Sports Debate Thread
Jan 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Change is Good

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm curious to see how many sports fans we have, here, from all over the world. I see there is no official sports thread besides the MMA thread... so I figured why not open one for all sports in general.

Let me start off by saying I live in Florida and watch all kinds of sports, but am only most familiar with the three main professional sports in America (NFL, MLB, NBA). My favorite teams in each sport are the Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Braves, and Miami Heat. I have loved each team since I was a child and have had both good fortunes and bad. Most bad fortunes have come with the Dolphins, but the recent success of the Heat in the last decade has made up for that long pain and suffering. Still, it's sad that my favorite team in my favorite sport has lived in a world of mediocrity for most of my life.

Anyways, feel free to chime in and talk about your beloved teams from all over the world.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 45
Grew up in NY, moved around the country, so have a mix of teams I've loved from my NY roots to recent.............

NY Rangers
NY Giants
Oregon Ducks College FB and BB (daughters both attended)
Portland Blazers
Chelsea Premiere League Soccer
Portland Timbers MLS

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 45
Live in Australia myself. I've been following AFL since I was a kid. I follow Adelaide (Crows), I also follow South Sydney in the NRL and love my union too, watching as much as I can of the Wallabies. I'm obsessed with Cricket and follow the teams games overseas as well as at home. I also enjoy watching games between other sides when they are good series like England vs India was or South Africa vs India.

I also follow the Vikings in the NFL, Twins in the MLB, Penguins in the NHL, Brooklyn in the NBA. Don't ask me how I came to follow such a different grouping, the teams clicked with me at the time and went from there.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 45
  Live in Australia myself. I've been following AFL since I was a kid. I follow Adelaide (Crows), I also follow South Sydney in the NRL and love my union too, watching as much as I can of the Wallabies. I'm obsessed with Cricket and follow the teams games overseas as well as at home. I also enjoy watching games between other sides when they are good series like England vs India was or South Africa vs India.

I also follow the Vikings in the NFL, Twins in the MLB, Penguins in the NHL, Brooklyn in the NBA. Don't ask me how I came to follow such a different grouping, the teams clicked with me at the time and went from there.

@Eternal Schism, that's how it usually happens! You don't live in the states so... so your mind just makes a choice as you go when following American sports. I say you are lucky, because I was born like this
tongue_smile.gif

And I don't like how Brooklyn did us the other night...
angry_face.gif

Grew up in NY, moved around the country, so have a mix of teams I've loved from my NY roots to recent.............

NY Rangers
NY Giants
Oregon Ducks College FB and BB (daughters both attended)
Portland Blazers
Chelsea Premiere League Soccer
Portland Timbers MLS

@Oregonian, nice of you to chime in! I'm glad you don't follow the "other" NY teams (Jets, Knicks)
tongue.gif
... we might have had problems lol

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 45
@Eternal Schism
, that's how it usually happens! You don't live in the states so... so your mind just makes a choice as you go when following American sports. I say you are lucky, because I was born like this :tongue_smile: .

And I don't like how Brooklyn did us the other night... :angry_face:

@Oregonian
, nice of you to chime in! I'm glad you don't follow the "other" NY teams (Jets, Knicks) :p ... we might have had problems lol

Even tho growing up the Knicks were a favorite (when I was 7 they won the title) I never liked bball much as I got into playing hockey non stop. And as to the Yets.........nope. Never.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 45
Even tho growing up the Knicks were a favorite (when I was 7 they won the title) I never liked bball much as I got into playing hockey non stop. And as to the Yets.........nope. Never.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 45
Hilariously enough the Jets are the most competitive franchise in New York.  I'm a Jets fan, so ya-- f u. :smile:

Competitive in what? Being dysfunctional?

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 45
Ever since the birth of the buttfumble and the tebow saga it's become hip to bandwagon on a train of Jets hate as any other sports fan, but it's honestly a train that's long since been driven into the ground and already past its calling.

The Giants went 7-9 last season amidst the worst division in the league.  Both the knicks and nets find themselves at an incredible pace to probably miss the eastern conference playoff spots, which is an incredible feat in of itself considering only 2 teams in that entire conference are more than 2 games above .500 currently.

The Jets were predicted to finish dead-last in nfl standings before this past season.  I'm sure the parade of bandwagon criticism from the years prior were a major result of it, as was the Revis trade.  After the season ended the Jets saw themselves at .500 with perhaps the most dominant defensive front 7 in football along with Seattle, and with wins over the Patriots and Saints, and ended their season by burying the playoff hopes of the Dolphins while having to deal with an extremely inconsistent rookie QB.  Sure it's a completely optimistic way of looking at a sub-par season, but at the same time it's also a big smack in the face to all of their doubters who projected them to be dead-last in the league.  As it stands there's at least 6-8 teams who are in a considerably worse situation currently than the Jets.  I'm sure the Giants will turn it around sooner than later, but the Nets are in a boom-or-bust situation with their aging roster, and the Knicks are just plain embarrassing for performing at their low level of play with the amount of talent on their team.  I guess the top two payrolls in the league doesn't buy everything.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 45
I swear I knew you were referring to this past season. While everything you mention about it is correct, I still say you're delusional lol.

Yankees went 85-77... :wink:

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 45
I never even knew baseball was a major sport anymore.  
redface.gif
    What are the ratings for world series game these days?---- probably lower than a monday night football game between two horrible teams.

Jokes aside, I completely forgot about MLB, my bad.  I don't follow it as can be seen.  I don't follow NHL either.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 45
Hahahahahah! Hey, I'm just pointing out the facts. While steroids ruined baseball, I would assume the Yankees are still the most watched and followed team in NY, correct? Key words being "in NY" being your argument, correct?

And it's all in good humor buddy. No worries :)

Welcome to the thread

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 45
I can't really say which nyc team draws the most tv views from within the 5 boroughs themselves, but I can at least say that if one team's average payroll is 125 million dollars higher than the median payroll for other mlb teams, I'd say they weren't being competitive at all if they didn't make the playoffs every year.  Not even the lakers get that kind of monetary luxury.

Yes, Moneyball was a good movie.  
smile.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #15 of 45
I hate the Yankees for that very reason, bunch of overpaid cry babies. Don't assume I like them, I was just trying to twist your arm a little :wink:

On another note, it was good seeing Greg Oden back on the court, today, after all he's been through. Really happy for him...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back