SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP
Oct 1, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #241 of 311

I have used both the SPL Control2 and now the Phonitor2 as preamps for my big ATC active speakers....you probably know them as HUGELY reputable speakers, used by Pink Floyd, Gilmour, Waters (et al), Bob Ludwig, Mark Knopfler, The Stones, Diana Krall, Sting, T-Bone Burnett, Ronnie Scotts, Royal Opera House, Sydney Opera House, Sony Music Studios, Air Studios, Paul Reed Smith, Calvin Harris, the list goes on....

Previously I have tried an Audio Research Reference preamp which drove them well, but it was only when I changed to the SPLs that I realised what the extended headroom, blackest of black backgrounds, and crystal clear transparency could do.

These SPL units are FANTASTIC as preamps, just lacking a couple more inputs, (which I now have a solution for...) and oh how I wish they had a matching quality moving coil phono capability.

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #243 of 311
  ^^^

Has anyone used the Phonitor 2 as a preamp? Looks like it might do nicely in that role.

best,

o

I do, going to a Stax 323. Works great, I have the volume control dip switch on, so I can use a remote to control the volume even when using Stax.
Also, my Stax get's the Matrix functions with that.

Peter

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #244 of 311

I have an SPL Phonitor 2 feeding ATC Active speakers.

I talked to SPL about the Phonitor 2 expansion rack, which is a rack mount frame and a passive switch, with 4 sets of properly balanced XLR inputs on the back and one pair of output XLRs.
The expansion pack is really to give multiple outputs for either active speakers, power amps, or balanced headphones. I don't need that at present.
What I do need is more inputs than the Phonitor 2 gives (2 sets of balanced inputs & 1 set of RCA inputs.)
SPL told me that with some gender changing adaptors, the Expansion pack could be used as switchable inputs.  Fantastic! So now I have5 sets of balanced inputs PLUS the Phono/RCA inputs available to me.

Also, I wanted the Phonitor 2 to feed my LARGE ATC Active speakers, which really need a low impedance output from the connected preamp. (The ATC preamps are 10ohm output impedance but new are over £5000.)
SPL told me that the output impedance of the Phonitor 2 is 75ohms.  That is FAR better matching than any of my other pre-amps (including my Audio Research Reference 2 which is 600ohms using XLR or 300ohms using Phono)  This feature alone makes the Phonitor 2 a great match for ATC active speakers. It is HUGELY dynamic, very smooth and detailed, and has neutral, accurate, sound which sounds tuneful and TONEful because it is SO CLEAR that the musicians' performances really shine through.

There are also DIP switches on the base of the unit to change a few things.
You can:
1. Increase all outputs by 12dB
2. Increase all outputs by 22dB
3. Change the sensitivity of the RCA input by 10dB
4. Insert Loop (if you want the unit to be a headphone preamp only, and allow the signal to pass through to the amp outputs WITHOUT being affected by any front panel setting)
5. Activate the Phonitor Matrix settings for the MAIN outputs (really only designed for headphone use) so that these front panel matrix switches and controls ALSO affect the XLR inputs on the rear.

So what is missing?

The ONLY 2 things that MAYBE could have been incorporated are:
1. A SECOND headphone output.
and
2. I have an SPL Control2, which is similar in some ways to the Phonitor 2 but nowhere near as classy, as accurate (the specs are ALL much lower), but it DOES have another simultaneous output XLRs for a subwoofer (mono OR stereo). I REALLY could do with that. Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish that?

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #247 of 311

I agree, peterb123.
I've found that there's no benefit from using the crossfeed etc when speakers are being used. If anything, it changes the sound negatively.
The positive difference comes when it's used with headphones.
I think the only reason it is able to be switched on for the line output is in case you have electrostatic headphones connected, some of which, I understand, need to be connected to the preamp output at the XLR or phono terminals, rather than using a 6.5mm stereo jack as normal.
There are also dip switches for a few other functions on the underside.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #248 of 311
  I've found that there's no benefit from using the crossfeed etc when speakers are being used. If anything, it changes the sound negatively.
The positive difference comes when it's used with headphones.

Exactly - I find it very useful for the Stax 323S I have connected (and a tube amp after the 323).
With that, those amps get crossfeed functionality.

If you connect speakers, it doesn't make sense IMO.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #249 of 311
Hi there,

I've been after getting a Phonitor2 to compliment my Oppo HA-1 dac for some time now.

Before purchasing one just one thing I would like to know. . .

I will be mainly using the Phonitor2 to power my KRK VXT powered speakers via the balanced XLR out which should be no problem.

The thing I also have is a powered sub which will need connecting also. Would it be ok to just use a XLR splitter cable (as in the pic below) to I can rig up both to the Phonitor2.

Would this be OK?

For headphones I would just use the 1/4" jack on Phonitor2 the for my Beyerdynamic T90.

Cheers

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #250 of 311
I also have a phonitor 2, and have the same issue. I did look at a passive splitter and realised it was not the thing to do.
I use big ATC Active speakers. I also have a Focal sub ready to go, but of course the Phonitor 2 only has one output.
I have bought a second hand active unit which will give 2 genuine balanced isolated outputs, made by Canford in the UK. I can't guarantee it because I haven't tried it yet...still messing around with other issues....
Anyway, if it helps, it is a CANFORD PRO-INTERFACE MK 2
http://www.canford.co.uk/CANFORD-PRO-INTERFACE-MK-2-Free-standing

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #251 of 311
  I also have a phonitor 2, and have the same issue. I did look at a passive splitter and realised it was not the thing to do.
I use big ATC Active speakers. I also have a Focal sub ready to go, but of course the Phonitor 2 only has one output.
I have bought a second hand active unit which will give 2 genuine balanced isolated outputs, made by Canford in the UK. I can't guarantee it because I haven't tried it yet...still messing around with other issues....
Anyway, if it helps, it is a CANFORD PRO-INTERFACE MK 2
http://www.canford.co.uk/CANFORD-PRO-INTERFACE-MK-2-Free-standing

Cheers for the help and yes it seems we have the same scenario.

I'm based in the UK too so could use the same XLR active splitter. 

Looking at that unit you suggested it looks like it might work. So the balanced XLR from my HA-1 Dac goes into the balanced input, then the XLR output on the Canford goes to the powered speakers. Then on the other side of the Canford I just plug the sub (which uses a phono) into the unbalanced phono outputs of the Canford. 

Does that sound right?

Bit annoying having to spend an additional £215 just for connections!

Why can't you just use a splitter cable. What is the reason for not doing so?

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #252 of 311
  Why can't you just use a splitter cable. What is the reason for not doing so?

There's no reason not to use a simple splitter actually... its a full blown symmetric line-level with +4dB after all, not a tiny mic signal that might get frightened by a change in load...

Most professional active speakers offer pass-through, i.e. female (in) and male (out) connectors. They are internally just parallel, like the pictured cable.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #253 of 311

There's no reason not to use a simple splitter actually... its a full blown symmetric line-level with +4dB after all, not a tiny mic signal that might get frightened by a change in load...

Most professional active speakers offer pass-through, i.e. female (in) and male (out) connectors. They are internally just parallel, like the pictured cable.

Thanks!

Just the info I was looking for. That will be much easier to use the splitter cable.

:)

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #255 of 311

I am just getting set up and I will post a better picture later.  I posted in the Lynx thread and wanted to post here too.  So far the stack is really something and (because I am 59.5 years old) am thrilled it has a balance control!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back