Spending $1,500 on 5+ Headphones to Compare for YOU guys. Which Ones Qualify?
Dec 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #107 of 147
I'll go with the 598, but with his ears it's anyone's game. :)

But let's put together what he likes. He seems to actually like some bass. He likes large sound stages. He wants a darker sound that is forgiving, but wants it to be a bit warm instead of flat. Hmm... I'll throw the Philip L1 into the ring here.

Very analytical of you. :)

When I listened to my friend's HD600, I heard something there that I did not hear with HD380. I think it was probably more clarity in sound ... BUT... like I said, some high treble notes were just too blendishly piercing to my ear.

Maybe it's because they needed a good amp? I always hear that an AMP, especially for the 300ohm rated phones would fix the thin sounding notes, add warmth, depth, bass, etc. Maybe the problem is the source.

This weekend, will pick 2-3 headphones including the HD600 and go listen to them at a friend's place. He's using a MAC with a pretty good sound card that should do well.

What sound card is he using? Well, the Philip L1's are anything but harsh in the highs. They're more smooth and laid back. They have deep tight bass and a sound stage that is pretty good for it's semi-open design. The bass isn't the fastest and the mids are present in a natural forgiving way but I wouldn't say they are forward. The headphone is on the darker side and warm. I prefer listening to them taped (modding them into a closed headphone) because, to me at least, they sound more intimate.

It you can spare a little pocket change I'd also suggest you try the Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR-1000 (which are the same headphone). They'll be the cheapest headphone you'll pick up because both models (Takstar/Gemini) can be found for under $70.

They're not the best of the best, but for the best of the best you're going to need an amp. Which is why I find your "no amp" rule ridiculous. Especially being there are so many portable amplifiers for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #108 of 147
What sound card is he using? Well, the Philip L1's are anything but harsh in the highs. They're more smooth and laid back. They have deep tight bass and a sound stage that is pretty good for it's semi-open design. The bass isn't the fastest and the mids are present in a natural forgiving way but I wouldn't say they are forward. The headphone is on the darker side and warm. I prefer listening to them taped (modding them into a closed headphone) because, to me at least, they sound more intimate.

It you can spare a little pocket change I'd also suggest you try the Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR-1000 (which are the same headphone). They'll be the cheapest headphone you'll pick up because both models (Takstar/Gemini) can be found for under $70.

They're not the best of the best, but for the best of the best you're going to need an amp. Which is why I find your "no amp" rule ridiculous. Especially being there are so many portable amplifiers for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Suggest an AMP and I'll buy it.

Reason why I am judging these without an amp is because I plan to use them at home as well as outside, BUT .... if I find that let's say an open headphone like (HD598 or HD600 or Graddos) sound WAYYY better than the closed HD380 ... I may just keep 1 Open headphones pair and only listen to awesome sound at home through an AMP.

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #109 of 147
If you find the HD600 harsh, I'm 99% sure you're going to hate the Grado that you just bought.

Dec 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #110 of 147
If you find the HD600 harsh, I'm 99% sure you're going to hate the Grado that you just bought.

At least he didn't get the 325is. He would be seething at the mouth due to those highs.

As for an amplifier... I think a FiiO E11 would do you well and they're only $59 new.

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #111 of 147
This thread is hilarious.  I guess it is one approach to learn about over the ear headphones.  But for a newbie to suggest he will do us a favor and blow $1500 and then write us a review of the stuff he has heard is ..........well ...........a bit confusing.

I sure do hope others may look at this thread and learn.  The original poster says he will be listening to them on a train.  Big city perhaps?  Why not go to a place like B&H and listen to 10 cans.  It would save a lot in freight costs.  Or better yet, go to a Head-Fi meet.  Now there is a thought.  Even if one is several hundred $ away you will learn much more and perhaps find the perfect can.  Can't wait, buy something used to tide you over then go to a meet.

I guess I am also a bit old school.  Most of the cans on the lists you made are huge, nothing portable about them.  You want portable but over the ear, go read Macedonian Heros thread as someone suggested.  And as another poster said, don''t get bent out of shape if your tastes don't match what you like.  Or don;t ask for any suggestions if you do.

