SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Aug 18, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #211 of 1,051
I just make it a point to go through the steps everytime when I connect and disconnect a pair of headphones regardless of if the are single ended or balanced.

On another note, I know this isn't selling forum. But I'm thinking about selling my silver Phonitor X w/DAC. I bought this new in late December 2018 from an authorized dealer in Vancouver, British Columbia. It's in as new condition and everything works as it should. I'm trying to see if there is any interest in this.

Please feel free to DM me if you have interest in buying my amp.

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #212 of 1,051
Why are you selling it if you don't mind me asking? Always curious what people upgrade too.

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #213 of 1,051
Why are you selling it if you don't mind me asking? Always curious what people upgrade too.

My wife thinks it looks ugly. I had it running as a preamp to a pair of Genelec speakers in the living room. I ended up having to compromise and bought a Violectric V281 and V850 that she said she liked the look of more. Overall my wife is very accepting of my hobby so I've learned to pick my battles. The Phonitor X has been boxed up since March in the original box and hasn't been touched. Though I'm sure I'll miss her dearly I think it best to send her to a loving home where she can be enjoyed.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #214 of 1,051
Oh man the v281 is a beautiful piece of equipment. Those are the two that are always at the top of my list. Congrats on the nice equipment and the uber cool wife. Sounds like you won the life lottery

Aug 18, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #215 of 1,051
Oh man the v281 is a beautiful piece of equipment. Those are the two that are always at the top of my list. Congrats on the nice equipment and the uber cool wife. Sounds like you won the life lottery

It's interesting. From a performance stand point, the Phonitor X and V281 are very similar. The Phonitor has a little more of a black background to my ears. People tell me the V281 has more power under the hood but I can't tell the difference. The Phonitor is a very linear amp. If you feed it poor quality recordings then it will tell you. But if you feed it a steady diet of high quality music then it will reward you.

I never have had a chance to try it. But I always wanted to pair the Phonitor with some of the Chord DACs or with the RME DACs. I have a feeling that these pairings would be audio nirvana.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #216 of 1,051
In my research I've seen some people (I can think of 2 reviews I read that used this pairing) really like the Phonitor with the RME. And since I have the RME I'm halfway home. For now, I'm using a Jot with the RME and I like it, but as everyone knows in this hobby, what's around the corner? You know? The Phonitor X, even with the scary idea of single ended burn up, sounds intriguing. I'd really like to hear one. I have also looked at the V281, and that lead me to the Niimbus. That amp seems like a beast! Lots of choices out there. Benchmark hpa4 too.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #217 of 1,051
I too have the RME-Adi 2 Dac and for me this is end game gear. Ive heard similar information regarding pairing it with the v281 and the Phonitor X., XE and E. I will be grabbing an SPL in the near future and will report back once I do.

Aug 18, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #218 of 1,051
I too have the RME-Adi 2 Dac and for me this is end game gear. Ive heard similar information regarding pairing it with the v281 and the Phonitor X., XE and E. I will be grabbing an SPL in the near future and will report back once I do.

Sounds good! I hear you about the RME! I also own two Yggy's on speaker rigs, but on my main headphone rig I have the RME. And I just love it! Maybe there's better DAC's out there, the Yggy's are excellent for example. But, I'm on the RME all of the time with the HD650. It sounds fantastic, I really enjoy my headphone time now, with RME. Slow Filter rules! I don't even feel like I'd want to put a yggy in my main rig headphone chain. The RME really gets it done. Looks cool too with the lights!

I really want to get a better amp now to compliment the RME. I'll be looking forward to your review on the Phonitor with RME when you get one. Likewise, if I impulsively pull the trigger on one (Phonitor) here in the near future, I'll report back as well.

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #219 of 1,051
It's really an amazing piece of gear and one that really has no limits. Just look at the SPL website, this company produces nothing but the finest gear for professional audio. The home audio market for them is only a new and small segment of their portfolio.

I think its this heritage in pro audio that extends to the home audio line. I can see the Phonitor being a useful device for those that are music producers, either with traditional instruments or those that produce electronic music. Likewise those that work in spoken word, people that host podcasts for example, can benefit for such a technical piece of gear.

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #220 of 1,051
@RobertSM have to get you on the Rme hype train. You won't regret it plus it has a fancy eq on the front. Btw if you are interested in RME stuff their shop has a friends and family discount sign in that gets you a bit of saving. Shipping from the Netherlands to Vancouver Canada took two days.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #221 of 1,051
Glad to find this thread.. I've been reading about the Phonitor as well now that Ive been using the ADI-2.. sounds like it could be the go to upgrade in my signal chain.

To note about getting hands on the ADI-2, I'm also in Vancouver and got mine through Long & Mcquade, which was a handy option for me since its local, they ordered it in and I picked it up on store and even got to place it on an inexpensive monthly payment plan, which helped seal the deal for me when I initially bought it.

That said, the ADI-2 is stellar and worth every penny.. on its own it absolutely holds its own weight, but still feels like some performance is there to be had with a more capable amp, which is well noted. Needless to say, keeping my eyes peeled for any deals available on a Phonitor.

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #222 of 1,051
Glad to find this thread.. I've been reading about the Phonitor as well now that Ive been using the ADI-2.. sounds like it could be the go to upgrade in my signal chain.

To note about getting hands on the ADI-2, I'm also in Vancouver and got mine through Long & Mcquade, which was a handy option for me since its local, they ordered it in and I picked it up on store and even got to place it on an inexpensive monthly payment plan, which helped seal the deal for me when I initially bought it.

That said, the ADI-2 is stellar and worth every penny.. on its own it absolutely holds its own weight, but still feels like some performance is there to be had with a more capable amp, which is well noted. Needless to say, keeping my eyes peeled for any deals available on a Phonitor.
I think Headphones.com has a good deal on some open box Phonitors... I haven’t checked in a bit though so don’t quote me...they are also a Vancouver webstore...I.E. ship locally in Canada. They also have distribution in the U.S. they really won me over with their customer support and approach to their forum.

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #223 of 1,051
I found a factory refurbished Phonitor E on Amazon with a nice discount.

Sep 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #225 of 1,051
Anyone here have any comparisons to the Massdrop THX 789? I've always been interested in a Phonitor, and they seem to be going for a similar sound target. the limited impressions on the THX 789 place that unit above the Phonitor 2.
I’ve had both, sold the THX789... the Phonitor XE is what I have and it is in my opinion an upgrade over the THX789, it has more power, versatility, “darker/deeper”? Backgrounds better imaging etc.... It’s essentially the THX789 but better in every way...but it costs exponentially more, so if you have the means I would recommend the Phonitor over the THX789...but the 789 is essentially a baby Phonitor in the other direction so it is also an easy recommendation, especially for the price point. Both are excellent at not coloring the sound, though the Phonitor in my opinion is just better. Also, after having both, I did notice that the 789 can get fatiguing over time, where the Phonitor did not, YMMV.

In sum both are great, especially at their individual price points. Phonitor X/XE is current “endgame” solid state for me, but I can see the THX789 being the same for a lot of folks. Or get the THX789 knowing the Phonitors are a clear upgrade path =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back