Sports Debate Thread
Feb 2, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #31 of 45
Call me crazy, but I think there is going to be a Super Bowl record set, tonight.

Not sure what stat it will be... but there will be one.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #32 of 45
Fastest score in Super Bowl History: 12 seconds; Seahawks

Seahawks first team to score a safety, into return for a TD, and kick return for TD in Super Bowl history.

And quite a few more...

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #33 of 45
That game was both crazy and supremely boring-- even the commercials were really bad.  It's one of those games that's more fun to talk about than it was to watch.  That said, time for some talking!

Every now and then in the NFL-- scratch that-- in sports, there are games where everything doesn't go right at all for one team and the other team just plays out of their mind.  I'd consider this game one of those.  I'm sure some people predicted the Seahawks to win, but nobody expected it to happen like this.  You got the sense it'd be one of those games right from the very start with the botched snap for safety, and then you knew it was one of those games with the return kickoff for TD at the start of the second half.  This was Jets butt-fumble vs Patriots type game, this was Saints 5 turnovers in first half vs 49ers type game.

It sucks for Peyton, because he could have secured a legacy of being one of the greatest QBs if not the greatest QB every, but now he'll have most likely secured his position of being the most losing QB ever in the playoffs.  I sincerely hope he gets another chance or two at the superbowl before he retires and wins one, because I really don't like seeing someone so dominant going out like this.  

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #34 of 45
Man, every time Manning got the ball I was like "okay, maybe they get it together this time." By the time he threw that pick six before halftime (when they finally got in a groove), I knew it was over. That Seattle D was too fast and too strong for Denver. Those are two elements in the game you just can't prepare for.

This game reminded me of how the Cowboys utterly dominated the Bills in both Super Bowls during the early 90s. Also reminded me of Dan Marino's last game when the Dolphins got blown out by the Jags in the playoffs. Granted, the margin of victory was larger in those games... but the dominance displayed, here, was very similar.

As for Peyton's legacy, I hate to say it... but if it wasn't for his one Super Bowl win he'd be referred to as the Dan Marino of this era. Ironically, both have been my favorite players to watch in my lifetime. After Marino retired, I remained a Dolphin fan but always found myself rooting for Peyton in the playoffs. Peyton losing to Brady all those years was like Marino losing to Kelly.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #37 of 45
San Jose Sharks, and NY Jets fan checking in! Mets fan too, sadly...

Sadly... there doesn't seem to be many active sports fans, in here, but welcome!

As for your Jets and Mets...

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #40 of 45

1-) Montreal Canadiens.  In Canada hockey is not a sport, it's a religion, a way of life, a passion.  It embodies the make up of our nation. When my 22 year old son     
      was born & the nurse handed him to me the first words I whispered to him in his tiny ear was "Montreal Canadiens".

2-) Muhammad Ali helped me discover boxing.  The Greatest of all time.

3-) Is there a more noble sport than baseball ?  Love it's history.

4-) The term "poetry in motion" came courtesy of Gale Sayers.  One of a kind.

5-) Abebe Bikila the Ethiopian marathon winner at the 1960 Olympic Games in Rome, Italy.  He ran barefoot.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #41 of 45
Long suffering NY Knicks fan. I have fond memories of the 90's teams, now I have to deal with primadonnas who want to be wined and dined and can't live if everybody doesn't tell them how awesome they are like every minute.

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #42 of 45

1-) Montreal Canadiens.  In Canada hockey is not a sport, it's a religion, a way of life, a passion.  It embodies the make up of our nation. When my 22 year old son     
      was born & the nurse handed him to me the first words I whispered to him in his tiny ear was "Montreal Canadiens".

3-) Is there a more noble sport then baseball ?  Love it's history.

5-) Abebe Bikila the Ethiopian marathon winner at the 1960 Olympic Games in Rome, Italy.  He ran barefoot.

Welcome! I have that exact picture autographed by Ali, authenticated of course :D

Long suffering NY Knicks fan. I have fond memories of the 90's teams, now I have to deal with primadonnas who want to be wined and dined and can't live if everybody doesn't tell them how awesome they are like every minute.

Welcome! As a long suffering Dolphins fan in the NFL, I feel your pain. I hope Melo and LeBron decide what they're going to do, soon. All this speculation on ESPN and NBA TV is killing me!

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #43 of 45

3-) Is there a more noble sport than baseball ?  Love it's history.

Welcome! I have that exact picture autographed by Ali, authenticated of course
biggrin.gif

Hello Change is Good,

The picture is a classic in the sports annals.  I wrote Ali in '74 prior to his fight with Foreman & received a signed letter from him along with a black & white autographed picture of him.  Also, in June 1980 was at the fight between Sugar Ray Leonard & Roberto Duran at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal.  Finally, about 8 years ago I met shook hands with & had my picture taken with Roberto Duran when he came to Ottawa Canada to help raise money for the Boys & Girls Club.  I still had my ticket stub from the 1980 fight in Montreal & he autographed it for me.  Of course there was no way that I was going to tell him I was pulling for Leonard when they fought. 
rolleyes.gif
 He's a great guy by the way, very friendly, very approachable.  Those were the days.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #44 of 45
Hello Change is Good,

The picture is a classic in the sports annals.  I wrote Ali in '74 prior to his fight with Foreman & received a signed letter from him along with a black & white autographed picture of him.  Also, in June 1980 was at the fight between Sugar Ray Leonard & Roberto Duran at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal.  Finally, about 8 years ago I met shook hands with & had my picture taken with Roberto Duran when he came to Ottawa Canada to help raise money for the Boys & Girls Club.  I still had my ticket stub from the 1980 fight in Montreal & he autographed it for me.  Of course there was no way that I was going to tell him I was pulling for Leonard when they fought. :rolleyes:  He's a great guy by the way, very friendly, very approachable.  Those were the days.

Wow, thanks for sharing that with us. I wasn't alive yet to see him fight, but I follow my sports history very closely. I have to say it is one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #45 of 45
Watched my first superbowl today. More out of research then any real interest. Hard to watch because so much commercials everywhere breaking the play and commentators that seem to just mention klichés though since I never followed the sport I have never heard them before..

lynch making a big play. That is a big play.  Why do they have to follow such a strict formula for how they talk make it feel directed more then live and spontaneous.

As for the game I may miss some subtle tactics but if it wasn´t for the commercials it would be quite interesting. There is some fat guys standing in the way some small fast guys sprinting and then some quarterback getting the american hero role.  This Brady guy is supposedly singlehandedly going to win the game for NY Yets and boy does he want to win this game. I am sure the rest of the team is not that interested in winning the game? 

The middle act was better though again ruined by pepsi commercials. What sucks is that all this capitalism is just spreading. We have since long power breaks in ice hockey over here too. It´s totally ruining the game :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back