SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 19, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #376 of 1,050
Here is what SPL has to say in the Phonitor 2 manual: I actually leave my Phonitor 2 on studio level all the time since I have an external device (Sony TA or Focal Arche) connected to the RCA inputs. Try it and see if it makes a difference for you.
RCA input HiFi level / Studio level
If you connect a HiFi audio device (e.g. a CD player) to the analog
RCA input
(18), you can amplifiy the signal from
HiFi level to studio level with DIP switch 3.
The sources are then equal in level when you switch between XLR and RCA (provided that a studio signal is pres-
ent at the XLR input).
DIP switch 3: ON = The RCA input is boosted from -10 dBV (HiFi level) to 0 dBu (studio level)

Yes it made a substantial difference in volume (positively) and sound quality (negatively). IMO on the Phonitor E the DIP Switch 1 (gain) only impact volume levels but DIP Switch 2 impacted volumes and sound quality. For me Dip switch 1 to +22db and Dip switch 2 to -10dBV is the optimal setting.

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #377 of 1,050
It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread.

Just as an update- I continue to be a big lover of my Phonitor X. I've upgraded my DAC to a Chord qutest. This has been a big upgrade to the standard internal DAC192 that my Phonitor X came with. I'm also running a Woo Audio WA6-SE via the RCA outs of the Phonitor X. In this configuration, per the users manual Phonitor X runs as a slave out to the Woo Audio WA6-SE. It totally bypasses the volume pot circuit and runs a ultra clean signal out using the amps impressive voltage rails. I've done listening experiments and I hear no difference between running my WA6-SE directly for the Chord qutest vs. running it through the Phonitor X! In this configuration Phonitor X acts as a preamp. Actually, with Phonitor X in the system adds, weight and dynamics to the signal. No doubt about it! I get the best of both worlds, solid-state via the Phonitor X and a high quality tube amp via the WA6-SE.

This is just a reminder that this amp to me has to be considered one of the best amps, not only for it's resolution and transparency but as for it's flexibility in being able to be the centerpiece for a very high quality system.

Just my report from the wild...

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #378 of 1,050
Hello all! I am either a portable (DAP or amp) or a speaker person, so never thought of getting a desktop HP setup - until now (I sometimes use the HP output of my Oppo 205). Now that I am doing much more home office, I was thinking of getting a desktop amp to get most out if my HPs.

I am not after a colored sound but dead neutral and without roll offs in the highs or lows. I just want something that can squeeze out the most out of, for example, planars like D8000 Pro. Besides that, I use only studio monitors as speakers even in my living room. So neutrality and clarity are my highest priorities.

Thus I am first looking at the pro-audio products as my first candidates, but I might also bite the bullet once and get something like Cayin HA-6A. I don't need a DAC, as I will use my portables as source (also for Qobuz streaming). HPA V281 as I understand has rolled off treble and warm which is definitely what I don't want.

So the question is, what would be your recommendation? Do you think Phonitor is the right track for me?

Thanks.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #379 of 1,050
Been a while since I’ve posted here. I’ve been experimenting with a couple of different DAC combinations and really like the latest using the Focal Arche as the DAC. I’ve also added some power management (Niagara 1200 and Audioquest power cables). Really very surprised at how much of a difference power management seems to add like more impactful bass, additional clarity and “punch” for lack of a better word. One thing that is not subjective is that volume is louder at the same levels than before the change so clearly something is happening! Very pleased so far. I have temporarily moved my listening set up to the lone air conditioned room in my house so I’m a bit cramped but my wife is tolerant, thankfully! Here’s a pic of the current set up and one of the power management when I was using my Sony TA before the Arche switch.
B1FFEC38-1860-4CA4-A14B-84013EDFDAA0.jpeg
D03076C8-1ADA-44DA-9B7A-09D7806CF0DB.jpeg

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #380 of 1,050

Is that a female 4-pin XLR to dual female 3-pin XLR? I didn't realize till now you could do balanced at the back of the Phonitor 2.

I've got the XE and prefer using the back panel XLR out but I feel like I'm missing out on not being able to do speaker out with the XE and have casually thought about swapping out to an X or 2.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #381 of 1,050
Is that a female 4-pin XLR to dual female 3-pin XLR? I didn't realize till now you could do balanced at the back of the Phonitor 2.

