Spiral Ears SE5 Ultimate Discussion/ Impressions thread
May 13, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #136 of 317
Hi all, I have the million (well, maybe more, thousand) euros question:

What are the differences between the SE5 ref and ult?

From what I could read/understand, the ult are supposed to go a bit further in the highs, be a bit more refined there also, and have more airyness. But that's all I could muster from my readings. Are there any other differences, or at least, alleged differences, sonically I mean?

I already have the ref, and I'm considering whether it's worth it going ult.

Thanks to all

May 14, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #137 of 317
A year ago I tried Ony's SE5Ref and the main difference, to me, was in the midrange and the sub bass. The Ultimate seems to be flatter in the mids and extended with more slam in the sub bass.

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #139 of 317
A year ago I tried Ony's SE5Ref and the main difference, to me, was in the midrange and the sub bass. The Ultimate seems to be flatter in the mids and extended with more slam in the sub bass.

@Rollk2 I see you own both the SE5U and EM10, and I am hesitating between the two... @flinkenick's EM10 review give me a fair idea of the difference in sound sig, but one question comes to mind given the notice on the order form "Regarding the 5-way models, they do need a lot of physical space necessary for the components, so it's not possible to make them for everybody if ear size is too small." This shouldn't be an issue as I have big ears / canal, but how big of a size difference is there between EM10 and SE5U ? Do the SE5U protrude a lot ?

Last but not least, Spiral Ears mentions that they use "soft silicone material" and not an acrylic shell, would I be wrong assuming this is more comfortable ? Is there any concerns with durability with Silicone (forgive the newb questions, first customs) ?

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #140 of 317
SE5U don't protrude too much, a bit more than the EM10 but it's ok. However, the nozzle is longer than the EM10 one.
The fit of the EM10 is far better as they're made with a 3D printer. I'd to add some silicon laquer on my SE5U to achieve a better fit. As silicon is soft the durability in a soft case is to me a kind of problem... but they're durable :wink:

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #141 of 317
SE5U don't protrude too much, a bit more than the EM10 but it's ok. However, the nozzle is longer than the EM10 one.
The fit of the EM10 is far better as they're made with a 3D printer. I'd to add some silicon laquer on my SE5U to achieve a better fit. As silicon is soft the durability in a soft case is to me a kind of problem... but they're durable :wink:

Thanks a lot for the quick feedback :thumbsup:
It means size will be less of a factor than fit. Longer nozzle is good to know as well as fit/durability. I am not sure how deep an insertion I would feel comfortable with. ... didn't know about the 3D printing for Earsonics, interresting :)

Food for thoughts!

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #142 of 317
This thread has been a HUGE help so I want to thank all of you.
I have been wearing various IEM’s for years but have been debating a pair of CIEM’s for some time.
I started digging again seriously 2 weeks ago.
I was debating the Westone or UE as I wanted to be able to use them Bluetooth (yes I know sound quality goes down with BT)
And I did not want a bulky module to have to carry around and then I saw there is a company here who makes custom BT cables
So this opened MANY more choices and I thought I was sold on the Zeus XR but after reading more on the SE5U I decided this was the route I wanted to go!
I am getting impressions done in the next few days and hope my ears are not too small for the SE5U... If they are well then the debate starts all over but for now I have my fingers crossed.
As for colors I am debating the translucent green or just clear.
Anyway thanks for listening :)

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #143 of 317
My Ultimates has been getting more listening time lately once I found out AK240 is a good match for it. SE5U seems to need a good matched source to sound it's best. Other players it sounds good with are AK380 and Lotoo PAW Gold.

When I go back and forth between my Andro and SE5U, I realize that it's a warmer iem, but not with bass bleed. It just has a significant bass slam and sub presence. Also has a wider stage ambiance as well.

Yall should hear the bongo from Eagles - Hotel California Live (Hell Freezes Over 1994). That bongo hit at the beginning of the track exemplifies how well the SE5U output the bottom end.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #144 of 317
My Ultimates has been getting more listening time lately once I found out AK240 is a good match for it. SE5U seems to need a good matched source to sound it's best. Other players it sounds good with are AK380 and Lotoo PAW Gold.

When I go back and forth between my Andro and SE5U, I realize that it's a warmer iem, but not with bass bleed. It just has a significant bass slam and sub presence. Also has a wider stage ambiance as well.

Yall should hear the bongo from Eagles - Hotel California Live (Hell Freezes Over 1994). That bongo hit at the beginning of the track exemplifies how well the SE5U output the bottom end.
I feel the LPG makes the SE5U sound significantly more engaging than the 240, but it took me some time to feel like this.

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #145 of 317
I feel the LPG makes the SE5U sound significantly more engaging than the 240, but it took me some time to feel like this.
I referred to LPG as hot sauce because it does output sound in an engaging manner. Not only for SE5U, but also for iSine20 as nothing could really save the iSine's wonky signature(with the non-Cypher cable of course), but the LPG.

Don't you have the LCDi4? Are you using the LPG with it? If so, I wouldn't be surprised.

Anybody tried to the QP2R?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #146 of 317
I referred to LPG as hot sauce because it does output sound in an engaging manner. Not only for SE5U, but also for iSine20 as nothing could really save the iSine's wonky signature(with the non-Cypher cable of course), but the LPG.

Don't you have the LCDi4? Are you using the LPG with it? If so, I wouldn't be surprised.

Anybody tried to the QP2R?
I don't have the LCDi4, the lack of isolation is not so attractive to me. It tried it with the LPG though and it worked well.

I tried the QP2R briefly, seemed technically strong, but quite hissy with the VE8 (which is sensitive).

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #147 of 317
QP2R doesn't seem to be a good source for most IEMs as it has a noticeable hiss. The more sensitive the iem the louder the hiss. This hiss level is the same at each every gain. It appears the QP2R was designed to drive headphones. But then LPG pairs well with a lot of iems and headphones alike. With KSE1500 and iSine20, LPG has been my DAP of choice (largely due to it's excellent PEQ) lately as other sources don't seem to work well with these iems.

So I'm not surprise to hear LPG works as well with SE5U.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #148 of 317
QP2R doesn't seem to be a good source for most IEMs as it has a noticeable hiss. The more sensitive the iem the louder the hiss. This hiss level is the same at each every gain. It appears the QP2R was designed to drive headphones. But then LPG pairs well with a lot of iems and headphones alike. With KSE1500 and iSine20, LPG has been my DAP of choice (largely due to it's excellent PEQ) lately as other sources don't seem to work well with these iems.

So I'm not surprise to hear LPG works as well with SE5U.
As a side note, QP2R could work with SE5 as the SE5 hisses with mostly nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back