SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 12, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #841 of 1,054
The original. I actually have a modded version. My buddy made him and I a pair so there's actually only 2 in the world of my type. I'll post a pic. It was based off another mod but he tweaked it and improved the design.
I was interested to read your earlier post since I have a pair of HE400i coming tomorrow, and I bought them to run off my Phonitor 2 :)

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #842 of 1,054
The original. I actually have a modded version. My buddy made him and I a pair so there's actually only 2 in the world of my type. I'll post a pic. It was based off another mod but he tweaked it and improved the design.
Think Phonitor goes so well with any headphones you throw at it... haven't tried HE400 but ran it with Susvara, HE1000SE and it drives all Planar wonderfully. Also, drive it with HD800,HD800s, AT R70x, ZMF Aeolus, it drives all of the headphones so nicely...

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #843 of 1,054
Think Phonitor goes so well with any headphones you throw at it... haven't tried HE400 but ran it with Susvara, HE1000SE and it drives all Planar wonderfully. Also, drive it with HD800,HD800s, AT R70x, ZMF Aeolus, it drives all of the headphones so nicely...
Agreed, it is splendid with my HD 800s and 600s as well. I'm not sure how I feel about the LCD-2C out of it though.

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #844 of 1,054
Agreed, it is splendid with my HD 800s and 600s as well. I'm not sure how I feel about the LCD-2C out of it though.
Bought a used LCD-2C and in a day or two sold it off... :frowning2: it was not an issue with the amp but just not my preferred sound signature... didn't take too long to decide to offload it... you need to EQ so much to make it sound to my preference... so if you like and don't mind EQing then might be OK I guess...

But then again never found any Audeze that I liked... including LCD-4, LCD-MX, LCD-3 and LCD-X ... never heard LCD-5 yet....

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #845 of 1,054
I was interested to read your earlier post since I have a pair of HE400i coming tomorrow, and I bought them to run off my Phonitor 2 :)
Here's the pics of the headphones and what was modded on them. I keep telling my friend who modded them that he needs to hear the combo but he lives in another state so that's very difficult. Maybe one day though.

I actually don't love/like the 600 on the XE but I DID like the 650 on the XE. Go figure. I almost never use the 800 on the XE so I'd need to go back and re-listen.

https://imgur.com/a/M84dn1s

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #846 of 1,054
Well the HE400i 2020s showed up and the Phonitor 2 drives them effortlessly, no doubt could set them on fire.

I have a weird issue, at first I didn't believe it but often when I first turn on the amp there is either low or no audio in the left channel. Even then, the VU meters both show the same level.

I have two different DACs on my desktop along with a V280 so I can definitely say it's the Phonitor. If I throw some switches like mono or left only the left channel starts to operarate normally. I guess it's an incipient failure somewhere on the left channel output side. I really don't want to send this back...

Jun 14, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #847 of 1,054
Well the HE400i 2020s showed up and the Phonitor 2 drives them effortlessly, no doubt could set them on fire.

I have a weird issue, at first I didn't believe it but often when I first turn on the amp there is either low or no audio in the left channel. Even then, the VU meters both show the same level.

I have two different DACs on my desktop along with a V280 so I can definitely say it's the Phonitor. If I throw some switches like mono or left only the left channel starts to operarate normally. I guess it's an incipient failure somewhere on the left channel output side. I really don't want to send this back...
I had to send mine for repair. The VU meters wouldn't work and I couldn't get any output. They ended up replacing the entire board but it took quite a while to get back.

Jun 14, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #848 of 1,054
I had to send mine for repair. The VU meters wouldn't work and I couldn't get any output. They ended up replacing the entire board but it took quite a while to get back.
It does not sound like the same issue. How has yours been working since you got it back?

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #851 of 1,054
Should not be possible, no. But there are significant disparities and contradictions between the specs on the pages on their website and the doc on their website.

Will the real specifications please stand up...

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #852 of 1,054
Power output spects are indeed confusing.
Phonitor X for example states 1/4” SE out at 250 ohms 2 X 5 W
And via XLR 2 X 3.5 W.
With 600 ohms load on paper, there’s a significant increase in power via balanced out vs single ended output.
I’ve talked about it with SPL rep a long time ago and it wasn’t clear at the time what the real power rating numbers are. I do remember something being said about more clearly explained power rating coming in the future update. Well, how far into the future is anybody’s guess…

Jun 21, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #853 of 1,054
Power output spects are indeed confusing.
Phonitor X for example states 1/4” SE out at 250 ohms 2 X 5 W
And via XLR 2 X 3.5 W.
With 600 ohms load on paper, there’s a significant increase in power via balanced out vs single ended output.
I’ve talked about it with SPL rep a long time ago and it wasn’t clear at the time what the real power rating numbers are. I do remember something being said about more clearly explained power rating coming in the future update. Well, how far into the future is anybody’s guess…
yeah this output power rating is pretty confusing to say the least and I have heard about this rating update couple of years ago so yeah hopefully very soon :wink:

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #854 of 1,054
yeah this output power rating is pretty confusing to say the least and I have heard about this rating update couple of years ago so yeah hopefully very soon :wink:
As long as my SPL amp can drive my headphones with decent headroom, I really don’t care all that much about true rating. However, it’s quite funny that they don’t care to address it and keep trolling us with update promises. Lol

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #855 of 1,054
As long as my SPL amp can drive my headphones with decent headroom, I really don’t care all that much about true rating. However, it’s quite funny that they don’t care to address it and keep trolling us with update promises. Lol

Yap I have given up on the specs but yeah would be good to finally have the correct information...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back