speed AND weight ? ADDIEM vs K319 vs PFE vs PX100
Jul 19, 2010 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vonjuergen

Head-Fier
OK2, PFE, K319, ADDIEM, MX760 - known speed and instrument separation champs.

But Speed alone isnt enough - a LITTLE weight, fullness, body, density is needed for a punchy pacey presentation. too much body harms separation. I love to hear the change of tone as accurate as possible.

which bud has got the greatest speed & weight factor ?

(i love bassguitar drums (hi-hat, snare, basedrum) percussion and piano - crisp and bright presentation - which one to choose ? )

Thankyou

J

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 13
cant speak for the other earphones here, but CM700s aren't known for having "weight" to its sound, the earphone's a bit on the bass-deficient side which makes the sound less "weighty"

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 13
You're looking at a range of products there.

I do agree with that it's important to create a well presented sound that is both clean and well bodied.  Many products don't really pull off both aspects great.

Did you have a budget?

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 13
vonjuergen: You are putting both IEM's (PFE) and earbuds in the same list. Is that right? It's like choosing between fish and meat... too different things, hard to compare them.

If you want to keep considering earbuds, did you read this thread? It talks about some Sennheiser models that could satisfy your criteria.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 13
thankyou mudo.

actually i am asking which system or model is better iem or earbud in regard to weight and speed.

my feeling is that the larger drivers of earbuds may do that job better as they are moving more mass.

i have only tried one iem so far - a ue sf5 - and thougt it had absolute no density.

thats why i am asking

the models that i have mentioned are - by posts - the bestbuys for my needs and budget.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 13
reading through it again, i have to say again that the cm700 definitely should be crossed off your list. the cm700 is wonderfully balanced, but it's definitely a stretch to call it full-bodied. the yuins in that regard are much better but dont have the (perceived) speed of the cm700

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Earbuds usually use dynamic drivers. Some IEMS use it too, but others have one (or many) balance armature or the now more popular moving armature.

If you like the sound of earbuds (in general) maybe you should look into IEM models that use dynamic drivers.

On the other hand probably you will have to find a compromise between speed and weight. Hope I won't be flamed because of this, but *as far as I know* those are nearly opposites qualities (at least if you use one single driver). I mean: you need to move a lot of air to make that impact happen and you need to move air very quickly and have a very "light" moving part to offer detail. Maybe that is a limitation of the current technologies used.

Hope that more experienced people can correct me if I'm wrong.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Well I have been looking for IEM that are not so claustrophobic and a bit like earbuds, and I was recommended IEM with dynamic drivers with vent, such as phia ps210 (80$ on amazon), Panasonic HJE900 (130$, here great review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502289/panasonic-rp-hje900-zirconia-revie w), and Audio technica dynamic IEM like cks70. you may have a look into those.
Earbuds are a little complicate because of fit.
I bought a mx 880 which I loved the SQ, but they wouldn't fit me well, anyway I try.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 13
rating by posts so far

1.  AKG K319      speed & body, open, pacey
2.  Phonak PFE   bright & fast, less open, less pacey
3.  ADDIEM         bright & fast
4.  Sennheiser MM60 (=PX100) classic good bass
5.  Phillips SHH 9506

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #13 of 13
Three come to mind
-Triple.Fi 10
-Custom 3
-ER4S

All three of these offer presentations that have a thicker than average note but also retain good detail and decent separation.  Even a "muddy" BA earphone is still pretty darn clean sounding relative to what a muddy dynamic can be.

The Triple.Fi 10 offers the most robust sound.  I like to describe it as a club like experience.  It is energetic and enveloping with emphasized highs and a dominant bass line driving the experience.  It responds great to EQing, and despite the V shaped response out of the box it can really be balanced out and give a more analytical presentation

The Custom 3 is a little more tame and balanced.  There is good weight and energy in the note, and dynamic range is good.  The sound stage is what's best about this earphone as it is well sized and with good linearity in presentation.  The sound is well defined and balanced.  The crossover setup is slightly gapped in the midrange and does help separate and emphasize bass and treble a little while sacrificing some forwardness of the mids.  EQing up that midrange point or not, it sounds good.

The ER4S has been around for over 15 years.  As a single BA setup it is somewhat limited in frequency response, yet for what it does offer the presentation is articulate and detailed.  The design favors subtlety and balance.  It is an earphone I do suggest running with an amp though.  The ER4P is a lower ohm design running a different yet very similar driver that is better suited for non-amp setups.  The overall performance is slightly less though.  This old reference product is still outstanding among todays offerings, but it doesn't compete on the low end or high end of the frequency spectrum versus the dual or triple driver earphones out there, and it is becoming increasingly hard to recommend in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back