Spotify, is the quality good enough?
Jan 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

eltocliousus

Member of the Trade: Audible Bond
I've been using Spotify for a while now and it's definitely one of my favourite programs as of late, the ease of use, massive library's of music available in seconds is very convenient and it's a great way to explore music rather than listen to the same genres/artists religiously.
So far the quality (High quality via preferences menu, apparently it's 320kbps Mp3 however it's rumoured that less than a third of collective music on the program is available in high quality) has been ok for me, I've been using the integrated sound on my computer and a pair of XB500s EQ'd to hell and back but recently I've upgraded to a pair of HiFiMAN HE-300s and a FiiO E10 and while they sit in limbo between inner Europe and the UK I've been pondering if spotify will bring out the beauty of my new hardware or will leave me feeling disappointed and have me buying FLACs again.

Without rambling on my main question is to those who have experience with spotify and listen/have listened regularly in the past using decent equipment, should I switch to higher quality sources or will spotify be enough? Thankyou.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 82
Can't you just listen to a lossless file on your computer and listen to that same song on Spotify to see if you see a difference? 

If you do that a few times, since only a third is 320kbps, you will stumble upon some that aren't 320kbps. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 82
And remember that you'll need a premium membership to get a taste of the 320kbps! 

I've compared some albums that i know are 320, with a FLAC album and my ears can't hear any difference. I'm using beyer dt 990 pro's with the NuForce udac-2.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 82
Spotify only streams about 1/6 of their library in 320 kbps.  MOG on the other hand, despite its horrendous interface, streams their whole library in 320 kbps.  I'm a happy user, and payer.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 82
Spotify quality is pretty good, despite the fact that 1/6 of the library is in 160kbps all the music i listen to (80's pop and late 70's groove) is hard to find in good quality, but spotify definetely deliveres that =D

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 82

Quote:
I've been using Spotify for a while now and it's definitely one of my favourite programs as of late, the ease of use, massive library's of music available in seconds is very convenient and it's a great way to explore music rather than listen to the same genres/artists religiously.
So far the quality (High quality via preferences menu, apparently it's 320kbps Mp3 however it's rumoured that less than a third of collective music on the program is available in high quality) has been ok for me, I've been using the integrated sound on my computer and a pair of XB500s EQ'd to hell and back but recently I've upgraded to a pair of HiFiMAN HE-300s and a FiiO E10 and while they sit in limbo between inner Europe and the UK I've been pondering if spotify will bring out the beauty of my new hardware or will leave me feeling disappointed and have me buying FLACs again.

Without rambling on my main question is to those who have experience with spotify and listen/have listened regularly in the past using decent equipment, should I switch to higher quality sources or will spotify be enough? Thankyou.

Great Questions. I got the premium a few weeks ago, and just about everything I listen to is most definitely not 320k. I too Love the Program, and now that Spotify also is Gapless I like it even more. But at this time, Rhapsody kills Spotify in sound quality

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 82
On the Other hand I will check out MOG.... Canceled the Spotify Premium

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 82
Yeah Just tried out MOG also, and it's ok, but still Rhapsody Beats this also. At least for the music I like

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 82
Subscribed

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 82
deadhorse.gif
    No Doubt!!!!  You are so right

Quote:
Stop being cheap and purchase the CD's. The artist will get far more money that way, and you'll have the best possible recording quality to listen to.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 82
It's not bad, always liked ogg vorbis.
However, after trying mog, I haven't used spotify since. Free accounts get 320 mp3, I think. Even with premium, there are rumors that spotify's 320 is just up converted from their 160. Even in his review, tyll noticed something fishy. Out of all of the streaming services, his preference was mog, I think.

It's a good read.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-audio-quality-streaming-music-services-home-and-portably

For awhile, I was planning on a spotify premium account, but after using mog, I plan to get MOG primo. The fact that I can download music is nice too. Hopefully I can keep it on my mp3 player.

Oh, and if anyone wants mog free without connecting with Facebook, go to this link:

https://mog.com/user/register

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 82
Actually I too am getting into Mog. Their Creative artist radio is second to none. I really wish Mog was gapless. Spotify's Gapless is seamless

Mar 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 82
Another MOG user and subscriber here. I read one of those super detailed comparisons between the two services (MOG v. Spotify) on Computer Audiophile site I believe and the author sided with MOG based mostly on better quality bit rate and a more comprehensive catalog. That could have changed, however, since I'm sure they are constantly updating their respective catalogues. I've been happy with MOG but I agree, their UI could be improved. I'll see if I can find the link to the article.

Edit: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/MOG-v-Spotify-Part-II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back