Finally, this site has tons and I mean tons of great information on portable over the ears.  you just gotta look and read, then hone in and ask for some opinions, but give us lots more info on what you like or dislike rather than starting a thread that tells us you are going to do some comparing for us.  Okay off soapbox now.

Do let us know what you finally like best.

Oh, the mods may want to get this thread moved to the right thread like this one:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/7840/introductions-help-and-recommendations

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #112 of 147
Yep! I though he will hate the Grado as well! 99.99999999999999999999% sure :D

As for amp, the E17/E07K will do as a DAC/amp but if you want purely amp, go for the E11/O2/E12.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #113 of 147
  This thread is hilarious.  I guess it is one approach to learn about over the ear headphones.  But for a newbie to suggest he will do us a favor and blow $1500 and then write us a review of the stuff he has heard is ..........well ...........a bit confusing.

I sure do hope others may look at this thread and learn.  The original poster says he will be listening to them on a train.  Big city perhaps?  Why not go to a place like B&H and listen to 10 cans.  It would save a lot in freight costs.  Or better yet, go to a Head-Fi meet.  Now there is a thought.  Even if one is several hundred $ away you will learn much more and perhaps find the perfect can.  Can't wait, buy something used to tide you over then go to a meet.

I guess I am also a bit old school.  Most of the cans on the lists you made are huge, nothing portable about them.  You want portable but over the ear, go read Macedonian Heros thread as someone suggested.  And as another poster said, don''t get bent out of shape if your tastes don't match what you like.  Or don;t ask for any suggestions if you do.

Finally, this site has tons and I mean tons of great information on portable over the ears.  you just gotta look and read, then hone in and ask for some opinions, but give us lots more info on what you like or dislike rather than starting a thread that tells us you are going to do some comparing for us.  Okay off soapbox now.

Do let us know what you finally like best.

Oh, the mods may want to get this thread moved to the right thread like this one:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/7840/introductions-help-and-recommendations

With all due respect ... I am glad I was able to make you laugh.
The title of this thread was written more to be an attention grabber. Not to say that I am doing you a favor in reviewing headphones.

I am not a Hi-Fi Magazine editor. I can test things (even if it's not the right way for all) for my own purpose which is, to use the headphones in the environment I am in as well as from the source I am able to use.

I do greatly appreciate when you tell me that what I am doing is not scientifically correct. I get that.

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #114 of 147

So ... these boys arrived.

1.  Beyerdynamic DT-1350-80   
  2.  Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones  
  3.  Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Headphones  
  5. Grado SR 225i headphones
  7. Sennheiser Momentum (Black)
  8. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not going to write any full feedback or reviews.

All I'll say is ... this time around it's much harder to pick out a good one pair.

Out of the box ... Sennheiser Momentum .... very impressive. Some songs sound better than HD380 that I so much like(d). I didn't think I'd like Momentum for their (cool) Beats kind of a design, but they sound very nice. And ... very portable with a short cord and iphone control.

Shure SRH840 and Sennheiser HD598 are being taken through Burn-in for the full night. (both sound not bad but I heard they need burn in. Shure looks so weird on my head it's crazy. What were they thinking.

Grados .... hmm, undecided. Sometimes too bright. Not really feeling it though there are some good notices I hear too.

Beyerdynamics DT-1350 ... disappointment. Highs sound bad. Distorted and unnatural.

Anyway, as of right now ... most impressed with Momentum. After ...Shure and HD598 are very interesting.

Let's see how they all compare tomorrow.

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #115 of 147
Dislikes the highs on the DT-1350. Only finds the Grado's highs bright sometimes. :popcorn:

On another note; the momentum's actually make a lot of sense for you. They might not have that tight bass that you want, but they are forgiving and laid back with nice imagining. Which seems to be a trend with the headphones you've liked. Still pulling for the HD598 though because it doesn't get enough love imo.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #117 of 147
The DT1350 is very picky with the seal. It took me several days to find to right adjustment and "spot" on my ears.

And the HD598 shouldn't need any more burn-in than the HD380 - they have the same drivers.

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #118 of 147
  The DT1350 is very picky with the seal. It took me several days to find to right adjustment and "spot" on my ears.

And the HD598 shouldn't need any more burn-in than the HD380 - they have the same drivers.

