Spent more money on audio gear than music?
Jul 25, 2009 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

nhancakes

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering with the boat loads of money that's thrown down around here, how many people have actually spent more money on music than they have on their audio equipment. I have way more invested in music at the moment since i try to pick up a new record every 2 weeks or so, but then again all of my stuff is pretty modest comparatively.
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 72
I'm guilty, I most admit the I spend more money on audio gear than I have on music but I'm slowly correcting that fault by visiting records stores at least once or twice every two weeks.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 72
I think i'm like 100:1 for equipment : music collection, but that's cause i get most of my music for free

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 72
Oh ya! Way more money spent on equipment than music. It would take 10 lifetimes of listening to new music every day to spend as much on music...

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 72
Guilty as charged.
smily_headphones1.gif
The value of my gear outweighs the value of my music collection.

But I'm planning to change that.

The past three years have been an odyssey of discovery with the gear. I've owned around 20 pairs of headphones, five pairs of speakers and I'm not sure how many amps and sources.

Now, finally, I think I've got the gear nailed down. I can't see owning any other headphones, I'm pretty well set on keeping the Quads and Orions, the turntable is my my dream rig, and I'll upgrade my digital source every few years. It's going to take 12-18 months to finish building my amp projects - but I already have the parts.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel. I've been averaging two or three discs (SACD, vinyl and CDs) each week and plan to increase that as time goes on. In another three years, I expect the music collection to pull even and then go ahead.

People talk about loving gear as sort of a bad thing. It isn't. Discovering my likes and dislikes has been a blast. Building an amp is like piecing together a three dimensional jigsaw puzzle - it is a blast. I think it's wise to consider both the gear and music. That's the best way to maximize pleasure in this hobby.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinjai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i'm like 100:1 for equipment : music collection, but that's cause i get most of my music for free

I wouldn't be surprised if a very large portion of the younger users here don't buy their music. It's hard to justify the more expensive option when you don't have much to spend in the first place.

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 72
Roughly, i'm at about 10:1, music vs gear - of course music costs considerably less these days, but that just leads to buying more!
And accordingto my last.fm scrobbles, i've played over 41,000 tracks in the last 2 years - so i'm getting my moneys worth.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People talk about loving gear as sort of a bad thing. It isn't. Discovering my likes and dislikes has been a blast. Building an amp is like piecing together a three dimensional jigsaw puzzle - it is a blast. I think it's wise to consider both the gear and music. That's the best way to maximize pleasure in this hobby.

Absolutely. Building a system is fun hobby on its own.

Moreover, the value of music is not only what you paid for it. I have just one SACD that I would spend a fortune on to reproduce transparently and emotionally because I like the performance so much.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 72
Yes, spent more on the equipment than on the music. I have enough very good music already that 'deserves' a very good rig to fully enjoy them. I think Quadrangulum puts it right.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #12 of 72
Guilty as charge!
Admitting that I have spent more money on equipment than on music. That may be about to change though, as I have settled in quite nicely gear wise, and spend more money on music these days.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 72
If we're adding computers to gear I use to playback music then yes I do. I don't really see it that way though and if I my computer doesn't count I don't think I've spend more money on gear than I did on music.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, spent more on the equipment than on the music. I have enough very good music already that 'deserves' a very good rig to fully enjoy them. I think Quadrangulum puts it right.

True I can see myself reaching a point where i'm fully content with my music collection and building my audio equipment around it. the wallet won't be too happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't be surprised if a very large portion of the younger users here don't buy their music. It's hard to justify the more expensive option when you don't have much to spend in the first place.

But if you like it enough you end up paying for it eventually.
tongue_smile.gif

My physical music collection is terribly small. I'd say if I compared it to the total amount of music I have It'd probably be 1,000:1 or 10,000:1, somewhere along that.

That being said I'm working to change that (ever so slowly), although it does suck when a good portion of the music you listen to is hard as snot to get ahold of.

Even compared to the amount of gear I have it's pretty sad. Hopefully sooner or later I'll get a job and save up for some serious business equipment (JH-13s anyone?) so I have an excuse not to buy more stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back