Spending money on USB converter or amplifier? Help me choose
Sep 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #31 of 47
  Because the combined cost of my setup is around 1000$ so I couldn't justify spending four times the amount of money on a USB->SPDIF converter :)

Fair enough and do let us know how you think about 01 when it arrive. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #32 of 47
I will. All though I only have a crappy usb to spdif converter to compare it to. However, I can inform you as to how easy it is to setup. My laptop has a history of rejecting other sound drivers, so if it works with me I wouldn't be worried with any other source :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #33 of 47
I would like those claiming that an expensive converter is key to put their DAC against the ODAC both via measurements and blind A/B testing.  I hypothesize that they will be shocked that the ODAC performs at the same level if not above their expensive gear.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #34 of 47
  I would like those claiming that an expensive converter is key to put their DAC against the ODAC both via measurements and blind A/B testing.  I hypothesize that they will be shocked that the ODAC performs at the same level if not above their expensive gear.

It doesn't have to be expensive to be good, ... if you shop smart.
wink.gif

From my somewhat limited experience with different USB converters and on the board USB implementations, iFi Audio iLink combined with their iUSB Power is the best bang for the buck today.
Yes, you can go all balls out for BADA USB interface or OR5 but I don't think going for converter that cost twice the price of the DAC you have is a smart purchase decision.
I'd just sell the DAC and get Auralic Vega, will cost less and sound better than combined solution.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #35 of 47
If that was the case, everyone would have an ODAC. But thats hardly the case.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #36 of 47
Dude, I havn't even heard the unit yet - I just bought it. I am not saying that the Musiland is better than the ap2, but in general - you often pay for marketing and company profits when you buy hifi equipment. I am sure that you yourself have experienced an expensive piece of equipment that sounds worse than a cheap one :)

I can assure you that listening to the unit will not aid you in the search of how jitter is managed with the 01. Im suggesting that you consider doing some research rather than going with a product someone shouts and claims to the best.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #37 of 47
I can assure you that listening to the unit will not aid you in the search of how jitter is managed with the 01. Im suggesting that you consider doing some research rather than going with a product someone shouts and claims to the best.

Something like this?

source : http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/musiland-usb/

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #38 of 47
Sep 6, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #40 of 47
Right, youve provided a graph. I was curious as to how jitter elimination was done with the particular unit.

Edit: My mistake, reading the provided link.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #42 of 47
IMO, source is more important than amp, source can give your system a big change and I think it is the best cost-effective solution. The amp just give a little change to your system. Especially the better the amps are, the better they will reflect your systems mistake. So you need to upgrade your source first.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #43 of 47
IMO, source is more important than amp, source can give your system a big change and I think it is the best cost-effective solution. The amp just give a little change to your system. Especially the better the amps are, the better they will reflect your systems mistake. So you need to upgrade your source first.

I agree with you to a certain degree. However, the amp will vastly change the sonics just as much as a converter.

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #44 of 47
UPDATE on the Musiland 01 USD.
I just got the usb converter that I settled on and as promised, here are my impressions:

Setup was easy. I just installed the driver that came along with it and after waiting 10sec upon plugging it in it automaticly takes priority as primary sound driver in WIN7. 

I also had to change my output setting in winamp. The only downside so far is that other sound sources (such as youtube) sometimes start without sound (and then I have to wait 10sec), It's as if the first time you use it for a new source, you have to wait for 10sec (the browser being a source). Maybe this can be fixed with settings.

Overall: Easy to use. My old (crappy) USB converter made my DAC lock on and of all the time, but this on stays locked without any effort on my behalf. And yes, 32bit is automaticly selected - no problem. I played 24bit flac and also no problem.

Sound quality
It is a VERY dramatic increase in SQ over my old (10$) USB converter. It is similar to upgrading a DAC I would say. Perhaps it's not quite as big an upgrade as going from Dacmagic-> Benchmark DAC1 with crap usb converter, but it's up there (I don't quite remember acutally, so I couldn't be sure).

I'd describe the upgrade as: Cleaner sound, voices sound much more real, more detail. I didn't notice a change in sound signature - only less distorition.

I can't compare it to any decent usb converter, but it still gets my recommendation for being cheap, easy to use (with an otherwise troubling source), and for being a SUBSTANTIAL improvement over a 10$ usb converter for only 55$. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back