SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 27, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #181 of 1,051
Agreed. Very suspicious
They are supposed to be Tyl's old Headamp and have claimed to be in Montana.
I received an email reply back - with an Oregon address listed at the bottom.
Another automated email telling me I left something in my shopping cart - with an 800 number which I dialed and rang to some computer generated recording in English and another language

365 day return on all items - please
Sure- I'll take a Utopia, Stelia and a Phonitor. Actually make it two. Speak to you in a year for my RMA :)

Apr 27, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #182 of 1,051
Has anyone had any experience getting the Phonitor from Headphones.com? I dealt with them back in Tyl's day 20 years ago however not recently. They seem to state a 365 day return policy which seems ridiculous and not too believable. They also do not have a telephone number to call and verify this return policy as well. I am usually not trusting of places which do not have telephone numbers.
It would seem like a good way to demo this unit.

they have small alternative forum and they can be contacted there I think, as far as I now they are a good company to deal with...

Apr 27, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #184 of 1,051
And the 365 day return policy?

Who else carries the Phonitor - I dont see many dealers

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #186 of 1,051
B&H
"special order - non returnable and non cancelable"

May 14, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #188 of 1,051
I bought my Phonitor XE from them (headphones.com) plus a pair of Elegia and Clears, they have been very responsive and helpful. Also to note I am very active on their forum, and a part of there preview program, and I’ve written reviews on the gear I’ve previewed.

I plus others have had no issue with them, and they are very responsive.

May 26, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #189 of 1,051
Broken in now. With Utopia and Z1R I feel this is the best solid state amp I have ever heard. The XE was the best option for me with rear outputs for headphones. The Phonitor II has stuff consumers would not really use. Silver is backordered indefinitely. Had to get black but the lettering stands out better IMO. I am not sure why more people are onboard with this but it was explained earlier. Probably not many people using Benchmark or Genelec either. Missing out IMO. Consumers are not quick to embrace pro equipment. Being in the studio I always have. The thing is great with no settings. Use the crossfade and other selections I really do not think there is anything that can beat it. Even tubes. I too found that all single ended sounds better as it is dual mono and not balanced.

May 31, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #192 of 1,051
Great Review! I completely concur with it! I love my Phonitor XE and it is probably not going anywhere anytime soon.... a quick note though...my least favorite thing... the paint used on the front panel text (power symbol, a/b switch for front and back headphone inputs, etc), mine is almost gone on the headphone switch. The power switch text is also chipped off a bit. I figure I'll look into some small vinyl stickers that match up and put them on. Outside of this... (first world problem) I love the amp and find it paired with the Aeolus very well (still prefer my tubes).

The power issue with the single ended is mildly terrifying, and I am extremely careful about it, pause source, turn the volume all the way down on the Phonitor XE, then plug in lol. Or honestly I just used balanced 99% of the time, the other 1% is because I'm lazy about switching out my single ended cable on my headphones when swapping from tubes to Solid state lol.

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #195 of 1,051
4 months later this remains the best Headamp I have ever heard. I either own or have heard all the highest amps including tubes. Yes, I feel this beats any tubes as well. Before I even touch the myriad of controls on it. Nicely on this balanced is equal to SE as it is dual mono. In case one does not have balanced headphones. That is not to say it is lacking in any way. It is not IMO. This thing is fantastic says I . Including the fact that I received a huge discount on it. As I mentioned only the black was available in the XE at the time. I do not know about now. It does not bother me. The writing is easier to read. My writing has not worn off, no gaps in case ETC. My specimen is fine. Perhaps I just lucked out. I cannot use the remote volume as it also controls my speaker preamp too. No big deal, I set it for the pair I am listening to and leave it there. I primarily use the Z1R and Utopia with it. Overall I prefer the Z1R. This will show you just what the Z1R is really capable of. Worlds beyond Sony's own amp. Of course YMMV on this. This stuff is all personal. So as always I say listen first or buy with a return policy. You may love it like myself or hate it as well. I just wanted to provide a long term update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back