SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jun 10, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #121 of 1,049
Im new in the audiophile sector, but I bought a Phonitor X and a Sennheiser HD800S a few days ago. To me it sounds very good, but i dont have any comparison. Im not sure if wether or not i should keep it. If not, i think about a tube amp like EternalArts OTL or maybe something different like RME ADI-2 Pro.

Jun 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #123 of 1,049
I am using the phonitor e + HD800S combo, and I have tried the Manley 300B, some Eddie Current and Schiit tube amps before. To me tube amps do have a more punchy, bouncy bass, but the HD800S is not the right headphones for that. HD800S has a really distorted, muddy subbass response compared to other TOTL. More bass from the amps = more distortion from HD800S, from my experience.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #125 of 1,049
I am using the phonitor e + HD800S combo, and I have tried the Manley 300B, some Eddie Current and Schiit tube amps before. To me tube amps do have a more punchy, bouncy bass, but the HD800S is not the right headphones for that. HD800S has a really distorted, muddy subbass response compared to other TOTL. More bass from the amps = more distortion from HD800S, from my experience.

Can you explain this in more detail please?

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #126 of 1,049
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #127 of 1,049
According to the Phonitor X User's Manual (https://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/produkte-w/Phonitor_x/Phonitor_x_BA_EN.pdf), the balanced headphone output actually has worse noise and dynamic range specification compares to the single-ended headphone output:

Balanced headphone output:

Neutrik 4-pin XLR connector
Pin wiring: 1 = L (+), 2 = L (-), 3 = R (+), 4 = R (-)
Impedance: 0.36 ohms
Damping factor: 180 @ 40 ohms
Frequency range: 10 Hz to 300 kHz ( -3 dB)
Crosstalk at 1 kHz: -90 dB
THD & N: 0.00091 % (at 0 dBu, 1 kHz, 100 kohms load)
Noise (A-weighted): -98 dBu
Dynamic range: 130.5 dB

Single-ended headphone output:
6.35 mm TRS connector
Pin wiring: Tip = Left, ring = right, sleeve = GND
Impedance: 0.18 ohm
Attenuation factor: 180 @ 40 ohms
Frequency range: 10 Hz to 300 kHz ( -3 dB)
Crosstalk at 1 kHz: -90 dB
THD & N: 0.00091% (at 0 dBu, 1 kHz, 100 kohms load)
Noise (A-weighted): -103 dB
Dynamic range: 135.5 dB

The Phonitor 2 only has a 2 channel Alps volume pot, I wonder if it is actually a "dual mono" design rather than full differential balanced output. Not sure if the Phonitor X having 2 channel or 4 channel volume pot.

I am seriously considering the Phonitor 2/X recently for a "studio/dry sounding amp", then I found some treak with my Metrum Aurix and decided sticking with it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #128 of 1,049
I don't know about dry but my Phonitor E does sound very "correct". And my ears can confirm that the balanced output has more distortion than the unbalanced.

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #131 of 1,049
I have samples of both the X and the E right now. They have the built-in dacs, but I am am running xlr cables from my Directsream Jr. Dac into the E. These might even be theGrizzlybeast tour pieces--silver E and red X. I have not tried the X yet, and have only used the E without the crossfeed engaged. Qucik switch-flips produced no immediate diff, so I am ignoring it for now. I am going to get a Luxman P-750u soon, also for audition, but I am liking the E so far.

Jan 15, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #132 of 1,049
I have samples of both the X and the E right now. They have the built-in dacs, but I am am running xlr cables from my Directsream Jr. Dac into the E. These might even be theGrizzlybeast tour pieces--silver E and red X. I have not tried the X yet, and have only used the E without the crossfeed engaged. Qucik switch-flips produced no immediate diff, so I am ignoring it for now. I am going to get a Luxman P-750u soon, also for audition, but I am liking the E so far.

I made that mistake too at first. Ignoring the CROSSFEED function. In fact, I initially thought Crossfeed detracted from the original sound as there initially appears to be a slight loss of volume and dynamics with it on. BIG MISTAKE! I was very satisfied with the sound without the crossfeed, but only a few months in, really did my research and started fiddling with the dials. Needless to say, the crossfeed function, after getting used to it, I feel took my headphones to another level, adding more 3D imaging, headroom, and overall spatial depth to the sound. I would say SPL's speaker room arrangement headphone implementation is probably one of the best in the business and one of the prime attractions here. My Matrix settings are firmly locked on Crossfeed 4/ -0.9 Center/ 30 degree Angle and not likely to change anytime soon.

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #133 of 1,049
I have not yet hooked up the X. I will at some point, when I return the E to work so my coworkers can hear it as well. (The samples both have built-in dacs, but I will probably not use them, so if I bought one for myself-a real possibility at this point, I'd get one without the dac-probably an E in red, but I owe it to myself to warm up and try the X while it's here... Thanks,. btw, for your suggestion on the crossfeed..

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #134 of 1,049
I have not yet hooked up the X. I will at some point, when I return the E to work so my coworkers can hear it as well. (The samples both have built-in dacs, but I will probably not use them, so if I bought one for myself-a real possibility at this point, I'd get one without the dac-probably an E in red, but I owe it to myself to warm up and try the X while it's here... Thanks,. btw, for your suggestion on the crossfeed..

Did you have a chance to explore the X? How does it compare to the E?

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #135 of 1,049
I did get a chance to listen to the X as well. I thought it might have sounded a tiny bit better than the E, but I did find, much to mu surprise, that the cross-feed was quite good, and usable, even for a crotchety purist audiophile like me. I've returned both samples to the distributor, but I would have been happy to have either as my main or only headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back