Spiral Ears SE6 introduced!
Aug 18, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #46 of 265
I am so happy that I found my „real love“ aka the Warbler Prelude.

I did read review after review. Spent dollar over dollar. Compared A to B, than Y to Z...

What I had to learn is, that all those InEars sound good, and none of em prolly is worth its price tag.

The owner of SE is imo just greedy. And I hope that this community won‘t support it.

But I am sure soon the first reviews will roll in. Once again the best CIEM is born (until the next review of thesame writer) and the wheel will keep spinning

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #47 of 265
At the current market price and the reputation of the se5, imo $3200 is a great deal, se5 was or top of the chart on few of the totl shootout, there are none that top in multiple chart but se5 did, so se6 deserves it asking price.

So you're judging it as a great deal because a bunch of other manufacturers overprice their goods and because SE has a good reputation? That seems premature and superficial.

One of the universally most praised IEMs is the Andros and they're USD 1100.

We should stop apologizing for overpriced products by saying oh well others are doing it.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #48 of 265
So you're judging it as a great deal because a bunch of other manufacturers overprice their goods and because SE has a good reputation? That seems premature and superficial.

We should stop apologizing for overpriced products by saying oh well others are doing it.

Andromeda is just priced right, but so do those IEMs costing in the 1.5K-3K range such as the A12t, A18t, SE5, QDC Gemini etc since they clearly outperform the Andromeda.

Aug 18, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #49 of 265
Mm..they’ve been around for quite awhile. Proven stuff. New, introductory price is tempting to me. Without a demo ( I understand they don’t do universal demo and no transfer service), this will be a USD 3200 leap of faith....trusting the reputation of SE to deliver. Do they have the right to be THAT confident? From what I’ve read about Spiral Ear over the years, they are to be taken seriously.

I’ve always been a flagship first adopter (KSE 1500, Focal Utopia, HE 1, Tia Fourte etc.). Pioneers get the arrows, settlers the land but Vanguard position is always more interesting.

I am concerned though by the durability of the pin holes. If I go through with the purchase, can I expect trouble-free years of use? I like to experiment with various earphone cables (balanced, unbalanced terminated).

My very short list to choose from: Project K Soundwriter, SE 6 and Erlkonig from Vision Ears. Prefer CIEM so Vision Ears is a maybe. I am leaning towards Spiral Ear SE 6 - least expensive of the lot is a plus and the generally excellent reviews of its predecessor (topped several shootouts as conducted by headfiers I trust, the THL people) is also a plus. Risk factor: any of the 3 will be a blind purchase. Audition is just not possible from where I am.

Is the SE 6 significantly better performing than its predecessor? Or is it just a “different flavor”? An exciting leap forward or a disappointing sidegrade.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #50 of 265

Instead of people just say that they have the money or they want the product being overpriced or no, they try to justify something that is not justifiable.
I bought many expensive audio products, the prices are just ridiculous and non sense, but if I can afford, I will buy. But I don't agree with this.

The backlash about the price made the owner of Spiral Ears reduce the price and make a letter trying to justify his conduct. To me this sounded even more pathetic than the price.

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #52 of 265
Ok first of I'm not sprial ears fan I have never owned any of their iem and have never heard it, all I know about them is by reading reviews and totl shootout, and they top a few chart, no other iem today can claim that title, some of the member here was saying that their reputation alone worth 3200, vision ears new iem is 4200 euro, I dont hear any complaints about that and they not as popular as spiral ears

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #53 of 265
Mm...even if a universal demo for the SE 6 was made available, it will still be very difficult to audition and fairly judge the CIEM. You can’t fairly and accurately judge a CIEM by its universal proxy.

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #54 of 265
Over the years I've sporadically checked the spiral ears and never once saw any kind of discount. This is all marketing plot and shooting for the common spread disease called elitism/envy. But as much I don't approve that kind of plot they are on the right track. And just to make myself clear this is not by any stretch exclusive to spiral ears only.

For us it's about sound and for them is about cash only, make no mistake. Now let's enjoy a bit more this kind of talk on head fi since it's very hard to stumble on this kind of collective thinking :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #55 of 265
To me it appears somewhat naive to think that people on HeadFi only care about sound. All the human weaknesses ‘out there’ flourish on HeadFi as well. Obsession, ego, envy, herd/pack mentality, to name a few. Even the us/them term is plain group mentality.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think you would spend years making better sounding inears still, if you didn’t care about sound. I also think you need to sell a lot of them, if it’s just about getting rich, which frankly I doubt that Spiral Ear has.

That aside, I have noticed that some increasingly expensive gear is coming out of Poland (DACs, Amps, inears, ao), and have wondered if the labour/matierial costs situation has changed there in recent years, or if it's due to a surge in demand (locally, or perhaps from Russia).

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading some SE6 reviews.

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #57 of 265
Mm..they’ve been around for quite awhile. Proven stuff. New, introductory price is tempting to me. Without a demo ( I understand they don’t do universal demo and no transfer service), this will be a USD 3200 leap of faith....trusting the reputation of SE to deliver. Do they have the right to be THAT confident? From what I’ve read about Spiral Ear over the years, they are to be taken seriously.

I’ve always been a flagship first adopter (KSE 1500, Focal Utopia, HE 1, Tia Fourte etc.). Pioneers get the arrows, settlers the land but Vanguard position is always more interesting.

I am concerned though by the durability of the pin holes. If I go through with the purchase, can I expect trouble-free years of use? I like to experiment with various earphone cables (balanced, unbalanced terminated).

My very short list to choose from: Project K Soundwriter, SE 6 and Erlkonig from Vision Ears. Prefer CIEM so Vision Ears is a maybe. I am leaning towards Spiral Ear SE 6 - least expensive of the lot is a plus and the generally excellent reviews of its predecessor (topped several shootouts as conducted by headfiers I trust, the THL people) is also a plus. Risk factor: any of the 3 will be a blind purchase. Audition is just not possible from where I am.

Is the SE 6 significantly better performing than its predecessor? Or is it just a “different flavor”? An exciting leap forward or a disappointing sidegrade.

The Erlkonig is very, very different in signature from the SE5u and quite frankly, I don't think that it's worth $4,200 euros, or even $2,500 euros. Basically they amplified all of the good and bad things about the VE8 and ended up with a very distinct but also very flawed IEM. Granted, that described the Tia Forute's and KSE1500's as well, but those are readily available under $3,000.

If the SE6 is to the SE5 what the Erlkonig is to the VE8 (and this is entirely speculation on my part), I'm not convinced that it's worth $3,000 either. That said, this is the most interesting Silicon CIEM in a while. If I have a chance to demo one, I might be interested in purchasing it at the new price point.

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #58 of 265
t_upset_txt.jpg

Sep 6, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #60 of 265
Well, you guys haven't read the read more near the price..

It stated that the price was due to unavailability of components to mass manufacture(they went custom drivers and complex tubing structure)

Which in turn increased the price.

SE5U is the most coherent multi BA ever created as per review and spiral ears states that they have taken all those feature from SE5U but more resolution and scale of stage..

Read the whole website carefully.

They were going proprietary, and custom things, if not mass manufactured, are super expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back