SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 17, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #17 of 1,050
As much as I love the Phonitor X, having to send it back - causes a ground loop hum when using studio monitors. It will cost too much to sort it using top quality isolators and/or power conditioners, so I'l have to find another dream amp for the HD800.

Violectric V281 or the new Pro iCan perhaps.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #18 of 1,050
  As much as I love the Phonitor X, having to send it back - causes a ground loop hum when using studio monitors. It will cost too much to sort it using top quality isolators and/or power conditioners, so I'l have to find another dream amp for the HD800.

Violectric V281 or the new Pro iCan perhaps.

Hi,
If the Phonitor cause ground loop, so the every other grounded amp will do the hum also. The solution is to not use the grounding. For safety reasons it will be grounded with connectors shield and another unit in your setup, so no worry about...

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #19 of 1,050
  Hi,
If the Phonitor cause ground loop, so the every other grounded amp will do the hum also. The solution is to not use the grounding. For safety reasons it will be grounded with connectors shield and another unit in your setup, so no worry about...

It's already gone back unfortunately, the V281 is coming next week - I'll see if it still happens.

I'm not sure what the latter half of your last sentence means :¬)

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #20 of 1,050
The units are coming today but I am tired of waiting for UPS and I need to go celebrate my birthday. When I listen to them I will share impressions and list the order of the tour

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #21 of 1,050
Happy Birthday and looking forward to your impressions!   I think my HD800S sounds pretty good out of the MZ2S and Liquid Carbon, but I also wonder whether there are even better pairings (within budget) for such a headphone.  Should be fun and educational to try the E.   

Quote:
  The units are coming today but I am tired of waiting for UPS and I need to go celebrate my birthday. When I listen to them I will share impressions and list the order of the tour

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #22 of 1,050
It's already gone back unfortunately, the V281 is coming next week - I'll see if it still happens.

I'm not sure what the latter half of your last sentence means :¬)

The second part shoul explain, that you should not be worry about safety when you 'unground' the amp, as the whole rig haa ground connected through signal cables which finally go to the grounded unit in your rig

Dec 23, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #23 of 1,050
The second part shoul explain, that you should not be worry about safety when you 'unground' the amp, as the whole rig haa ground connected through signal cables which finally go to the grounded unit in your rig

Ah I see, thanks!

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #25 of 1,050
I would love to hear your impressions of the Phonitor E. I had my eye on the Cayin IHA-6 but this might be the ideal amp for my setup. 

Can the Phonitor E output a balanced signal if it is not being fed by a balanced signal? 

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #26 of 1,050
Update: Tour sign up is closed. I will be posting the list soon. 

Quote:
  I own the Phonitor X (PX for short). It's incredible. No hyperbole. It does everything right; all strengths, no weaknesses. 

My choice of headphone with it is the HD800 via Sonarworks Reference 3 (SWR3). I do not understand why anyone with these cans would not use SWR3, it transforms them entirely (for the better). If you've not heard of SWR3, it's a plugin that calibrates speakers and headphones for optimal, flat output. It's aimed at producers and mix/master engineers (the kind who master the records you listen to) who need accurate sound. The change you get from that alone is far more than any amp will do for you. It supports a raft of headphones.

For reference, I have a top-grade headphone setup; Moon 600i, Lumin A1 and Abyss AB-1266 cans. That combo is a dream setup.

So is PX + SWR3 + HD800.

So is PX + SWR3 + LCD-2.

So is PX + LCD-2.

You see my point and the common denominator? 

(All going through Prism DAC with Uptone Regen + linear PSU.)

The game changer for me is the Matrix system. I thought this would be a gimmick at first—I was more interested in the dual 120v power system—but it's proven to be invaluable. The Abyss are a different class of headphone, they simply don't sound like any other headphone. The Matrix system on the PX (and other models) gets closer to that kind of sound with the HD800 (thanks to its already large soundstage).

HD800 with Matrix on, using 55 degrees and 4 crossfade takes the sound out of the 2 channel stereo field and widens/deepens it. It really does work - the sound is much more like that from speakers. Naturally too, better than software.

I upgraded to the PX from the previous P2 (defective - loud hum) as I need the rear 3-pin XLR outs for studio monitors and a dedicated 4-pin XLR for balanced headphones. The PX now has a linear PSU which tightens things up somewhat. This new unit isn't burnt in either, only been playing it a few hours and it's already improving.

TL;DR - straight to the top of the 'prosumer' list for me. While it doesn't replace the Lumin+600i setup, it's a dream machine in its own right. TOTL performance wise.

+ Incredibly transparent
+ 120v dual rail system is genius (see next point)
+ Powers the most demanding headphones with aplomb, with room to spare
+ Perfect production/studio preamp if you use speakers + headphones
+ Gets the most out your DAC/cans with no colouration
+ Bang for buck is off the charts. Best dedicated HP amp I've heard.
+ Matrix system is a game changer 
+ Internal linear PSU
+ Build, feel and ergonomics are top notch
+ Versatile

- Quite literally, nothing

TL;DR for the TL;DR - It gets the most out of your gear. Buy this amp :¬)

I want to say you are wrong but these things are awesome. Both units. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #27 of 1,050
Dec 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 1,050
  Tour order. I received the Units on 12/24 and will hand the Unit (X) off to @humzebra on January 7th. So I can have time to do compare both units. Unfortunately I will ship out Unit X on the tour then since everyone said unit X except for one person. Unit E may end up on a tour somewhere else eventually. 

@humzebra
@Soundsgoodtome
@WNBC
@earthpeople
@gzone3lement
@Hansotek
@heliosphann
@JWahl (if interested ) 
@Army-Firedawg

Thank you again for arranging the program! Do we PM you our shipping addresses? Any way to request store pick-up in case we might not be home?

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #29 of 1,050

Tour order. I received the Units on 12/24 and will hand the Unit (X) off to @humzebra on January 7th. So I can have time to do compare both units. Unfortunately I will ship out Unit X on the tour then since everyone said unit X except for one person. Unit E may end up on a tour somewhere else eventually. 

@humzebra
@Soundsgoodtome
@WNBC
@earthpeople
@gzone3lement
@Hansotek
@heliosphann
@JWahl (if interested ) 
@Army-Firedawg

Thank you again for arranging the program! Do we PM you our shipping addresses? Any way to request store pick-up in case we might not be home?

When its time to be shipped we will PM the next signee for the address. Please specify what you desire at that time. I prefer store pick-up with Fedex myself so I totally get it. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #30 of 1,050
Thank you grizzlybeast for organizing this.

If it helps, humzebra and I have high interest in the E, but maybe 2 people are not enough.  E would be my choice, budget-wise.  I am happy to audition the X though as it will get me a feel for the SPL sound signature, which is probably going to be similar to the E, except without all of the bells and whistles.  Maybe I'll love all the features of the X and consider going above budget, such is the curse of Headfi.

My main question is whether I can get pushed to the bottom of the list?  I will be out of town for the first 3 weeks of February.  Keeping in mind the shipping time between the first two reviewers, it might not get to me in time.  Better to play it safe.  I'm sure the others on the list won't mind :)

Quote:

@humzebra
@Soundsgoodtome
@WNBC
@earthpeople
@gzone3lement
@Hansotek
@heliosphann
@JWahl (if interested ) 
@Army-Firedawg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back