Spending money on USB converter or amplifier? Help me choose
Sep 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #16 of 47
Hmm, would it be possible to (more or less) agree on a point of diminishing returns for USB converters?
By that I mean: is a M2tech hiface v1 for example, good enough for further improvements to be not worth the money? 

I would also really love to hear, if you could recommend specific models. Thanks for all the replies- I really appreciate it :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #17 of 47
Might be a good read : http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/reader-contribution-musiland-review/

SUMMARY
Are the Musiland Monitors with digital output the best USB to SPDIF interfaces I have heard (new standard). In other words better then the M2Tech EVO, Hi-face, Audiophilleo 2, John Kenny Mk 2, etc… That I had tried before? – Answer = YES! Beat the best by a hair – the EVO, with a vastly better control panel.
Are they reasonably good as an analog-out DAC? With the huge advantage of being able to easily handle native 24/352K files, could they match some really good tubed DACs? Answer – definitely NO! And that would be asking too much – I agree!
Are they reasonably good headphone amps? Answer= YES and NO. They are in no way in the same league as say a Woo Audio WA6SE, or even the EarMax, but they are pretty good and very portable.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #19 of 47
Hmm, would it be possible to (more or less) agree on a point of diminishing returns for USB converters?

By that I mean: is a M2tech hiface v1 for example, good enough for further improvements to be not worth the money? 

I would also really love to hear, if you could recommend specific models. Thanks for all the replies- I really appreciate it :)

Ive tried the M2tech hiface2 as well as the hiface EVO. The EVO model was unacceptable, It was immediately returned after about 4 days. The reason for my return was due to the fact that it was unsparingly bright and too "in-your-face". After doing a relatively long search, I had found an page indicating that the earlier EVO had a much larger clock than the newer ones, which I had received. Im not certain that the smaller clock caused these problems but I refused to deal with M2tech. If youd like, you may try the hiface1 or 2 but personally, I wouldnt recommend it as you are still getting a "dirty" signal. You would get the best performance when going with a unit that offers a separate power supply. Going with a proper usb-to-spdif converter along side a power supply will guarantee a significant gain, especially over interconnects.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #21 of 47
FYI, I have a pair of some very serious interconnects, TOTL headphone cables from Artemis, as well as a pure 5N silver coaxial cable. Im quite familiar with the effects of good cable. I will again state that there is no way cables provide a larger sonic benefit over converters, it isn't even close enough to be of a subjective matter. I do not know how you've come to those conclusions but I would highly advise you to re-do the research before you further provide misleading information.

I'm curious as to exactly which converters you've auditioned? "M2tech Hiface" come in 3 different kinds and they can be had for less than $150.00. A Hiface model also does not have any means of a separate power supply. Are you familiar with what a "dirty" signal is in the usb audio topic?

Fair enough, I just don't wanna argue with these non-conclusion topics. Your statement doesn't have any proof to strengthen it since this kind of topic is all about "your feeling", same with the endless topic "does cable make a difference".

FYI, I've tried the AP2 non PP, yep the difference is there, but hard to spot on, unlike changing the ICs, my WW Plat 6 just strikes right to my face yet it's just a average ic.

There is no argument, Im only stating the facts. If we are comparing copper wires vs silver wires, maybe it would be harder for us to come to an agreement. But a converter vs cables? Come on..really..?

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #22 of 47

As you can see, there are 2 units. 1 being a power supply and the other being the uts. When audio and power is drawn from my usb port, it passes though the power supply prior to it going to the converter.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #23 of 47
I ended up buying the Musiland Monitor 01 2012 edition (should be very different from earlier version) after reading this review: http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/musiland-devices-reader-review/

Maybe I will buy something to clean up my USB power, but 58$ for this!!!:
  So far the 01, has easily beat the Audiophilleo 2 and the Hi Face USB

Even if it is a subjective opinion. I don't want to pay for something where a 58$ and a 1000$ unit can even get close to each other.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #24 of 47
I ended up buying the Musiland Monitor 01 2012 edition (should be very different from earlier version) after reading this review: http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/musiland-devices-reader-review/

Maybe I will buy something to clean up my USB power, but 58$ for this!!!:
 [COLOR=555555] So far the 01, has easily beat the Audiophilleo 2 and the Hi Face USB[/COLOR]

Even if it is a subjective opinion. I don't want to pay for something where a 58$ and a 1000$ unit can even get close to each other.

You get what you pay for. Good luck with choices! Cheers.

Ive never heard of the 01, but Im pretty sure it cannot "beat" the ap2

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #26 of 47

Thank you for your help, but I strongly disagree with that statement within the world of hifi :D 

In that case, would you please be kind enough to elaborate on how the 01 approaches jitter?

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #27 of 47
Seems good but if you were ready to spend a thousand for a USB converter why not spend "a bit" more and get the very best (subjectively), the 03 USD? 
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #28 of 47
Dude, I havn't even heard the unit yet - I just bought it. I am not saying that the Musiland is better than the ap2, but in general - you often pay for marketing and company profits when you buy hifi equipment. I am sure that you yourself have experienced an expensive piece of equipment that sounds worse than a cheap one :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #29 of 47

Thank you for your help, but I strongly disagree with that statement within the world of hifi :D 

Ive auditioned the audiophilleo with its pp. But ive obviously settled for something else, which costs considerably much less. And I can agree with you with your statement. But I advise you to shop around before making any quick decisions.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #30 of 47
  Seems good but if you were ready to spend a thousand for a USB converter why not spend "a bit" more and get the very best (subjectively), the 03 USD? 
wink.gif

Because the combined cost of my setup is around 1000$ so I couldn't justify spending four times the amount of money on a USB->SPDIF converter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back