SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 31, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #736 of 1,054
Works quite nicely. Ofcause gain needs to be boosted substantially. But I have no complaints. I’ve tried more powerful amp with them and there were pros and cons with use of that, almost limitless power approach. Like with everything else, it is a game of delicate balancing act between things that we value most and settling on reasonable expectations.
…we can’t have it all?….😩😭

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #737 of 1,054
Works quite nicely. Ofcause gain needs to be boosted substantially. But I have no complaints. I’ve tried more powerful amp with them and there were pros and cons with use of that, almost limitless power approach. Like with everything else, it is a game of delicate balancing act between things that we value most and settling on reasonable expectations.
Thanks. I'm thinking about an amp with 2xXLR in and I have been curious about this piece for years. I have amps that should drive the HE6SE well but I saw you had them in your sig and you also have the Phonitor 2 so I had to ask.

…we can’t have it all?….😩😭
We can. Hifi is limited only by 4 factors: budget, credit limit, desk space, and rack space.

There are some fringe opinions that WAF and other irrelevant factors need to be considered but they remain minority opinions.

:D

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #738 of 1,054
Thanks. I'm thinking about an amp with 2xXLR in and I have been curious about this piece for years. I have amps that should drive the HE6SE well but I saw you had them in your sig and you also have the Phonitor 2 so I had to ask.

We can. Hifi is limited only by 4 factors: budget, credit limit, desk space, and rack space.

There are some fringe opinions that WAF and other irrelevant factors need to be considered but they remain minority opinions.

I mean….., don’t get me wrong. I’m no athorit on what works or what doesn’t. All I’m saying that it works and it’s enough for me. I’ve tried HEs with Milo amp which is a beast as far as power goes. I felt that low frequency got a bit more meat on the bone but was it worth shortcomings that came with that amp? I doubt it. Perhaps there were some issues that plagued that particular unit? I can not say for sure. It was noisy. Channel balance was way off. And it locked some transparency up top in higher frequencies. I guess that the cost of brute force that that amp is capable of. Besides, it is so powerful that it just didn’t work with any of my other HPs. Simply too much gain. And that noise issue was even more evident.
I know that Phonitor2 is not some sort of reference amp that other amps should strive to be, but it’s a good all rounder IMO. Just know that, it doesn’t have any particular flavor or sound to it. It’s neutral but detailed. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #739 of 1,054
I'm considering a Phonitor X. Does anyone know how the current output compares to that of a Cayin iHA-6?

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #740 of 1,054

….delegate the vote 😀, keep the veto 😎

Feb 2, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #741 of 1,054
….delegate the vote 😀, keep the veto 😎
I'm confused again :D

Anyway I'm thinking of buying the Phonitor 2 so I can use the 2 x XLR inputs for two DACs. I'll feed the XLR output to my Violectric, so I'll have a choice of balanced out or SE out for different headphones. Just not sure if the Phonitor 2 will fit in the space I have and also if the signal will degrade on the way to the V280.

Feb 13, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #742 of 1,054
Did a minor reorg to make room for the Phonitor 2

1644867119567.png

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #743 of 1,054
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #744 of 1,054
Feb 13, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #745 of 1,054
Not at all. I think it sounds very good :wink:
You do? Ok, great. Its clean for sure. I hate to answer questions such as: "is it good" or "is it SOTA sort of an amplifier"? Bc it's an impossible Q to answer given our biases and personal taste. Not to mention "synergistic" compatibilities among gear and transducers.
Glad to hear that it is working for you.
Anything in particular that you like about it?
I'm just curious....

Feb 13, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #746 of 1,054
You do? Ok, great. Its clean for sure.

I was making a joke since I guess you meant to say it's not a tiny amplifier but you wrote it's not tinny :D

I hate to answer questions such as: "is it good" or "is it SOTA sort of an amplifier"? Bc it's an impossible Q to answer given our biases and personal taste. Not to mention "synergistic" compatibilities among gear and transducers.
I'm just curious....

Too early to tell but I have a positive impression and nothing negative. I ran a pair of TH900s off it and they sounded as expected. Then I tried a new pair of DT 880/600s and I was impressed at the control and the amount of power available with the factory settings. I haven't tried any of the matrix stuff yet since I haven't read the manual.

I wanted a desktop amp with multiple inputs and at least 2 XLR inputs. I like that I can listen off my RME and Brooklyn without pulling cables. It simplified my setup and there's room on top for a headphone stand and one beside it, since it's narrower than the two amps it replaced.

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #747 of 1,054
You do? Ok, great. Its clean for sure. I hate to answer questions such as: "is it good" or "is it SOTA sort of an amplifier"? Bc it's an impossible Q to answer given our biases and personal taste. Not to mention "synergistic" compatibilities among gear and transducers.
I'm just curious....
Today I remember you and your marvellous thread... When I saw an ADX5000 in the classifieds... :relaxed:

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #748 of 1,054
I was making a joke since I guess you meant to say it's not a tiny amplifier but you wrote it's not tinny :D

Too early to tell but I have a positive impression and nothing negative. I ran a pair of TH900s off it and they sounded as expected. Then I tried a new pair of DT 880/600s and I was impressed at the control and the amount of power available with the factory settings. I haven't tried any of the matrix stuff yet since I haven't read the manual.

I wanted a desktop amp with multiple inputs and at least 2 XLR inputs. I like that I can listen off my RME and Brooklyn without pulling cables. It simplified my setup and there's room on top for a headphone stand and one beside it, since it's narrower than the two amps it replaced.
It's quite flexible as far as connectivity goes. And there's a ton of other features that most users might find gimmicky (I don't feel that way). Also, plenty of input/otput stage gain. Matrix is cool if you're trying to recreate (to a degree) particular environment of a recording studio setup or to mimic stereo speaker positioning/staging. It takes a little time to get a hang of it. Engaging it compromises some transparency (if your system is revealing enough) but not by much. SPL got some How-To videos explaining various settings and functions. It might be worth checking those out.

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #749 of 1,054
Today I remember you and your marvellous thread... When I saw an ADX5000 in the classifieds... :relaxed:
Ohh yeah. Thanks. It was a marathon of a review (sort of speak). Anything there ever was to find out about my experience with ADX5Ks is there. I still feel the same way about them as I felt back then. And they're still my go to headphones. I just can't justify spending 4-5K for TOTL headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back