SPL PHONITOR 2 NEW HEADPHONE AMP
Nov 7, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #212 of 311
hi guys. I am going to purchase the Phonitor Mini next week for my HD600, any advises? :)
The only thing I am not happy with the Mini is that there seems no balanced output...that makes me wonder why it has balanced input...
anyone could explain this? What is the advantages to have a balanced input whilt not balanced output?

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #213 of 311
SPL is primarily a studio company, professional equipment mostly uses symmetric XLR connectors for various reasons. I still don't know whether the Phonitor 2 has a balanced circuit design or not, so the outputs might be pointless anyway.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #214 of 311
  SPL is primarily a studio company, professional equipment mostly uses symmetric XLR connectors for various reasons. I still don't know whether the Phonitor 2 has a balanced circuit design or not, so the outputs might be pointless anyway.

thank you Plakat!
Do u mean there is acturally no difference between the two inputs? 
For example, if my DAC has both balanced and unbalanced output, when connect to Mini/Pronitor 2, will there be different sound? 
I ask this because I am considering buy RCA or XLR cable, you know that the cables are... expensive.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #215 of 311
  thank you Plakat!
Do u mean there is acturally no difference between the two inputs? 
For example, if my DAC has both balanced and unbalanced output, when connect to Mini/Pronitor 2, will there be different sound? 
I ask this because I am considering buy RCA or XLR cable, you know that the cables are... expensive.

Once again: I can't swear on that, but so far I can't remember anyone saying that the Phonitor 2 does have a fully balanced design. I have to admit that I don't consider that too important anyway... the Phonitor 2 I own is a very capable amp, its little brother should be as well as it shares the core parts 1:1 as far as I know.

I still prefer XLR balanced cables (with myself coming from pro audio) as its the more robust connection (electronically as well as physically). But do not spend a fortune on cables... that won't get you anywhere. Stay within sane limits, get a cable of good quality (as can be had at professional equipment stores like Thomann in Europe) and you'll be well served. Absolute no need to spend more than 50-60,- on a pair.

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #216 of 311
got it! Then I will choose freely from XLR and RCA. Acturally I found that I may buy XLR for the DAC, and leave RCA for my CD Player...
thank you again.

Once again: I can't swear on that, but so far I can't remember anyone saying that the Phonitor 2 does have a fully balanced design. I have to admit that I don't consider that too important anyway... the Phonitor 2 I own is a very capable amp, its little brother should be as well as it shares the core parts 1:1 as far as I know.

I still prefer XLR balanced cables (with myself coming from pro audio) as its the more robust connection (electronically as well as physically). But do not spend a fortune on cables... that won't get you anywhere. Stay within sane limits, get a cable of good quality (as can be had at professional equipment stores like Thomann in Europe) and you'll be well served. Absolute no need to spend more than 50-60,- on a pair.

Got it! Then I will choose freely from XLR and RCA. Acturally I found that I may buy XLR for the DAC, and leave RCA for my CD Player...
thank you again.
But acturally I will do a A/B test to see if there is any difference between XLR and RCA connection from a same source.

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #217 of 311
You're welcome.
Compare to your hearts content, but don't let any differences in gain between RCA and XLR deceive you, i .e. The two variants may have differences in volume that might be problematic for a comparison. Norm levels are quite different as well, RCA uses 0dB, XLR comes at +4dB.

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #218 of 311
You're welcome.
Compare to your hearts content, but don't let any differences in gain between RCA and XLR deceive you, i .e. The two variants may have differences in volume that might be problematic for a comparison. Norm levels are quite different as well, RCA uses 0dB, XLR comes at +4dB.

nice!
I ordered the Mini yesterday, now it should be on the way home :)

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #219 of 311
  nice!

I think you won't be disappointed. As I took away from my talks with one of SPLs founders the essential parts in the signal path are the same with both Phonitor 2 and Mini, the price difference comes from features they left out. The right way to go in my opinion...
Let us hear your impressions when it arrives.

Btw.: they put an extra LED into the headphone jack to indicate mute state (not just red around the volume control, but in the headphone jack as well). Nice touch...

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #221 of 311
  nice!

So, what do you think?
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #222 of 311
So stranger no one has done a direct comparison of the phonitor 2730 vs phonitor 2 1280 yet. Also from the specs, the original phonitor appears to have more grunt with high impedance headphone. Whereas the phonitor 2 offers more power to lower impedance headphones.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #223 of 311
So stranger no one has done a direct comparison of the phonitor 2730 vs phonitor 2 1280 yet. Also from the specs, the original phonitor appears to have more grunt with high impedance headphone. Whereas the phonitor 2 offers more power to lower impedance headphones.

The Phonitor 2 output power seemed plenty when I briefly tried mine with an HE-6 during a meet last October. The owner auditioned the combo for a while and seemed very pleased with what he heard. He told me afterwards that he was now considering getting a Phonitor 2 as replacement preamp for the vintage speaker amp normally used to power his HE-6.

As for specs, IMHO the newer Phonitor 2 still seems to be the better amp despite the minor differences in output power:

Phonitor 1
Crosstalk: -67 dB
THD: 0,005%
Noise A-weighted: -97 dB
Dynamic Range: 129,5 dB
Max input level: +24 dBu
Impedance: 9 Ohm

Max. Output Performance (taken from SPL home page):
1,7W (+32,2dBm) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ohms connection
360mW (+25,6dBm) @ 1 kHz and 30 Ohms connection

Phonitor 2
Crosstalk; -106 dB
THD&N: 0,00085% (0,00091% for headphone)
Noise A-weighted: -104,76 dB (-103,98 dB for headphone)
Dynamic Range: 134,37 dB (133,62 dB for headphone)
Max input level: +32,5 dBu
Impedance: 0,18 Ohm

Max. Output Power (taken from SPL home page):
2 x 1W (+30 dBu) @ 1 kHz and 600 Ω connected impedance
2 x 2W (+30 dBu) @ 1 kHz and 300 Ω connected impedance

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #224 of 311

The Phonitor 2 output power seemed plenty when I briefly tried mine with an HE-6 during a meet last October. The owner auditioned the combo for a while and seemed very pleased with what he heard. He told me afterwards that he was now considering getting a Phonitor 2 as replacement for the vintage speaker amp normally used to power his HE-6.

My Yamaha is going nowhere 
wink.gif

The idea was to use the Phonitor 2 as preamp so the crossfeed could work it's magic together with the power amp. Phonitor 2 could then act as headphone amp with my other headphones in the same setup.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #225 of 311
  My Yamaha is going nowhere 
wink.gif

The idea was to use the Phonitor 2 as preamp so the crossfeed could work it's magic together with the power amp. Phonitor 2 could then act as headphone amp with my other headphones in the same setup.

Ah yes! That lovely vintage amp of yours was a Yamaha! Damn me and my poor memory. Thanks for setting me straight. I hope you're still having lots of quality time with your HE-6
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back