify free - great for auditioning tracks here and there; Spotify premium - good enough for me to actually use for serious album exploration and building the best physical library I want going forward.

P.s. I should say I'm into classical, so when Spotify gives me multiple versions of even lesser known operas like Rossini's La Donna del Lago, I get very very excited!

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #36 of 82
Quote:
You guys are lucky to be in the US - I just bought Spotify Premium as am in the UK. The quality difference of premium versus free is readily discernable and really rather exceptional. I can't say it beats my home ripped lossless AAC collection of 330hours and physical media (although some wagner CDs have got scratched), but with My MD10 dac and M^3 amp into HD650 it sounds really very very good. If MOG can improve on that, then I can't wait for it to come to UK! 

Spotify free - great for auditioning tracks here and there; Spotify premium - good enough for me to actually use for serious album exploration and building the best physical library I want going forward.

P.s. I should say I'm into classical, so when Spotify gives me multiple versions of even lesser known operas like Rossini's La Donna del Lago, I get very very excited!

Yeah MOG is better actually for finding music, although Spotify, does have more information on an artist, an displays it really well. Spotify is better in the classical department...Premium or Free I have alot of quality issues with Spotify "skipping" although very brief, very annoying

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #37 of 82
I have a free Spotify account. I was listening today to Spotify radio for background via my computerwhile doing some work when I got a pop up ad mentioning that Spotify was now providing free radio to mobile users. "Great!" I thought.  I've never been prepared to shell out $10 a month for mobile music, so til now I'd been stuck with Pandora or Slacker,  both of whose quality is crap. I'll take a free upgrade to Ogg Vorbis q5 for sure!

With my computer-based Spotify radio still playing, I downloaded Spotify to my iphone and set up the username and password, then went to settings to set the app to "high" quality from the default "normal". That's when I noticed an option I wasn't expecting -- "extreme". Quitting my computer's Spotify and switching my Airport Express from computer over to iphone, I selected the radio tab on the iphone app, saw the radio station I'd literally just been playing (Thelonious Monk "Blue Monk"), and fired it up. The iphone radio picked up literally where the computer radio left off, and there is no doubt in my mind that I was getting 320 kbps equivalent sound. I could hear a sparkle in the high piano notes and a roundness in horns that just wasn't there off of the computer app.

I've heard what others have said hre that only a fraction of Spotify's library is in Ogg Vorbis q9, but given that I'm using this app for free, I'm pretty excited, and I know the song I was listening to is available in q9 because I heard the q5 version just a few seconds earlier and it the difference was clear as day. Heck, I'm excited just to discover there is now an option with better sq than Pandora and Slacker for my iphone. I downloaded the app fully expecting q5, and what I got was q9. It's ironic that the iphone app actually provides higher quality to free users than does the computer app, but hay, I'm not complaining!

If you're debating whether or not paid Spotify is worth the money, I can't answer that for you. For me it isn't, and nor is paid MOG. It's true that MOG provides its free users with 320 audio, but you only get a finite number of plays, and the mobile app requires a paid account. If I had $10 to burn on music per month, I'd absolutely download 10 songs off of iTunes. But if you're looking for a good free option, Spotify radio for iphone is excellent (and I'm guessing for Android too, but I've only used the iphone app).

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #38 of 82
Is there much difference between the two paid versions of Spotify? The Unlimited (cheaper) and Premium (more expensive). I know that the second is the only one giving 320 kbps, but I would like to know if the difference is so noticeable. Right now I don't have any mobile phone that can use Spotify, so paying twice for not taking advantage of the mobile feature seems a waste of money for me.

I am listening mostly Metal with a Ultrasone HFI-780 connected to a Line 6 UX-1.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #39 of 82
Yeah there is a difference. The Highs are more tinny and music is not nearly as beautifully layered. I had the same dilema, and chose the premium You may like Mog Better. 320k 5 bucks

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #40 of 82
If you decide to go with Spotify and you're running Windows, go to:

http://www.equalify.me

You can download a free add-on equalizer for the Spotify application there. It makes a big difference for me.

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #41 of 82
Quote:
Yeah there is a difference. The Highs are more tinny and music is not nearly as beautifully layered. I had the same dilema, and chose the premium You may like Mog Better. 320k 5 bucks

Quote:
If you decide to go with Spotify and you're running Windows, go to:

http://www.equalify.me

You can download a free add-on equalizer for the Spotify application there. It makes a big difference for me.

Thanks guys. The problem is that I am in Europe, so no MOG for me, and second, I'm using Mac, so no equalify for me. But I will look for any other similar add-on :)

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #43 of 82
Quote:
I don't notice a real quality issue, the only thing that annoys me is the damn ads on the free version...

God! Seeing as your so hard to please maybe the Artist's should just give you the music free!

Seriously, anybody who thinks $9.99 (or £10) per month is too expensive for unlimitted, mostly 320kbps music from a vast library playable to your iPhone, Android, PC or (in my case) WDTV Live to my TV is expensive then your either unemployed or a kid.

Thats only $0.33 (33p) per day! You can't even buy a packet of crisps for that.

Rant over, I'm a well pleased Spotify Premium member with my iP5 and Klipsch X10i's.

PS. If it wasn't for the adverts how else do you think your going to get free use?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #44 of 82
Geebus 10 bucks C'mon MITT.. Anyways, i had some past posts of trying Spotify, MOG and (had rhapsody for 8 years or so). All of them are just killer.. For overall tone, MHO goes to Rhapsody....both MOG and especially Spotify can get a little bright. (not in the way of a crappy low grade bright) but just bright.....Anyways
Presently SpoTifY   is my go to. Reason Being, 1st equalify app for Spotify is a MUST. takes out the annoying peaks displaying the 320 ogg perfectly. Also, Spotify is seemless between songs and especially GAPLESS songs. If you ever touch on classical music, or pink floyd_ish type 1 play albums..l Mog and Rhapsody become unlistenable. The gaps, especially in MOG is comical.....I do LOVE mog tho, other than this major flaw

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #45 of 82
Quote:
Geebus 10 bucks C'mon MITT.. Anyways, i had some past posts of trying Spotify, MOG and (had rhapsody for 8 years or so). All of them are just killer.. For overall tone, MHO goes to Rhapsody....both MOG and especially Spotify can get a little bright. (not in the way of a crappy low grade bright) but just bright.....Anyways
Presently SpoTifY   is my go to. Reason Being, 1st equalify app for Spotify is a MUST. takes out the annoying peaks displaying the 320 ogg perfectly. Also, Spotify is seemless between songs and especially GAPLESS songs. If you ever touch on classical music, or pink floyd_ish type 1 play albums..l Mog and Rhapsody become unlistenable. The gaps, especially in MOG is comical.....I do LOVE mog tho, other than this major flaw

I get your point, but perhaps Pink Floyd was a bad example. Unless I'm mistaken, the Pink Floyd catalog is not available on Spotify. It is available on MOG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back