Strange ... right out of the box HD380 sounded better to me than HD598. 
Again ... I do notice that HD380 is not up to par at some sounds but all around, pretty good especially at $140.
Momentum is very, very comfortable and portable ... but it has it's own downfalls. 

anyway, will do some critical comparison later today and tomorrow. Will write up something later

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #119 of 147
Ok ............................Testing is over. Call it scientific or not, this is someone using an iPhone and comparing sounds as well as overall presence of the headphones.

just to remind ... this is what the comparison was about now

Sennheiser HD380
 Beyerdynamic DT-1350-80 
 Shure SRH840 Professional Monitoring Headphones
Grado SR 225i headphones
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser Momentum (Black)

As stated previously ... for me Sennheiser HD380 won over the Beyerdynamic DT-770 (though was close), KEF M500 (hated it), SoundMAGIC HP100 (don't know what the fuss is about ... maybe needed an amp)

This time picking the right set was more difficult, however, choice was clear. .......... Sennheiser HD380.

So .... if I had to rank them ....

6th Place = Beyerdynamics DT-1350
I don't know ... it sounded like cr*p. Didn't like the look, the style, the fit, nothing. Went back into the box after about 10 min.

5th Place = Grado SR225i
​I can see why some would say that these are extremely detailed headphones. I agree. And the reason is ... they are very bright. Once you make something in sound too bright, some may see it as "detailed" as every note is piercing through your ear. I am not a fan, sorry. Also, quality or earpads is poor. Didn't like the fit at all.

4th Place = Sennheiser HD598
I really wanted to like it. I ran them (burn-in) for about 15 or so hours. I gave them a chance.
First of all .. I thought they'd feel a bit more expensive. To me they felt a bit cheap. Now ... to the sound. It seems like these cans are very good for some music styles but I wouldn't call them a versatile piece. They sounded a bit thin to me if that makes sense. Soundstage was there but it's like they were missing warmth. Thin sound, possibly good for classical only music but they were not as good for Smooth Jazz or Pop or Dance or even HipHop. Surprisingly they were the only set that distorted at some points of loud songs. I didn't like that.

3rd place = Shure SRH840 (almost 2nd place)
They are brighter than HD380 which to many would feel like they are more detailed. They overall have a very good sound. One thing I hate is how they look on the head. It's crazy ugly. Never go outside with these. In terms of sound .... very nice. I would even say that they are HD380 but a bit brighter. For me that extra bright sound made some instruments a bit too much at higher than usual volume. If you find that HD380 is just tooooo dark for you, this Shure set may be your answer. Just don't take it out of the house.

2nd Place = Sennheiser Momentum (Over ear)
Whoever suggested these based on what I've been writing in this thread ... good job. 
First of all ... very comfortable to wear. Look very cool. If I wanted to use them on the go ... these would be the winners. Cool look, short cord with iPhone control, look expensive, not too big on the head... just nice. In terms of sound .... just a tad brighter than HD380 but there is a trade-off. For their cool look and smaller size, they were missing that extra "umph". Some songs sounded very very nice. Some may even sounded better than HD380 and thus I thought that these would win. At the end of the day when I really started comparing one to another, it felt that these were the younger brother of HD380.

1st place = Sennheiser HD380
These are not for everyone. I prefer sound to be full, with depth, with feeling of a subwoofer present, with treble not killing my ears. I also wanted cans that are somewhat forgiving. If recording is bad or too bright, I want to still enjoy the sound. These are great. 
Natural sound. Yes, compared to other bright cans, this one feels like there is a "veil" over it....until you realize that those other bright headphones are the problem. This set makes you feel as if you're there in a 5th row of a concert. Music feels like it's not being pushed into your ears, instead you feel like you're at a concert. ... very cool feeling. They squash your head, yes .... solution.... put them over a pillow to stretch for 24 hours and they'll be perfect.

As I am writing this I realize that my testing was done at the moderately high volume. Maybe if I lowered volume to 70% of iPhone power I would pick a different set. Maybe at 70% volume those high ear piercing notes would not be there, sound would feel more detailed ... possibly. Maybe that will be my next test ... lowering the volume.

I tried to be honest with my choice. Even thought I read rave reviews of HD380 on the web, I still tried to be objective. Now that I picked the winner, those hundreds of reviews for HD380 just add confidence to my choice.

I've been rambling .... anyway ... hopefully this info will be helpful to someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back