Specifically Vocals, Mids : Denon ahd1100 vs hfi 580
Jan 6, 2012 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drftg1011

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.
I could not find the information i needed in any other threads so i decided to post my questions here. Thanks for your help in advance

today i just auditioned a pair of said denon headphones. To me, the vocals sounded rather mediocre as did the mids but the bass seemed tight enough. This is kinda a problem as i wanna have clear, forward vocals in my cans.

I read several reviews about the hfi 580s and they seemed to indicate rather clearly that the mids,vocals and highs were all better than the d1100s while the d1100s are more outstanding in only one department(soundstage).  I was using the m50 as a benchmark for the reviews. 

so i guess i gotta turn to you guys on the forum who have heard these 2 cans themselves.

My questions are 
1. Is the hfi 580 really a better pair of all round cans in terms of sound quality alone? Meaning lows, mids, highs, soundstage and treble

2. Does any of this change after burn in? Do the denons suddenly explode in sound quality and become a monster?

3. Are they equally well driven by portables? Specifically an itouch

As you might have deduced by now i'm kinda hopeful for the denons as they are so damn comfortable.

Thanks once again

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
1. Is the hfi 580 really a better pair of all round cans in terms of sound quality alone? Meaning lows, mids, highs, soundstage and treble

HFi580 is mainly a bassy headphone, punchy bass, good mids and high and goond soudstage for a closed headphone. HFi 780 is better in the soudstage and more refined and detailled but i can't compare them to D1100 (not tested).

Quote:
3. Are they equally well driven by portables? Specifically an itouch

Yes for HFi580/780.

But if you want better vocals with some good bass, look for SRH840.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 3
thanks alot for the help man

although what i need is an exact head to head comparison between the 2 cans for anyone who has experience listening to both of them
lets say a score out of 10 for 
low
mid
high
soundstage
treble

Any help is greatly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back