SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 1, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #826 of 1,054
No, just the Phonitor 2 is single ended, the other models offer both.

From https://www.headphoneer.com/spl-phonitor-xe-review/

Powering Headphones

With regards to headphone performance, there is one important difference between the Phonitor 2 and the rest. The Phonitor x, xe, and e have both balanced and unbalanced outputs. The Phonitor 2 is unbalanced output only. This is quite a big deal for demanding headphones. The balanced output is roughly twice as powerful because it uses a separate power amplifier for each channel.
According to the description at Moon Audio the balanced output on the Phonitor X, XE and E are not twice as powerful and in some cases the Single ended is more powerful than the XLR. See below.
1654102004554.png

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #827 of 1,054
The ratings in the manuals don't match the SPL website info. I mentioned it a few months ago but haven't checked to see if anything was fixed. I'd like to know the real numbers but it seems hard to get that info.

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #828 of 1,054
My reply was just noting that the X, XE, E had balanced outputs, unlike the Phonitor 2.
I probably should not have copied the other part of that review where the reviewer states that the balanced was more powerful.
I have never measured this because I do not use the 1/4 jack with this amp.

I actually use the balanced output on the Phonitor Xe out of safety.
The manual states that you can blow this amp if you have the volume turned up and you plug in the 1/4 jack.
For something so expensive you would think that they would have a safety feature for this.
I never have this issue with my tube amps.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #829 of 1,054
My reply was just noting that the X, XE, E had balanced outputs, unlike the Phonitor 2.
I probably should not have copied the other part of that review where the reviewer states that the balanced was more powerful.
I have never measured this because I do not use the 1/4 jack with this amp.

I actually use the balanced output on the Phonitor Xe out of safety.
The manual states that you can blow this amp if you have the volume turned up and you plug in the 1/4 jack.
For something so expensive you would think that they would have a safety feature for this.
I never have this issue with my tube amps.
Every amp with a 1/4 inch jack is susceptible to shorting. The limitation is the plug; it has nothing to do with the Phonitor. I always turn the volume all the way down before pulling a plug or putting one in. The mute switch is a nice addon.

Almost all my gear is balanced all the way through. But I read some years ago that SPL's position was that balanced headamps are unnecessary. So I wanted to buy one to get the best SE amp :)

Jun 1, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #830 of 1,054
No, just the Phonitor 2 is single ended, the other models offer both.

From https://www.headphoneer.com/spl-phonitor-xe-review/

Powering Headphones

With regards to headphone performance, there is one important difference between the Phonitor 2 and the rest. The Phonitor x, xe, and e have both balanced and unbalanced outputs. The Phonitor 2 is unbalanced output only. This is quite a big deal for demanding headphones. The balanced output is roughly twice as powerful because it uses a separate power amplifier for each channel.

Other than the Phonitor 2´s lack of a balanced output, there are, according to SPL, no significant differences between the four models that affect the headphone amplifiers’ performance. All the unbalanced outputs have identical measurements.

In other words the un-balanced headphone amplifier performance of all the four Phonitors (Phonitor x, Phonitor xe, Phonitor e, and Phonitor 2) will be identical, and the balanced headphone amplifier performance of the ones with a balanced output (x, xe, and e) will be identical.
Phonito2 can HP output via XLR. I confirmed that long ago with manufacturer.

I set the Phonitor 2 DIP switches to output the matrix effects to XLR and use the Phonitor 2 as a pre-amp to my Mac MHA200. I use balanced out of the MHA200 for normal listening and SE out of the Phonitor if I want a straight solid state sound. With the very low noise floor of the Phonitor, just about any amp with XLR inputs could be used in place of the MHA if someone just has to have a tubey sound (like me) or some sort of preferred interface. Over the months I've come to realize what and end game rig this is. YMMV, of course.
Nice setup. Occasionally I use tube preamp to warm things up a bit. That depends on the mood or recording qualities.

Jun 1, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #831 of 1,054
Phonito2 can HP output via XLR. I confirmed that long ago with manufacturer.

True, but I guess the output impedance won't work with most planars, and the jacks are on the back. Maybe it's more useful to think of the Phonitor 2 as an SE headphone amp and a balanced preamp...

Jun 2, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #832 of 1,054
True, but I guess the output impedance won't work with most planars, and the jacks are on the back. Maybe it's more useful to think of the Phonitor 2 as an SE headphone amp and a balanced preamp...
Agree. But HP balanced out option does exist (for the record sake). But, there are other products out there that are probably a more suitable choice for true balanced application.

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #833 of 1,054
Agree. But HP balanced out option does exist (for the record sake). But, there are other products out there that are probably a more suitable choice for true balanced application.
Agreed :)

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #835 of 1,054
Hello good people,

Has anyone here tried the XE with the Utopia and/or the Arya and can speak to the synergy of these headphones with the XE?
I use this combo and like it very much.
My understanding is SPL's 120v technology matches well with dynamic headphones like Utopia.
But please keep in mind I haven't compared it to any other combos.

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #836 of 1,054
Hello good people,

Has anyone here tried the XE with the Utopia and/or the Arya and can speak to the synergy of these headphones with the XE?
With Utopia, simply the best!. I have a choice of a Qutest/Anni stack, McIntosh MHA200/C8 Tube pre amp combo, Naim Atom HE with Unity Core Server, and a couple of Woo amps... Bottom line, the Phonitor xe is getting more and more of its share of on time. Also works very well with HD820 which seem to be permanently affixed to the rear outputs. No slouch with Stellia either. I have the DAC version but use the C8, Unity Core, and other kit on it from time to time. Fun unit... Feature rich and they all work. Any enthusiast ought to try one. The vu meters are an entertaining treat and provide useful info. Get red! I am biased to the extreme but it was money very well spent.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #837 of 1,054
With Utopia, simply the best!. I have a choice of a Qutest/Anni stack, McIntosh MHA200/C8 Tube pre amp combo, Naim Atom HE with Unity Core Server, and a couple of Woo amps... Bottom line, the Phonitor xe is getting more and more of its share of on time. Also works very well with HD820 which seem to be permanently affixed to the rear outputs. No slouch with Stellia either. I have the DAC version but use the C8, Unity Core, and other kit on it from time to time. Fun unit... Feature rich and they all work. Any enthusiast ought to try one. The vu meters are an entertaining treat and provide useful info. Get red! I am biased to the extreme but it was money very well spent.
That’s quite a collection of gear. Congrats

Jun 12, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #839 of 1,054

Users who are viewing this thread

Back