Spiral Ears SE6 introduced!
Jan 2, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #151 of 265
@Simon T thank you for the wonderfully detailed impressions.

I have the SE5U and I am trying to wrap my head around whether the SE6 would be a worthy upgrade. Would you say that the SE6 is a brighter, more energetic version of the SE5U? What makes you not want to nap with it?

Thank you.

Hi DeepGroove,

Glad the impression was useful to you... yes, in summary i would say that the SE6 maintains the SE5U qualities while being tuned on the brighter side, thus, improving clarity in the upper register of the sound spectrum, which is translated to being slightly more energetic/less laid-back compared to the SE5U. As for :sleeping:, following up the afore mentioned, I just prefer the more laid-back signature during nap time.

Since you already own the SE5U, it would be easier for me to recommend or not to recommend the SE6, feel free to ask me any question which might help your cause. After all, it is a very significant investment, and as a community member, i just want to help.

I thought LX universal has only black faceplate, that must be some special edition product. Both cable and LX looks gorgeous, enjoy. Best.

Thanks justrest... yes, I was very fortunate... and to me this "costly" hobby is more fulfilling if you are able to find something that not only sounds great, but looks great too :yum:...

Cheers

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #152 of 265
SE6 is amazing!! As Baran said, after market cables degrade the sound! I tried several ones and they all kind of break the balance of tonality.
I am thinking about selling my other BA monitors and after market cables...

Guys, this is just a OFC silver coated copper cable made in USA. They are proper and well made but it's still OFC only. The case with BA-driver CIEM phones is that they really change much with cables, I agree. A similar case is with our Lime Ears Aethers which seem to be tuned to the stock cable also. Nevertheless, when upgraded with a really good pure OCC silver cable, it shall always utterly destroy the OFC copper.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #153 of 265
Guys, this is just a OFC silver coated copper cable made in USA. They are proper and well made but it's still OFC only. The case with BA-driver CIEM phones is that they really change much with cables, I agree. A similar case is with our Lime Ears Aethers which seem to be tuned to the stock cable also. Nevertheless, when upgraded with a really good pure OCC silver cable, it shall always utterly destroy the OFC copper.

Well, the aftermarket cables do enhance the overall performance on quite a few IEMs, but personally I think it doesn't work out on se6. I paired se6 with a few premium occ copper or silver aftermarket cables, but none of them really have improvements while maintaining the original sound signature.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #154 of 265
Utterly destroy? Any claim involving such emphatic language is always funny to me. It is quite rare to hear any high level gear significantly overperform other high level gear...so utterly destroy based on a cable change...

Based on what should a pure silver cable systematically improve the sound of an IEM, when the manufacturer purposely tuned them with something else?

I was talking to Earsonics, and they have tuned their Grace with an SPC with a specific impedance. When you change the cable to another one it usually boosts the treble and gives the illusion of detail. I guess this is the kind of situation where things are utterly destroyed :smile_phones:

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #155 of 265
Utterly destroy? Any claim involving such emphatic language is always funny to me. It is quite rare to hear any high level gear significantly overperform other high level gear...so utterly destroy based on a cable change...

Based on what should a pure silver cable systematically improve the sound of an IEM, when the manufacturer purposely tuned them with something else?

I was talking to Earsonics, and they have tuned their Grace with an SPC with a specific impedance. When you change the cable to another one it usually boosts the treble and gives the illusion of detail. I guess this is the kind of situation where things are utterly destroyed :smile_phones:

I agree that a manufacturer may and most probably often does tune their monitors to a certain stock cable. Why not? However I can't agree that a 8-wire OCC silver supposedly doesn't "utterly destroy" a 4-wire OFC copper cable in most or at least very many circumstances*. I agree that SE6 may be not one of them! That's OK, don't get excited.

I just wanted to debunk the myth of this particular cable, which is just a good quality oxygen free copper, silver coated, that's it. Just so you know.

*And so you know, I can't measure these changes in frequency graphs. People say that silver attenuates the highs but that's not really true. Maybe if it's some bad quality silver? What I most often find with cable upgrade is better imaging. If you have better imaging, it seems that there is less of bass, because it finds it place in the scene, it moves forward, is better defined. Also it seems that there is better resolution and detail, but that's not because of frequency change. In fact my measurements show no frequency response change - including highs - with the cables changed, or a minor change which could be attributed to measurement error when reinserting the IEM. And that's the same change one would often hear with OCC copper vs OFC, not only silver. But you Mimouille would probably know that, having great experience yourself, I'm not reinventing the wheel here.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #156 of 265
I agree that a manufacturer may and most probably often does tune their monitors to a certain stock cable. Why not? However I can't agree that a 8-wire OCC silver supposedly doesn't "utterly destroy" a 4-wire OFC copper cable in most or at least very many circumstances*. I agree that SE6 may be not one of them! That's OK, don't get excited.

I just wanted to debunk the myth of this particular cable, which is just a good quality oxygen free copper, silver coated, that's it. Just so you know.

*And so you know, I can't measure these changes in frequency graphs. People say that silver attenuates the highs but that's not really true. Maybe if it's some bad quality silver? What I most often find with cable upgrade is better imaging. If you have better imaging, it seems that there is less of bass, because it finds it place in the scene, it moves forward, is better defined. Also it seems that there is better resolution and detail, but that's not because of frequency change. In fact my measurements show no frequency response change - including highs - with the cables changed, or a minor change which could be attributed to measurement error when reinserting the IEM. And that's the same change one would often hear with OCC copper vs OFC, not only silver. But you Mimouille would probably know that, having great experience yourself, I'm not reinventing the wheel here.

I am not a cable believer. They may change sound in some cases, but the benefit is debatable, and clearly uncorrelated with price. There is no myth on this cable. I guess he just means that if you change it, you risk that it will not sound the same. Which is true.

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #157 of 265
This pairing is very nice. A bit more warm and mid forward than with WM1Z.

IMG_20190107_113934.jpg

Jan 15, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #158 of 265
This is what living under a rock does to people......I am very late... :darthsmile:

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #160 of 265
Hey man what have you been up to since your last connexion in 2008 :floatsmile:
Can't believe you are still here buddy. You are probably the only one that I know from that "era". loll...I was just chilling....It's great that my SE5ult is still functioning... :)

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #162 of 265
I was about to buy the 64 Audio A18T until I stumbled on this thread. Is the SE6 or SE5U better than the A18T? Also, anywhere I can get some discount of SE6 as I read people quoting £5K?

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #163 of 265
@chukwe Since you’re asking whether “X is better than Y” I would suggest you buy none of them, and buy more affordable models until you can articulate what “better” means for you.

FYI there are several extensive reviews of the SE5U and A18T online.

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #164 of 265
@chukwe Since you’re asking whether “X is better than Y” I would suggest you buy none of them, and buy more affordable models until you can articulate what “better” means for you.

FYI there are several extensive reviews of the SE5U and A18T online.

I listened to the A18(t) at the Canjam 2017 in London and I was blown away with the sound that’s why I’ve been planning to buy it for the past 2 years now. But the thought of shelling out £2,500 for a earphone to be used on my iphone 6 or X to and fro to work making me holding back for years now.

Jan 25, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #165 of 265
I listened to the A18(t) at the Canjam 2017 in London and I was blown away with the sound that’s why I’ve been planning to buy it for the past 2 years now. But the thought of shelling out £2,500 for a earphone to be used on my iphone 6 or X to and fro to work making me holding back for years now.

get a nice DAP , if you're gonna use an iphone just get a 100$ iem for the go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back