SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #721 of 1,054
To back it up I saw a review in which the reviewer couldn't tell the difference between DAC768 and RME ADI-2-DAC FS.
Sound is the main thing of course, but the feature set of the RME is far beyond any other all in one so depending what you're looking for, you might choose one or the other, or neither.

Jan 27, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #722 of 1,054
To Phonitor XE owners: I just received mine and have a couple of questions about what settings to use.

1) DIP switch 1: On or Off? I am using pretty efficient Focal Clear MGs, so do I need the HiFi or Studio Gain?
2) DIP switch 2: On or Off? Why would I need my RCA inputs to have added gain? To match the balanced inputs?
3) Will I really blow up the amp if I insert or remove the headphone jack while music is playing? Seems a bit delicate for a $2400 component
4) Anybody use uograded fuses? If so, did it make a difference?

Thanks for your help with this!

Jan 27, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #723 of 1,054
To Phonitor XE owners: I just received mine and have a couple of questions about what settings to use.

1) DIP switch 1: On or Off? I am using pretty efficient Focal Clear MGs, so do I need the HiFi or Studio Gain?
2) DIP switch 2: On or Off? Why would I need my RCA inputs to have added gain? To match the balanced inputs?
3) Will I really blow up the amp if I insert or remove the headphone jack while music is playing? Seems a bit delicate for a $2400 component

1) Sorry I only have X and looks like the Dip switch is different to mine. Believe 22db increase for Focal might not be necessary. I would try without turning Dip swith 1 on and see how it goes. Most likely you won't need to turn that on as it has ample power to drive your headphone. I have mine at +12db for my HD800 but +22db was way too much power for my headhpone.

3) This statement is only applicable to 1/4" output. 1/4" output does not have safety machanism and hence if you are pluging headphone in and out while playing music, there is chance you could damage your amp. Best thing is to mute the amp and change your headphone. For XLR, you no need to worry about plugging headphone in and out.

2 & 4 someone else could answer.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #724 of 1,054

Just entering my third week of Phonitor XE ownership with ten days of very heavy usage. Purchased with the DAC option and have tried every permutation/combination with my other gear and the Phonitor XE that I can think of.
Headphones used are:
Focal Elear, Stellia, Utopia on both balanced and SE outputs
Sennheiser HD820 on both balanced and SE outputs - these cans are now permanent residents on the rear output!
Sennheiser HD800 on SE only
Sony MDR-Z7 on SE only
Master & Dynamics HM40 on SE only
I have fed the Phonitor by way of two pre amps on balanced and RCA, 3 outboard DACs by way of the pre amps, streamed Apple Music by way of iPhone, iPads, Mac computers on USB, and optical (late 2013 Mac Pro for optical direct, CalDigit dock for laptops (2). Coax from a Naim Unity Core server. No AES use.
I offer:
1) Leave switch 1 off, absolutely no need to turn it on. Maybe on if in future you have hard to drive headphones relative to what I have listed?
2) Leave switch 2 off, again no need to turn it on for typical use. All the input/output combinations have massive headroom with the listed headphones.
3) Yes, you might... there have been postings of damage that may have resulted from such usage. For what its worth, my Woo amps have similar warnings in their operating directions or frequently asked question sections. My Chord Anni manual also has some similar verbiage. Different manufactures say it in different ways. SPL uses more direct stronger language. Good practice to turn the volume down and not sweat it.
4) Not tried any but my situation has not given me reason to change.

I bought the Phonitor XE with hopes of adding a different flavour to my gear collection but had no expectation of getting a better amp. Got both!

Two issues... it is tough on some tracks that play well on other gear. The tracks might not be what they appear to be. Very revealing but, thankfully, not fatiguing. I decided to purchase a few of my Apple Music favourites from Pro Studio Masters and load up a Naim Unity Core server. A test lot. Compare/contrast. Appeared to be from the same masters... Kenichi Tsunoda Big Band Scale (96 24), Take Five, as an example... If into critical listening you will rejoice at the extra detail achieved with the Phonitor. Maybe the Voltair technology at play? A justification to collect for local storage as well.
Downside so far, a very minor click when sample rates change while using the USB input. Have not seen another post mentioning this and it is so minor most may not notice.

