Spotify HiFi is a lossless streaming tier coming later this year
Mar 11, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #16 of 29
May 18, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 29
May 18, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #18 of 29
So it seems like it's going to be a sudden change with both Apple and Spotify. Kinda sucks that Tidal (not sure about Amazon, unavailable where I live) still remains the only streaming service with bitperfect playback though.

Jun 4, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #19 of 29
Given that Apple is making their lossless tier free, I wonder if Spotify will do the same

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #21 of 29
I guess they have no other chance to survive than also burying their plan to raise the price for a lossless tier just like Amazon did.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #22 of 29
I'd say as long as Apple's approach is to have some of their library as lossless, some as Dolby, some as god knows what, not to mention their terrible Windows PC support, I don't think they're much of a competition tbh.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #23 of 29
I guess they have no other chance to survive than also burying their plan to raise the price for a lossless tier just like Amazon did.
It's 7.99 and 9.99. How did amazon raise price for high res plan?

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 29
I'd say as long as Apple's approach is to have some of their library as lossless, some as Dolby, some as god knows what, not to mention their terrible Windows PC support, I don't think they're much of a competition tbh.
It’s not. And that’s the cool thing about the Apple Music implementation. Depending on your settings you can listen to the song in Dolby Atmos (if supported). As soon as you deactivate Atmos and have High-Res Lossless active it will switch to this. Really cool.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 29
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #27 of 29
Again my point was amazon did not raise the price as you stated they did raise the price.. You just reiterate what I said.

Edit. Nevermind I read your post wrong. You were saying they chose not to raise price.
Ah, yes sorry I’m not a native speaker ans probably was lost in translation. What I meant was that Amazon had no chance to keep their higher price tier for lossless and gave lossless as free addition to their standard tier as soon as Apple announced their plans - thus no more premium price for High-Res, lower income for Amazon Music.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #28 of 29
Ah, yes sorry I’m not a native speaker ans probably was lost in translation. What I meant was that Amazon had no chance to keep their higher price tier for lossless and gave lossless as free addition to their standard tier as soon as Apple announced their plans - thus no more premium price for High-Res, lower income for Amazon Music.
No worries. Lol we are all good... I just need to pay more attention at times..

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #29 of 29
A bit of progress going on behind the scenes, it appears: https://twitter.com/chriswelch/status/1394474839793090562?s=20
That's cool.

I am fully in the Apple echosystem, but still prefer to use Spotify over Apple Music. Luckily, my work phone is an lg V30, so once Spotify go to lossless, it will be a much easier transition for me, than others has been with Apple Music.

It is interesting reading & watching just how much trouble people are having to go to, for HiRes music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back