Spiral Ears SE6 introduced!
Aug 14, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #32 of 265
sub'ed , this should be a fun thread lol

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #34 of 265
There are lots of things that not everyone can afford, that's the way of the world. Anyone selling is free to set whatever price they think is fair. If the thing sells obviously the price was right.

Maybe some people here on HeadFi are just so used to buying and selling without end, that SE being unsellable (due to cessation of ownership tranfer) is really more upsetting than the price itself, as it means they would need to keep it for years.

Anyway, related to track record mentioned earlier.. I am soon moving into my eighth year with SE3ref, which is hands down my best head-fi purchase. It has served me well through numerous dacs and amps, on planes, mowing the lawn, at work, and in other situations where isolation is a blessing. And the sound itself still appeals to me, after having been through numerous earbuds, inears and headphones.

It hasn't been all rosy, though. One year in mine (like several other's) developed a connection problem. I was offered a remould to upgrade from original fixed to current detachable cable, at my expense, or just get a regular warranty repair keeping the fixed cable. At that time more head-fi'ers locally were getting this connection problem, so it seemed wiser to get the detachable cable remould. This increased total purchasing costs with one third.

Over years the outer layer of lacquer started to peel, eventually it looked too scruffy, so I contacted SE, and was offered a re-lacquering. Much to my surprise (with the remould experience in mind) this was done FOC, and the inears were shipped back to me in a PeliCase.

Inquiring about a cable with smaller footprint for the right-angle minijack (to fit otterbox cut-out) also resulted in me getting from SE exactly the cable/plug I needed.

I have to say that I always found Gzregorz knowledgable, helpful and well articulated in all my email-dealings with him. I wasn't happy about the way the connection problem was dealt with, however subsequent service has been top notch.

€5750 is a lot of money, I agree. With a life span of 7-10 years that's €825/575 a year. How much do those complaining about the price spend a year on inears/headphones anyway?

I can't afford SE6 (or SE5 for that matter), but having lived with SE3 this long, I would love to hear one or both of them, just to experience what magic Gzregorz has been able to achieve.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #42 of 265
Where is the closest place to your house to test drive a Bugatti? Boutique manufacturers for the rich have always played this game, part of the lure is that it is super exclusive and not just anyone can get one.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #43 of 265
Where is the closest place to your house to test drive a Bugatti? Boutique manufacturers for the rich have always played this game, part of the lure is that it is super exclusive and not just anyone can get one.
Well you can rent one.
But there is no test drive for those car ever.
They dont make enough car to sell and they dont have to do marketing. In fact they want to limit the number of order.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #44 of 265
I have always found that my SE3 equals simliar priced headphones. The listening experience is different, more intimate, but sound quality is on par. I imagine this goes for SE5/6 as well. I think there is the misconception that CIEMs are sort of a scaled down headphone, and therefore shouldn’t cost as much. The price of SE6 places it in the company of totl headphones like Utopia, LCD-4Z, PS2000E, Diana, Voce. Aside from the neverending HifiMan-bashing, I don’t see a lot of people complaining about their prices. Maybe it’s time to acknowledge that CIEMs have grown into fullblooded equals to headphones - being same, but different, rather than different, and inferior - and this will be reflected in price as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back