SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #151 of 1,054
How does the Phonitor 2 compare with a Phonitor X? I have a phonitor 2 right now and would a upgrade be worth it?

From all accounts, there is no objective sound difference between the Phonitor 2 and the newer Phonitor X and XE, other than the X can be outfitted with the SPL DAC192 internally, and the XE can be outfitted with the newer and more powerful DAC768. Without the DACs, both newer models could be seen as a bit of a downgrade actually, as, as SPL puts it: "Unlike the professional version Phonitor 2, features like Center Level, Solo and Polarity are renounced in the Phonitor XE as they are only of use in music production".

https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/phonitor-xe/?lang=en

The Phonitor 2 is sold concurrently as the "Professional" model for music production/studios, whereas the X and XE are aimed at hifi enthusiasts/audiophiles.

Unlike the Phonitor 2, however, the X and XE can use two balanced headphones concurrently through front and back outputs. One the Phonitor 2, one can toggle between one balanced pair of headphones (double XLR output in the back) and one unbalanced (standard 6.3mm jack in front).

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #152 of 1,054
That's the Phonitor X version I own, with the DAC192. I wasn't really in the market for the version w/ the DAC but the deal I was offered when I bought this was w/the DAC. I think it preforms ok. To me the DAC192 has a little bit of that 'tin can' sound in the highs. I know it's not the newest, and latest and greatest but I have a Violectric DAC V850 inbound to me in the next week. I'm hoping the Phonitor X pairs well and I get a more balanced sound. To be seen.

Edit:

I have heard some good reports about DAC768. If I were in the market for a new Phonitor XE, I'd be wanting to audition that version.

But make no mistake. I really do love this amp.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #153 of 1,054
The DAC192 module is competent, sonically, but I don't think it's worth nearly the $300 cost it incurs. The Modi 3, Modi MB or Grace SDAC run rings around it.

Also, via USB on macOS the DAC192 has issues with on-the-fly sample rate changes, and the drivers for it under Windows 10 are, shall we say, challenging.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #154 of 1,054
From all accounts, there is no objective sound difference between the Phonitor 2 and the newer Phonitor X and XE, other than the X can be outfitted with the SPL DAC192 internally, and the XE can be outfitted with the newer and more powerful DAC768. Without the DACs, both newer models could be seen as a bit of a downgrade actually, as, as SPL puts it: "Unlike the professional version Phonitor 2, features like Center Level, Solo and Polarity are renounced in the Phonitor XE as they are only of use in music production".

The Phonitor 2 is sold concurrently as the "Professional" model for music production/studios, whereas the X and XE are aimed at hifi enthusiasts/audiophiles.

Unlike the Phonitor 2, however, the X and XE can use two balanced headphones concurrently through front and back outputs. One the Phonitor 2, one can toggle between one balanced pair of headphones (double XLR output in the back) and one unbalanced (standard 6.3mm jack in front).

Someone please jump in and correct me, but I don't think connecting a pair of "balanced" headphones to the XLR preouts on the back on the Phonitor 2 would yield a "balanced" headphone signal.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #155 of 1,054
Someone please jump in and correct me, but I don't think connecting a pair of "balanced" headphones to the XLR preouts on the back on the Phonitor 2 would yield a "balanced" headphone signal.

Inkedphonitor 1_LI.jpg

... although some here have said that that really isn't balanced. SPL confirmed otherwise before I bought the thing... you can read too, in the upper right corner under "WIRING". The XLR inputs are "electronically balanced" on the Phonitor 2. That's how I connect my LCD-MX4 to it-- balanced via double XLRs in the back.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #156 of 1,054

The Phonitor 2 will. The Phonitor X is pre-out only. The XE has both 4-pin XLR and 1/4 TRS headphone outputs on the back panel.

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #158 of 1,054
Good to know. Thanks Torq. So the Phonitor 2 has 4 amplifiers in it that drive that output for a fully balanced signal?

Maybe - best address that question to SPL.

I was more commenting on the fact that it supports balanced headphone output via the rear-panel XLRs, vs. the Phonitor X which doesn't support heapdhone output at all via it's 3-pin XLR pre-outs. Whether the Phonitor 2 does that with 2 differential amplifiers per channel for a fully balanced-differential feed, or via transformers (or some other way to split phase) off one single-ended amplifier per channel, I have no idea. But make sure you don't short the grounds from those connections into a single-ended (e.g. TRS) adapter.

Mar 2, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #159 of 1,054

Thank you! Basically I will be a giant idiot to sell a Phonitor 2 and buy a Phonitor X. Considering my current DAC should be superior to DAC inside of the X or E, Phonitor 2 should be objective on par with those.

Can confirm Phonitor 2's XLRs on the back will work for a 4 pin XLR balanced headphone cable with a 2 x 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR connector.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #160 of 1,054
Maybe - best address that question to SPL.

I was more commenting on the fact that it supports balanced headphone output via the rear-panel XLRs, vs. the Phonitor X which doesn't support heapdhone output at all via it's 3-pin XLR pre-outs. Whether the Phonitor 2 does that with 2 differential amplifiers per channel for a fully balanced-differential feed, or via transformers (or some other way to split phase) off one single-ended amplifier per channel, I have no idea. But make sure you don't short the grounds from those connections into a single-ended (e.g. TRS) adapter.

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure some of the discussion gets lost with SPL due to the pro audio usage of "balanced" vs our headphone usage of the word "balanced" ... thanks Tyll.

In my emails with them they said the Phonitor 2 was not a truly "headphone balanced" amplifier out the back.

Can confirm Phonitor 2's XLRs on the back will work for a 4 pin XLR balanced headphone cable with a 2 x 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR connector.

I don't think this would drastically change the sound signal path so I'm curious how much of a benefit do you find it to be? Is the output on the back at a similar volume as the 1/4" output on the front?

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #161 of 1,054
Got it. Thanks for clarifying. I'm sure some of the discussion gets lost with SPL due to the pro audio usage of "balanced" vs our headphone usage of the word "balanced" ... thanks Tyll.

In my emails with them they said the Phonitor 2 was not a truly "headphone balanced" amplifier out the back.

I don't think this would drastically change the sound signal path so I'm curious how much of a benefit do you find it to be? Is the output on the back at a similar volume as the 1/4" output on the front?

You are 100% right, I didnt find any noticable improvement in sound quality. However, its much safer for me to use balanced so I dont risk shorting the amp when I am unplugging my headphone. And yes, volume is about the same.

Mar 3, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #163 of 1,054
@Relaxasaurus Where have you read that? Using the Phonitor XE right now, SE doesn't sound better than XLR to me at first blush. It's not terribly easy to compare because you have to turn the volume knob all the way down to swap to SE and it's quieter than the XLR output.

It only takes me maybe 5 seconds to do that because I have an adapter I made, but it's still long enough between the two that I wouldn't be confident in instant impressions.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #165 of 1,054
Thanks for the input. There's some chatter about it earlier in this thread, along with official specs showing the SE output measures better than the balanced, which seems unorthodox to me.

It’s actually the expected behavior.

Absent a theoretically perfect system (not possible in practice) a balanced differentail amplifier will exhibit twice the noise level as a single-ended implementation of the same basic amplifier circuit. All amplifiers have noise. Put two of them together, operating in opposite phase, and the total noise is the sum of the individual amplifier’s noise.

That said, with with the Phonitor X you’re talking about differences down under -130 dB, which makes them well beyond the realms of audible concern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back