If you try the different switch settings or upgraded fuses I hope you post your thoughts. Enjoy your amp.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #725 of 1,054
Just entering my third week of Phonitor XE ownership with ten days of very heavy usage. Purchased with the DAC option and have tried every permutation/combination with my other gear and the Phonitor XE that I can think of.
Headphones used are:
Sennheiser HD820 on both balanced and SE outputs - these cans are now permanent residents on the rear output!
Sony MDR-Z7 on SE only
I have fed the Phonitor by way of two pre amps on balanced and RCA, 3 outboard DACs by way of the pre amps, streamed Apple Music by way of iPhone, iPads, Mac computers on USB, and optical (late 2013 Mac Pro for optical direct, CalDigit dock for laptops (2). Coax from a Naim Unity Core server. No AES use.
I offer:
1) Leave switch 1 off, absolutely no need to turn it on. Maybe on if in future you have hard to drive headphones relative to what I have listed?
2) Leave switch 2 off, again no need to turn it on for typical use. All the input/output combinations have massive headroom with the listed headphones.
3) Yes, you might... there have been postings of damage that may have resulted from such usage. For what its worth, my Woo amps have similar warnings in their operating directions or frequently asked question sections. My Chord Anni manual also has some similar verbiage. Different manufactures say it in different ways. SPL uses more direct stronger language. Good practice to turn the volume down and not sweat it.

I bought the Phonitor XE with hopes of adding a different flavour to my gear collection but had no expectation of getting a better amp. Got both!

Two issues... it is tough on some tracks that play well on other gear. The tracks might not be what they appear to be. Very revealing but, thankfully, not fatiguing. I decided to purchase a few of my Apple Music favourites from Pro Studio Masters and load up a Naim Unity Core server. A test lot. Compare/contrast. Appeared to be from the same masters... Kenichi Tsunoda Big Band Scale (96 24), Take Five, as an example... If into critical listening you will rejoice at the extra detail achieved with the Phonitor. Maybe the Voltair technology at play? A justification to collect for local storage as well.
Downside so far, a very minor click when sample rates change while using the USB input. Have not seen another post mentioning this and it is so minor most may not notice.

If you try the different switch settings or upgraded fuses I hope you post your thoughts. Enjoy your amp.
Glad to learn that you love your xe!

I only notice some noise when switching between PCM and DSD. But that's reproducible using PC or a dedicated streamer as USB sources.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #726 of 1,054
Headphones used are:
Sony MDR-Z7 on SE only
I offer:

Thanks very much for your lengthy response. I am following exactly what you recommended. I intend to compare the XE against the Audio-GD Master 19 and the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell. It will be interesting to see which, if any, stands out or stands above. I'll definitely post my impressions.

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #727 of 1,054
1) Sorry I only have X and looks like the Dip switch is different to mine. Believe 22db increase for Focal might not be necessary. I would try without turning Dip swith 1 on and see how it goes. Most likely you won't need to turn that on as it has ample power to drive your headphone. I have mine at +12db for my HD800 but +22db was way too much power for my headhpone.

3) This statement is only applicable to 1/4" output. 1/4" output does not have safety machanism and hence if you are pluging headphone in and out while playing music, there is chance you could damage your amp. Best thing is to mute the amp and change your headphone. For XLR, you no need to worry about plugging headphone in and out.

2 & 4 someone else could answer.
Thanks for your help. Your recommendations match others so I'm going with them. :wink:

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #728 of 1,054
Gain switches are there to either match various source levels or to adj. output gain to properly match demands of your transducers. Doesn't hurt to experiment with different settings. Choose one that works best for you.
Switching to mute (on amp, not source) while shuffling between headphones with single-ended termination is a safeguard I would recommend. I don't know about fuses. I don't really pay attention to that stuff.

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #729 of 1,054
Gain switches are there to either match various source levels or to adj. output gain to properly match demands of your transducers. Doesn't hurt to experiment with different settings. Choose one that works best for you.
Switching to mute (on amp, not source) while shuffling between headphones with single-ended termination is a safeguard I would recommend. I don't know about fuses. I don't really pay attention to that stuff.
Thanks. Since the Clear MG are very efficient a lower gain setting will probably be best. I’ve played with fuse upgrades. Unlike some, I can’t tell if they make a difference.