I've got the XE and prefer using the back panel XLR out but I feel like I'm missing out on not being able to do speaker out with the XE and have casually thought about swapping out to an X or 2.
It is. I ordered the cable from Moon so I could do that. Most of my headphone cables are 4 pin XLR so when I purchased the used Phonitor 2 I ordered the cable in a two foot length. Here’s a pic of the back from the internet. As you can see it is labeled on the back that the outputs can be used to drive balanced headphones. You can also add an expansion rack to the Phonitor 2 as well. Here’s a link: https://spl.audio/expansion-rack/?lang=en
31865C7F-7FC8-4846-AEFE-C0C75D9FBC25.png

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #382 of 1,050
It is. I ordered the cable from Moon so I could do that. Most of my headphone cables are 4 pin XLR so when I purchased the used Phonitor 2 I ordered the cable in a two foot length. Here’s a pic of the back from the internet. As you can see it is labeled on the back that the outputs can be used to drive balanced headphones.

That's a nice option for Phonitor 2 users. I'd definitely opt for that had I ended up with a 2 rather than an XE. I bought mine used off CanuckAudioMart and had been waiting for a used Phonitor for quite some time and I wasn't super picky about which one I got. I just knew I wanted to try one.

Now that I've had the XE for some time I can't help but wonder if I should have waited for a 2 or X. In any case here's some shots of my current setup:

20200731_214958.jpg

20200725_012947.jpg
20200731_215200.jpg

If you check out the back-shot you can see the Cable Matters short run XLR cables I'm using between my DAC and amp. It's worth noting that these are in fact high quality cables as noted by the words High Quality printed all over them. Nothing but the best for me. The power cables are also suspicious Amazon / pure chinesium without a hint of UL certification anywhere to be seen. That's what house insurance is for though, right?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #383 of 1,050
That's a nice option for Phonitor 2 users. I'd definitely opt for that had I ended up with a 2 rather than an XE. I bought mine used off CanuckAudioMart and had been waiting for a used Phonitor for quite some time and I wasn't super picky about which one I got. I just knew I wanted to try one.

Now that I've had the XE for some time I can't help but wonder if I should have waited for a 2 or X. In any case here's some shots of my current setup:

20200731_214958.jpg

20200725_012947.jpg
20200731_215200.jpg

If you check out the back-shot you can see the Cable Matters short run XLR cables I'm using between my DAC and amp. It's worth noting that these are in fact high quality cables as noted by the words High Quality printed all over them. Nothing but the best for me. The power cables are also suspicious Amazon / pure chinesium without a hint of UL certification anywhere to be seen. That's what house insurance is for though, right?
Funny! Hope you are heavily insured...

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #385 of 1,050
Hi
Found an interesting review this morning https://www.headphoneer.com/spl-phonitor-xe-review/

In the conclusion the author states ...

"It is, however, in balanced mode, that the Phonitor truly awakens. It sounds powerful and dynamic, clear and transparent – in a very natural and organic sounding way. Simultaneously it has a smooth, sometimes velvet-like tone. It is an amplifier that is impossible to dislike. "

The author seem to know their stuff but it seems to go against what most people say on the forum and the theoretical signal to noise ratio explanation. However, i've decided to try it for myself, i've found a CH800S balanced cable for a reasonable(ish) price so i've ordered that and will see how it goes and will report back here.

I'm staying with the XE & HD800 combo for the long term so might as well scratch that itch!

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #386 of 1,050
Got the CH800S cable today and i've just had a great evening listening to my rig. Its very hard to try and compare the standard jack with the balanced cable because the time taken to swap the cable but it does feel slightly punchier but then that could be that i was listening to laid back Clapton last night and Guns and Roses tonight :).

One thing i will mention is i've been 50/50 regarding the Matrix, certain recordings i liked it on while others i preferred it off. Tonight, everything i've played has sounded great and i have the crossfeed on Max with the 55deg angle.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #390 of 1,050
I went for the Phonitor XE+ (i.e. with DAC), since it had two XLR balanced headphone sockets - one of the front and one on the back. Here’s my setup.

9DA94705-84CA-4957-8D40-6EC7A0BB8058.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back