Specific Urgent Request (local, $150, closed, comfort)
Mar 1, 2007 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

JustinB

New Head-Fier
Here's the deal.

My headphones just broke.

I'm a programmer and I've got deadlines at work. I can't get anything done in this noisy joint without
3000smile.gif

Budget $150
Requirements: Can buy locally in Orange County CA (example, best buy, circut city, and the like).

Priorities:

1) Comfort (i wear them 10 hours per day)
2) Block out the outside world (doesnt need active noise canceling, but a good seal maybe?)
3) Versitile (I listen to a very broad range of music)

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 35
You might be able to talk your local Guitar Center into selling you a pair of DT770 Pro/80's for around that much. They completely meet the requirements that you specified.

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
negotiate with them? do they work in a normal computer headphone jack?

i believe they come with a minijack for a computer, but a 1/4 adapter for the home stuff too. just bring in a printout of a place you can get them online for $150 and they'll match. make certain it's the DT770/80 ohm pro tho - don't get saddled with the 250 ohm or god forbid the 600 ohm.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 35
also:

in the specifications, it says

Connection: Gold-plated stereo jack plug (3.5 mm) and 1/4" adapter (6.35 mm)

Is that what I need for a computer mini jack? or do i need to get an extra adapter.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just bring in a printout of a place you can get them online for $150 and they'll match. make certain it's the DT770/80 ohm pro tho - don't get saddled with the 250 ohm or god forbid the 600 ohm.

Hmmm, the usual sources (Pricegrabber, Amazon, even Fleabay) are turning up 199, TTVJ has 209. Where can they be had for 150?

Quote:

also:

Is that what I need for a computer mini jack? or do i need to get an extra adapter.

3.5 mm is what you're looking for, so no. Also, 1/4" headphones tend to come with a 1/8" adapter anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

also:

The 3.5 can be used on pretty much any computer. You won't have to buy something else to be able to connect it to a regular soundcard. Search on google for "mini plug" and you will get lots of pictures of 3.5 mm plugs.

Once again, like Jahn already said, make sure you've got the right version. You really do not want to get the 600 Ohm version of this headphone. Or maybe you do and then you can justify buying an amp that can drive them properly.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Edit: this forum is way too fast.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 35
While this busts the local requirement, HeadRoom Corporation has a killer deal on Etymotic ER-4p IEMs on the "B-Stock" page. I paid well over $200 for mine, and feel I got a good value for the money, but they have them at $165. Yea, it blows your budget a little, but they block noise really well, and sound great.

http://www.headphone.com/products/b-stock/

I just got the Shure E500 IEMs from them. Very fast fulfillment.

If you insist upon the $150 limit, they have the UE Super.fi 5 for $115.

I love my IEMs for blocking outside noise.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #11 of 35
IMO, IEMs are not comfortable for a 10 hour day. I use them when riding my motorcycle, but for me at work i'd rather not even know they are there.

All the local guitar center's are sold out of the DT770 Pro/80s
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 35
I am an IEM guy, and I agree - 8 hours a day is more than your ear wants to deal with as far as an IEM. A custom might be different.

that said, i am not sure I could listen to cans 8 hours a day at work either.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am an IEM guy, and I agree - 8 hours a day is more than your ear wants to deal with as far as an IEM. A custom might be different.

that said, i am not sure I could listen to cans 8 hours a day at work either.
eggosmile.gif

I do listen to beyers for the better part of a working day and I must say that I do really appreciate crossfeed. Without that I don't think it would be possible to do so. Right now however I am doing fine.

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 35
do any local stores carry audio technicas? (i.e. guitar center).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back