SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #46 of 1,054

Does anyone know what optional DAC is used in the Phonitor e or X?  Can't find info on the SPL website.  May write to them to see.

'Optimal' depends on your preferences. I found the PX to be very transparent; it'll showcase whatever you put through it. 

It's up to you to go for either a clinical or musical DAC. 

No he means optional. you can purchase them with a dac chip installed which is why it has digital inputs. I haven't tested it yet and don't know which unit they put the dac in either. I will ask about the chip and I have other questions as well. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #47 of 1,054
  No he means optional. you can purchase them with a dac chip installed which is why it has digital inputs. I haven't tested it yet and don't know which unit they put the dac in either. I will ask about the chip and I have other questions as well. 

Ah yes indeed, mis-read the post :¬)

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #49 of 1,054
BAD NEWS

Phonitor X receiving balanced from my pavane but I have been using the balanced jack on it thus far. So I go to plug in my HD800 with the single ended jack and pops and smells started happening. 

I am wondering if the HD800 cable is wired incorrectly because its a single ended after market cable. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #50 of 1,054
  BAD NEWS

Phonitor X receiving balanced from my pavane but I have been using the balanced jack on it thus far. So I go to plug in my HD800 with the single ended jack and pops and smells started happening. 

I am wondering if the HD800 cable is wired incorrectly because its a single ended after market cable. 

That's strange. Have you used that cable with any other balanced to SE setups?

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #52 of 1,054

BAD NEWS

That's strange. Have you used that cable with any other balanced to SE setups?

No I haven't but I will test it. I was thinking it was the cable myself. I just got these in today. 

Edit:
Trying it now with the Cayin with balanced input and the SE jack and there are no issues at all. 
  Gah, I guess the impressions are delayed then? A new unit incoming?

Yes because but I have had it long enough to post general impressions. for sure. I may have to send the E out instead. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #55 of 1,054
  Grizzly, any thoughts on the Phonitor vs the iCan Pro?

Yes.. I guess I can spoil some from my memory

The Pro :
  1. Better separation and layering (because the Pro has harder transients though the Phonitor is still good at layering)
  2. warmer lower midrange and midbass 
  3. More power
  4. Similar clarity and blackness (which is exceptional and if I had to make a call without a back to back I would give it to the Pro)
  5. Better with planars and low impedance cans
  6. Stronger transients
  7. Better functions since the issues I have had with the Pro are actually supposed to happen and I heard no clipping no matter what output or option I used.
The Pro works better with the HE-6. The fact that it has a warmer lower midrange and rolled off treble caters to the 6's midrange suck out and brightness. There was no clipping. The 6 on the Phonitor sounds like what it really is when its underpowered. 

Phonitor: 
  1. Less treble roll off and more air
  2. Better cross feed implementation
  3. Less thick but still not thin
  4. More upper mids 
  5. Better with higher impedance cans (still okay with planars though the HE-6 makes it clip)
  6. Better tonality (pretty much as close to spot on as I have heard from a solid state amp...which means better vocals, better pianos, and better harmonics)
  7. Much better soundstage width (the pro is very narrow to me but deep) the Phonitor has a natural soundstage where it has decent depth but natural width as well
  8. Bass is very similar between the two but I would say the pro is more focused and the phonitor is more enveloping but still focused.
The Phonitor killed it with the 6XX and was why I was initially so impressed with it. I am eager to hear it with the Eikon the most  because you have a clean natural and liquid amp with clean natural and liquid headphone. The 6XX sounded okay on the Pro with attack and decay and bass control seemed to be okay but the tonality of the Pro worked against the HD6XX and made it sound more weighed down. 

Both:
  1. Sound better balanced (even though the phonitor is less effected and is not a truly balanced amp)
  2. Non fatiguing and smooth treble that is neither harsh, etchy, hashy, peaky, or steely
  3. Refined (though I give the more classy 'true to life' title to the phonitor
  4. Keep from sounding too dry like a lot of solid states
  5. Natural and realistic decay compared to a lot of solid states

So of course we have to move on with the E unit on tour. Due to the Holidays I am not sure the rep will respond fast enough nor do I know if he will send another unit out. Smelling copper is not a good sign. I am mostly confident its not the cable. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #56 of 1,054
Just reading now about the fried amp, I'm really sorry to hear that.  I do appreciate you taking the time to compared the two here, your review on the Pro put that one on my radar a few days back.  These were two of the main contenders as an upgrade to use with my incoming HE1000.  Your thoughts are a huge help, thank you Grizzly!

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #57 of 1,054
Is it possible to be added to the list for a demo?  I would be interested in listening to the E, I actually got to listen to the X recently.  A friend just purchased it.  Paired with a Wavelength Brick and HD800.  He said it is the best combination has heard and could be a final setup.  I live in the Seattle, WA area.  

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #59 of 1,054
  Is it possible to be added to the list for a demo?  I would be interested in listening to the E, I actually got to listen to the X recently.  A friend just purchased it.  Paired with a Wavelength Brick and HD800.  He said it is the best combination has heard and could be a final setup.  I live in the Seattle, WA area.  

I have to stick to the rules because this is not an inexpensive item. Sorry my friend

There are a few people signed up that live in the Seattle Area. Its best if they can get together or you can work out a listen with them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back