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #730 of 1,054
Thanks. Since the Clear MG are very efficient a lower gain setting will probably be best. I’ve played with fuse upgrades. Unlike some, I can’t tell if they make a difference.
You don’t want or need to unnecessarily boost gain on rather sensitive/easy to drive hp. More gain equals more noise. Not a huge issue on extremely difficult to drive headphones, when extra gain might be your only option to get most out of that type of transducers.
It’s a nice option to have. But in your case, it’s more of a luxury than necessity. Phonitor has more than enough power to drive most headphones. In your case, low(er) gain might be all you really need/want.

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #731 of 1,054
You don’t want or need to unnecessarily boost gain on rather sensitive/easy to drive hp. More gain equals more noise. Not a huge issue on extremely difficult to drive headphones, when extra gain might be your only option to get most out of that type of transducers.
It’s a nice option to have. But in your case, it’s more of a luxury than necessity. Phonitor has more than enough power to drive most headphones. In your case, low(er) gain might be all you really need/want.
How is the volume control with low impedance headphones with the Phonitor -obviusly selected at low gain-? I had bad times when I tried the Beyer T 1.3 trying to control the volume (it was too loud at minimum volume in some albums and in other albums if I move one point up the volume I found it loud and one point less was too low...) Same happen to me with some albums and my AH-D9200s and I think is because my AIO lack a gain selector.

With mid impedance headphones, like my Beyer DT 1990 Pros I don't have those issues. With HD 800 only in classical genre I need a little more volume with some albums.

Yes, my friend FYFL, I still continue with my current AIO :rolling_eyes:

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #732 of 1,054
How is the volume control with low impedance headphones with the Phonitor -obviusly selected at low gain-? I had bad times when I tried the Beyer T 1.3 trying to control the volume (it was too loud at minimum volume in some albums and in other albums if I move one point up the volume I found it loud and one point less was too low...) Same happen to me with some albums and my AH-D9200s and I think is because my AIO lack a gain selector.

With mid impedance headphones, like my Beyer DT 1990 Pros I don't have those issues. With HD 800 only in classical genre I need a little more volume with some albums.

Yes, my friend FYFL, I still continue with my current AIO :rolling_eyes:
Impedance is one parameter to consider. Driver sensitivity is another. Together, they can give an idea about power requirements of that particular transducer.
What you described is a common scenario with phonitor and headphones with wide range of sensitivity.
For instance, Audeze LCDX is relatively easy to drive hp. And its hard to pass 10-10:30 o'clock mark on phonitor's volume range. Even on lowest gain (dip switches) settings, it has plenty of gain. Setting volume precisely where it needs to be is a bit more challenging but far from impossible. It could be an issue with headphones that are even more sensitive than LCDX. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I don't have any that are being used in this particular setup. If there's no variable gain (volume pot) on your source/DAC, I can see how it could be an issue with few of those very sensitive headphones. If DAC is part of your phonitor, perhaps your PC or streamer can compensate with its own volume controls (not a fan) ? Just to be clear, I'm using Phonitor2 without DAC so, I'm not sure how it compares to other products from phonitor family...

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #733 of 1,054
As to tube amps and ADX5K. Eventho I own more than few amps, SPL Phonitor2 (solid state voltage-gain) and Inspire Dragon IHA-1 by Dennis Had (vacuum tube) are the only amps that ADX5K are plugged into. One offers extreme transparency and other, a bit of that tube characteristics that works really well with these high impedance headphones.
C4672663-1A6A-4F83-BC45-783D09D7844D.jpeg

Dedicated Vinyl system.
F71824F7-A8F0-4500-92A1-53EB93C62CD0.jpeg

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #734 of 1,054
As to tube amps and ADX5K. Eventho I own more than few amps, SPL Phonitor2 (solid state voltage-gain) and Inspire Dragon IHA-1 by Dennis Had (vacuum tube) are the only amps that ADX5K are plugged into. One offers extreme transparency and other, a bit of that tube characteristics that works really well with these high impedance headphones.
C4672663-1A6A-4F83-BC45-783D09D7844D.jpeg

Dedicated Vinyl system.
F71824F7-A8F0-4500-92A1-53EB93C62CD0.jpeg
How does the Phonitor 2 do with your HE6SE?

Jan 31, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #735 of 1,054
How does the Phonitor 2 do with your HE6SE?
Works quite nicely. Ofcause gain needs to be boosted substantially. But I have no complaints. I’ve tried more powerful amp with them and there were pros and cons with use of that, almost limitless power approach. Like with everything else, it is a game of delicate balancing act between things that we value most and settling on reasonable expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back